Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching spec sheets and the brochure, and cant seem to find the answer to this. It would seem logical to me since this is how the 3 series works. The 3033 is normal aspirated where the 3039 is a turbo charged version of the same engine.

It appeared that the 2032 and the 2038 share the same engine, so if not through the use of a Turbo, how are the bumping up the power like that?

We are considering trading up from our 1023E to a new 2032R or 2038R.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have been searching spec sheets and the brochure, and cant seem to find the answer to this. It would seem logical to me since this is how the 3 series works. The 3033 is normal aspirated where the 3039 is a turbo charged version of the same engine.

It appeared that the 2032 and the 2038 share the same engine, so if not through the use of a Turbo, how are the bumping up the power like that?

The 38 has a turbo on a smaller displacement motor.

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
That is correct sir!

Compact Tractors | 2038R | John Deere US

Scroll down to the specifications and expand the "Engine" section and it shows you the 2032R is naturally aspirated and the 2038R is turbocharged.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

That's what I figured, that it had to have a Turbo.
Just could not find it listed that way. I see it now.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
13,122 Posts

JD confusion factor strikes again. The latest version of the 2R-series brochures incorrectly lists the 2032R and 2038R has having the same engine - which they do not. Likewise, the 3033R and 3039R do not use the same engine. The turbo engines are all slightly less displacement.

Below is breakdown of the engines used:

3033R - 3TNV88C
3039R - 3TNV86CT (Turbo)
3046R - 3TNV86CHT (Turbo)

2032R - 3TNV88C
2038R - 3TNV86CT (Turbo)

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
JD confusion factor strikes again. The latest version of the 2R-series brochures incorrectly lists the 2032R and 2038R has having the same engine - which they do not.
That is technically correct, but they do use the same engine block. Like most turbos, the 2038's engine block is bored out to a smaller displacement to keep it from exploding under increased pressure. Then of course they add the turbo, and so you get the different engine model number.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JD confusion factor strikes again. The latest version of the 2R-series brochures incorrectly lists the 2032R and 2038R has having the same engine - which they do not. Likewise, the 3033R and 3039R do not use the same engine. The turbo engines are all slightly less displacement.

Below is breakdown of the engines used:

3033R - 3TNV88C
3039R - 3TNV86CT (Turbo)
3046R - 3TNV86CHT (Turbo)

2032R - 3TNV88C
2038R - 3TNV86CT (Turbo)
Good to know !

Very interesting.

I am happy to learn I wasn't imagining it, that I did in fact read they used the same engine no mention of turbo's, which didn't really make sense.

The actual engines you listed makes perfect sense.

So it would appear that if we trade our 1023E for a 2038R it will have the same engine as our 3039R.
Not sure why the 1hp difference, maybe the room under the hood allows the 3039 to breath a slightly better or maybe just tuning changes in the software?

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
So it would appear that if we trade our 1023E for a 2038R it will have the same engine as our 3039R.
Not sure why the 1hp difference, maybe the room under the hood allows the 3039 to breath a slightly better or maybe just tuning changes in the software?
I'm not entirely convinced that there is actually a 1hp difference. The 3039 is rated at 2600 RPM and the 2038 is rated at 2500 RPM.

There's some funny stuff going on with JD's Yanmars. The 3TNV88C, for example, the engine in my 2032 and your 3033 (how many tractors does one man need?? :) ), is used in many 35hp tractors, including Yanmar's:

YT235 - Yanmar Tractor

In that one, it's rated at 2800 RPM.

It would be great if someone developed tuning software for these tractors like they do for cars, then we'd know what's actually going on.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not entirely convinced that there is actually a 1hp difference. The 3039 is rated at 2600 RPM and the 2038 is rated at 2500 RPM.

There's some funny stuff going on with JD's Yanmars. The 3TNV88C, for example, the engine in my 2032 and your 3033 (how many tractors does one man need?? :) ), is used in many 35hp tractors, including Yanmar's:

YT235 - Yanmar Tractor

It would be great if someone developed tuning software for these tractors like they do for cars, then we'd know what's actually going on.
Interesting. All good points on the RPM ratings.

As to the tuning. I am not sure what models they offer it for.
However I believe
Duramaxtuners offers tractor tuning.

Power Manager/Tuning - John Deere - Case - New Holland - Versatile - Tractors

I have been using there stuff on my pickups for a few years now.

Reactions: mike01

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts

YT235 - Yanmar Tractor

There was a fairly lengthy thread on that very subject several months ago. In that thread I pointed out that very same point. The distinctions JD makes in their marketing materials use different RPM ratings. My own personal guess is that they use the various numbers to meet regulatory requirements and with the proper software and tuning module, you could easily "boost" most of these engines. Look at the Yanmar tech sheets. Deere publishes numbers but they never match the peak HP rating that Yanmar publishes.

Reactions: mike01 and cc1999

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

YT235 - Yanmar Tractor

Oh, as to the quantity of my current JD collection. I am still sorting that all out as we transition over to our new home and new substantial increase in acreage.
I use to have two homes with approximately 1 acre lots and I had the two older X740s and one X750. I had added that X750, because I was tired of pulling all that bagging system off and installing the mulch kit every season. I had dedicated one of the X740s to strictly fall and winter clean up duty at both properties and kept the other 740 and 750 for mowing only duty at each of the properties.

This has been a wild year to say the least. Found this dream property we have currently undergoing major renovation including home and barn additions.
So at the moment I am having to maintain 3 homes with 3 yards one of which is 10 times larger then what I had before. LOL

The new home has 11 acres with it. So I am spending about 8-10 hours a week on yard work. lol
Which I do enjoy. Any excuse to use my green tractors I am in.

So once we finish all the work on the new home and property, and sell our old home, will be back down to two properties to maintain total about 12 acres and at that point I will have a better idea of what equipment we want to keep, what we need to change out for something larger or smaller, whatever the case may be. Just a lot going on. I fully expect that current lineup to change through out next year as all this transitioning sorts itself out.

·
Registered
937 Posts

YT235 - Yanmar Tractor

My Facebook is full of tractor tuners. I spoke to one once because I was going to delete my 3046. Cost was about $2700 4 years ago. I decided no worth it at the time but will go that route once the dpf needs work. I’ll have them turn up the fuel as well. Should be able to get quite a bit more power out of this engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
As to the tuning. I am not sure what models they offer it for.
However I believe
Duramaxtuners offers tractor tuning.
I'm very curious to know what's going on, but I'm not 2000 dollars curious. :)

My Facebook is full of tractor tuners. I spoke to one once because I was going to delete my 3046. Cost was about $2700 4 years ago. I decided no worth it at the time but will go that route once the dpf needs work. I’ll have them turn up the fuel as well. Should be able to get quite a bit more power out of this engine.
That engine already has a 50% hp boost compared to NA, I'm not sure how much higher you can go without risking engine damage. But if anyone would try it, it would be you! :)

As for DPF delete...glad to know there are options out there. My brief research showed that it was actually federally illegal to do it. Which is a real shame, because the DPF is going to cause problems at some point. Less for me than for you because I don't have a turbo, but still...it will. I hate the things, but I'm not willing to risk a $10,000+ fine and a club fed vacation.

Has anyone ever actually been prosecuted? Of course that's actually an almost irrelevant question. A change in administration and everything that used to be true goes out the window.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
937 Posts
There aren’t any emissions testing places around me so the chances of getting caught are about 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts

The 2038R is turbocharged and it sounds greater when you crank it up.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
I love the idea of the delete, BUT I also love my shop not smelling like diesel exhaust. I'm hoping that by the time my DPF needs replacement there will be more cost effective options.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts