Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the JD Top/Tilt & when using the FEL, I keep a good bit of ballast on the rear. I would think that it is bad to keep the pressure on the link? I wish that there was a mechanical lock on the cylinder to fasten it closed.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Should I remove it when just running ballast?

Is there some aftermarket lock?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
It's a non issue.

·
Premium Member
9,753 Posts
How much pressure is your ram rated for?

·
Registered
428 Posts
There is a cylinder inside the tractor somewhere that is connected to a linkage that moves the lift arms that are attached to the draft links. there is no mechanical lock for that and it is a lot harder to service. Go easy on the bumps. I suppose if the top link is a small diameter with a large rod in the middle it could become over stressed or the circuit become over pressurized. There are hydraulic top links with extra hydraulic stuff to not move unless pressure is applied.

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Weight/ballast isnt much different than a heavy implement or loaded box blade. It's all going to stress the top link, some more than others. Is this a loaded question? is there a specific reason you're asking, problem?

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weight/ballast isnt much different than a heavy implement or loaded box blade. It's all going to stress the top link, some more than others. Is this a loaded question? is there a specific reason you're asking, problem?
Not sure that I follow "loaded". This is the first hydraulic top/tilt kit that I have ever owned/operated. I just did not know if it was advised to remove when not specifically using an implement that benefits from the in-cab adjustment.

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
A box blade full of material (stone/dirt/etc). Also a BB & Tractor that gets stopped by a scarifier catching a root is going to put a massive shock load on a top link. Don't stress about it, assuming it's sized correctly for the application, you'll be good to go! There are also hydraulic "cushion valves" that can be plumbed in that will provide a hydraulic relief when over pressure situations unintentionally occur.

·
Premium Member
10,339 Posts
I run weight on mine all the time. Like Matt said it is no different than a heavy piece of equipment or pulling a plow. It will extend a little bit on mine but it is no more than a quarter inch an hour. It is easy to shorten right back up.

Reactions: DBCSteve and MattL

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
It can handle it. (y) But as a precaution, don't park it close enough to damage something if it does extend a bit while its parked.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When JD technicians "installed" ours top and side tilt they jokingly mentioned that those pistons look like something from 6series. So I definitely wouldn't worry about leaving any weight on it. Anything 4series 3ph lifts that piston will handle no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.