Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned a gt235 for 15 years and went to a 1025r about 1 month ago (Lucky son-in-law gets the gt, bagger, and plow). Snowblowed for the first time a couple of days ago. Question: when putting the snowplow down, do you have to develop the "touch" to get it flat with the ground? The first time I put it down the all the way, the front wheels kind of raised. I then was kind of OCD in trying to get the snowblower flat with the ground. Is there some adjustment I need to do, or do I just need to develop the "touch" to get it flat with the ground for optimal clearing?

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
have u adjusted ur skid shoes on the blower?? they are what keeps the blower off the ground or cement, etc. once u get the height set, like others will say, u can just set ur stick to float, while going straight ahead. good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should push your lever all the way forward and let it go into float mode.
Float mode? Not sure what that is. If I put the level all the way forward, the snowblower is flat on the ground, but the front wheels kind of raise up. Do I just have to get a feel for getting the snowblower on the ground without raising the front wheels or is there something I am missing here?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Float mode? Not sure what that is. If I put the level all the way forward, the snowblower is flat on the ground, but the front wheels kind of raise up. Do I just have to get a feel for getting the snowblower on the ground without raising the front wheels or is there something I am missing here?
no-but ur not pushing ur loader lever far enough forward. u should feel a jolt, pressure before the lever goes into float mode. if ur front wheels are off the ground, u need to push farther as i said. when in float mode, it allows the hoist cylinders to just flow across the ground freely, without digging in.

experiment with it to see how it works-ok.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,483 Posts

From the Operators Manual
click image to enlarge.

float.png

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic. I will try this out. I have been messing around with trying to get it on the ground without lifting the wheels.

When I raise the snowblower up, do I have to put it forward again to put it in float mode?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Fantastic. I will try this out. I have been messing around with trying to get it on the ground without lifting the wheels.

When I raise the snowblower up, do I have to put it forward again to put it in float mode?
Yes, every time you raise it just push it all the way forward to lower it back down, allowing it to float again.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Mind blown... I was also entirely unaware of "float mode" with the stick, does it actually snap into a locked forward position?

The newest tractor with a loader I've ever operated was made in the early 80's...

Does it need to be running to do this?

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Yes, you will feel the lever snap into float mode. The tractor doesn't have to be running to go into that position.
⬆⬆⬆⬆ Exactly what 56Fordguy said. You will feel the lever click into the detent and it will stay there until you move the lever to raise. You can put it in float anytime and is good for exactly what you're doing.

·
Registered
135 Posts

If it's raised up for more than 4 hours,... oh wait, never mind, that's something else.... :laugh:

Yes. In order to raise it, you need to take it out of float. Go try it out in your garage right now, with the tractor off. The stick will snap into the full forward position. That's float. I typically put mine into float every time I park it, to relieve any pressure in the lines.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Always learn something new... thanks guys!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I owned a gt235 for 15 years and went to a 1025r about 1 month ago (Lucky son-in-law gets the gt, bagger, and plow). Snowblowed for the first time a couple of days ago. Question: when putting the snowplow down, do you have to develop the "touch" to get it flat with the ground? The first time I put it down the all the way, the front wheels kind of raised. I then was kind of OCD in trying to get the snowblower flat with the ground. Is there some adjustment I need to do, or do I just need to develop the "touch" to get it flat with the ground for optimal clearing?
The easiest way to practice is to put the bucket up 4 feet or so. Once you push it all the way forward (and what seems as beyond forward) and release. The loader(plow) will gently float by itself to the ground with no further action on your part...That's float. When initiated while driving it will instantly make you a pro. Its easier if the bucket is up a ways , so it does not hit the ground too soon.

I use a loader...so after float than I just either keep the bottom flat for soft dry snow or angle it down slightly to bite through hard pack and frozen pack, the greater the angle down the more it will cut through to the driveway..and float works just the same allowing me to just concentrate on the angle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all. Works just as explained. This is going to be a great winter.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
The "float" capability is especially nice when your plow path has contours. As I go from my driveway to the main road, there is a rise where the asphalt meets the concrete. When in float, the blade follows that rise perfectly, cleanly clearing everything in its path. With my old tractor, I had to manually adjust the hydraulic lift as I moved through that rise. I rarely did it perfectly.

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2
1 - 18 of 18 Posts