Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 X580 48A deck & 44 snowblower
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used 2017 X580 recently and mowed with it 1st time today. On my old X300 and just got used to lifting the button when I backed up. I realized on the X580 about half way through my mowing the RIO switch not pushed made no difference. The PTO ran either way. Looking under the hood the 2 prongs on the back of the yellow RIO dash switch are bare. I’m sure this has been widely covered but I am new to the game of bypassing this switch. Has the previous owner tricked the switch? I looked around under there to see for myself, but not sure what I’m looking for. I’m not complaining and may very well leave it that way. Just want to be sure I understand what has been done to it

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If there are no wires goin the the switch then the connector that should be plugged into the switch has a jumper in it and laying loose under the switch most likely.

·
Registered
2017 X580 48A deck & 44 snowblower
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there are no wires goin the the switch then the connector that should be plugged into the switch has a jumper in it and laying loose under the switch most likely.
Ok perfect thanks! I’ll take a closer look under there for the jumper. but sounds like this is what prior owner must have done. I hate to say it but it was kinda nice not fumbling for that button when reversing.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ok perfect thanks! I’ll take a closer look under there for the jumper. but sounds like this is what prior owner must have done. I hate to say it but it was kinda nice not fumbling for that button when reversing.
I'm a big fan of "mnemonics" as a reminder to do things.

The RIO does not increase my situational awareness of what is behind me. I spent more time trying to remember to use the RIO than I did in watching what is behind me.

Mirrors (and backup cameras) are more my speed since for some reason as I got older my ability to rotate my neck like a robot has went away. :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just questioning the liability issue. John Deere sets the stage for the ROI switch to be reset each time the operator wants to mow in reverse. Cub and Simplicity only require a 1-time ROI reset for the duration of the mowing session. I am all-in on safety, but I wonder why the difference. Is JD more safety conscience or is Simplicity and Cub more concerned with ease of operation. Either way, I think looking backward prior to resetting the ROI is still a issue and not really accomplishing much. And operator attention to locating the ROI switch and resetting it inhibits a back over the shoulder glance. I use my ROI but it's kind of a nuisance and not really any safer. Perhaps a beeper would be more effective.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Muscle memory for using the right hand pto engage lever for RIO develops pretty quick.

Especially if the right hand has been previously 'trained' for things other than steering. Like shifting gears in on a manual transmission mower or operating the variator on one of the variable speed belt drive mowers or running the a hand operated hydro before the foot controls took over.

But of course that 'don't need to think about it' and don't need to look for it' muscle memory also means the step of looking back where you just drove is not likely happening, defeating the whole purpose.

Spent a bunch of years with OEM equipment manufacturers.
It is a certainty that it is a lawyer/legal system driven thing.

Different lawyer interpretations and/or different court settlement requirements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts