Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

As the title states I have a John Deere 1023e and currently have the snowblower attachment on it. The other day we were hit with some decent snow fall and finally was able to break out the snow blower. However I was at work for 48 hours and my wife decided that she would be awesome wife and snowblow our driveway. Sadly she got the tractor stuck somehow and then somehow broke the tractor. She did a very good job because I currently am not able to get it back together. The part I believe that she broke is the upstop drive shaft on the snow blower. I thought I could just slide it back on but I have struggled to get into back on. I have attached photos of the damage and would like to know if it is able to be reattached or do I just have to eat the cost and buy a new one.

Thank you,

Rob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
It's a little hard to tell from your photos but it looks like a pin may have broken or fallen out which allowed the spline section of the drive shaft to come out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Greetings from PA neighbor! I have never seen one apart like that. That shaft is supposed to go in and out to attach to the tractor. If you cannot line up the splines, they may have gotten damaged. I will check to see if we have one at work to compare, I did a 54" a month ago, but the shaft was a tad larger, yours looks like an X700 shaft. Worst case you will have to buy a new shaft, they attach to the snow blower with a pin that gets hammered in.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Clean up the splines and you will see one is wider than the others. It is one meant to go together one way. You might have to file the ends a little if they got burred up when it came part.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Clean up the splines and you will see one is wider than the others. It is one meant to go together one way. You might have to file the ends a little if they got burred up when it came part.
^^^^^^ What he said. Keep rotating in spline at a time until it slides back together. May take a couple tries, but it will go.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
967 Posts
New Drive Shaft at Mother Deere is in the neighborhood of $450. Oh, and, Good Morning.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
^^^^^^ What he said. Keep rotating in spline at a time until it slides back together. May take a couple tries, but it will go.
What they said. Typically, U-joints are phased, so that one is 180 degrees offset from the offer. This helps prevent the driveshaft from being out of balance. As such, the splines are often "keyed", one wider than the other, to prevent the driveshaft halves from being mis-coupled and, in turn, the U-joints being out of phase.

The splines are somewhat snug tolerance, so the halves must squarely aligned when slid together. Check for any burrs that may have occurred on each end and dress them out with a file.

I'd uncouple the snow blower from the Quick Hitch and move it aside to give yourself a bit more working room. I'm speculating either the Quick Hitch or the snowblower detached when it became stuck or in the process of getting it unstuck.

You probably know this, but mount the Quick Hitch, by itself, on the tractor first, and then the blower to the hitch.

You'll probably need to give the driveshaft splines a few pump of grease once you have everything mated up again.

·
Registered
968 Posts
What they said. Typically, U-joints are phased, so that one is 180 degrees offset from the offer. This helps prevent the driveshaft from being out of balance. As such, the splines are often "keyed", one wider than the other, to prevent the driveshaft halves from being mis-coupled and, in turn, the U-joints being out of phase.

The splines are somewhat snug tolerance, so the halves must squarely aligned when slid together. Check for any burrs that may have occurred on each end and dress them out with a file.

I'd uncouple the snow blower from the Quick Hitch and move it aside to give yourself a bit more wo rking room. I'm speculating either the Quick Hitch or the snowblower detached when it became stuck or in the process of getting it unstuck.

You probably know this, but mount the Quick Hitch, by itself, on the tractor first, and then the blower to the hitch.

You'll probably need to give the driveshaft splines a few pump of grease once you have everything mated up again.

180 degree off set puts them in line as phased together. Simpler to say phased together. The 180 degree offset confuses it.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
One thing the OP didn't mention was whether or not his tractor and snowblower were still under warranty. If so, I would let the dealer have a look at it first.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
One thing the OP didn't mention was whether or not his tractor and snowblower were still under warranty. If so, I would let the dealer have a look at it first.
Getting the tractor stuck and damaging it while doing so or pulling it out would not be a covered failure, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
Getting the tractor stuck and damaging it while doing so or pulling it out would not be a covered failure, in my opinion.
I agree but I don't see how getting the tractor stuck would break the snowblower drive shaft when it runs inside the quick hitch. In any event, it is up to the dealer to grant or deny a warranty repair. The drive shaft separation may be completely unrelated. The owner has nothing to lose by having it looked at.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I agree but I don't see how getting the tractor stuck would break the snowblower drive shaft when it runs inside the quick hitch. In any event, it is up to the dealer to grant or deny a warranty repair. The drive shaft separation may be completely unrelated. The owner has nothing to lose by having it looked at.
I'm speculating either the Quick Hitch or the snowblower detached when it became stuck or in the process of getting it unstuck.
The driveshaft likely separated when the Quick Hitch and/or Snowblower became deatached.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'd be concerned about how it ever separated enough for the shaft to slide apart?? Is there any other damage where the pins hold everything together? I have to wonder if it was set up correctly to begin with...

·
Registered
184 Posts
The driveshaft likely separated when the Quick Hitch and/or Snowblower became deatached.
This happened to me with my 1025r and 54" snowblower.
The snowblower became unattached from the tractor (assume I failed to engage the locking pins).
Since the driveshaft is attached to the tractor, the driveshaft spline pulled out of the snowblower.

All the advice provided is what I did.
Dress the splines with a file, locate the spline/groove that is wider, re-insert the splined shaft.

IIRC, there was a pin that sheared, I did not replace it.

·
Corndog Hater
11,693 Posts
I'd be concerned about how it ever separated enough for the shaft to slide apart?? Is there any other damage where the pins hold everything together? I have to wonder if it was set up correctly to begin with...

Yeah, what he said ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Also, to the OP....I think you will have an easier time lining up the splines if you move your PTO selector to the position for rear PTO, this will allow for free spinning of the mid PTO.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Yeah, what he said ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Also, to the OP....I think you will have an easier time lining up the splines if you move your PTO selector to the position for rear PTO, this will allow for free spinning of the mid PTO.
From the pics it looks like it's not connected to the tractor, just the blower, so shouldn't be an issue. :dunno:

·
Corndog Hater
11,693 Posts
From the pics it looks like it's not connected to the tractor, just the blower, so shouldn't be an issue. :dunno:

Yep, you're right. I had it in my head everything was attached, a closer look at the pics showed it wasn't. My bad.:banghead:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts