Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course after buying a older 4wd JD tractor that I looked months and months for I now see older John Deere’s everywhere. The 1991 6300 has a very nice cab, I do like my body style more (2950) but non the less the cab is very nice on the inside. Other then low HP and electrical fires in the reviews I haven’t seen much else wrong with the machine. Do not like the low fuel tank but that’s pretty common these daysl, I think it’s only a 540 pto but there are adapters. The clutch isn’t a dry one like on the tractor I purchased so there’s that. I’m not going to buy another tractor I’m already 18,300 into this project of mine, thought it had 4000 hrs but shortly learned that for some reason the RPMs work on the gauge and not the HRS. (if anyone knows how to fix that message me please)

I also found a 4430, very nice on the outside, no hrs mentioned, needs a cab kit and needs a single remote for the loader but with the HP the tractor has I do think I would’ve gotten that tractor if I would’ve seen it first. Coulda shoulda doesn’t do anything but keep you up at night. Maybe after I get the AC and front end seals fixed in my tractor I’ll be happier. I’d like to get to the point of mounting a radio and speakers maybe a cup holder lol. “Accessories”

Attachments

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
My knowledge on JD tractors built after '93 is limited. My neighbor has a 6400(next HP size up) that he's had good service from. On another tractor site(YT) that I frequent I read where a member had a 6400 that he had put 17,000 hrs on it. 4430 with HFWA doesn't had good reputation. Good luck in your search. Iron Horse may I ask where you live?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Maybe you should consider changing your handle to Aggie Horse.:lolol::flag_of_truce: One of my brothers graduated from A&M back in the 50's. It's humid in Coyote Flats also.

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
Maybe you should consider changing your handle to Aggie Horse.:lolol::flag_of_truce: One of my brothers graduated from A&M back in the 50's
Now this thread has the possibility of getting REAL interesting.:laugh:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol it’s a good school to have on a job application or to retire from but I don’t get into college sports or schools. The school is sorta ran like a cult, I don’t care for “yell leaders” over pretty cheerleaders. My 2 sisters and brother-in-law went and a lot of family work there, Im 30 was homeschooled but went to work in construction full time at 16 as a laborer and now my second year contracting... along with raising cattle I’m just trying to bale hay as a hobby because when u need it cut everyone needs it cut and the hay man is always Busy or rushing your field on dull blades. The tractor worked well as a needed tax deduction “moving pallets of drywall mud” but I won’t be able to claim a round baler and such.

If someone needs their home drywalled and is within 75 miles I’ll come put in a bid. Always looking for new home builders too.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The way I envision cutting/baling hay in my area is if it ever stops raining every week everyone including me will want their hay baled at the same time. Oh Joy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The way I envision cutting/baling hay in my area is if it ever stops raining every week everyone including me will want their hay baled at the same time. Oh Joy.
Yes, that’s what I’m trying to avoid my pet peeve is being ignored and you’ll have to call hay men 5-6 times and just leave them messages. I’d love to make 3 cuts a year. Coastal only gets so tall then it falls over, this year they couldn’t get to the part on the low part of a hill because it frosted and was to wet... that was about 50 bales lost. I put a fence around it a couple months ago. Never gonna let that happen again. Turn cows in and let them graze it.... idk about your area but with the long winter Last year, lack of rain when we needed it and army worms... it was bad. Lotta corn stalk got bailed

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
I can only say I like the mfwd better than the hydraulic (too complicated) . As for the low tank, much easier to fill ( I use 6 gallon containers, trucked in). I did add a guard to the tank on my 6415

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
idk about your area but with the long winter Last year, lack of rain when we needed it and army worms... it was bad. Lotta corn stalk got bailed
I know about the corn stalk ordeal . I baled 650 rd bales of corn stalks & feed some of them. I dislike trying to get the netwrap from under the bale after it's been cut for removal. The bales just explode when net is cut. I bought some nice fertilized coastal rd bales that had been frosted on. Horses & cows ate in just fine.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I can only say I like the mfwd better than the hydraulic (too complicated) . As for the low tank, much easier to fill ( I use 6 gallon containers, trucked in). I did add a guard to the tank on my 6415
HFWD was not only complicated but wasn't very powerful plus was only intended for "part time use" just to get through bad spots. I like the lower fuel tank on my Kubota M7040 & it came with a fuel tank shield from the factory.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
idk about your area but with the long winter Last year, lack of rain when we needed it and army worms... it was bad. Lotta corn stalk got bailed
I know about the corn stalk ordeal . I baled 650 rd bales of corn stalks & feed some of them. I dislike trying to get the netwrap from under the bale after it's been cut for removal. The bales just explode when net is cut. I bought some nice fertilized coastal rd bales that had been frosted on. Horses & cows ate in just fine.

Ya frost didn’t seem to hurt to much. Could drive on the hill and it smell like hay, grass was already cured. Honestly I like string bales, net bales won’t last 3 years without the bottom rotting. When you lift them the bottom falls out. I know it’s more efficient for people that bale hay for a living but for me and my personal use... Sorta leaning towards string.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can see that being one advantage. Kubota had them lower when the old man and me were deciding on it or a deere. The 2015 5055 the 12 gallon tank is behind the seat and I have to stand on something. Usually get some diesel on me.

Think I’m going to invest in a tank I can lift on and off. I do get tired of getting small fuel cans and lifting them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had to take a google at hfwd and MFWD, the 4430 must be hydraulic so no stub axles and drive shafts. Could be why that tractor isn’t selling.

MFWD is suppose to be able to kick off and on. My tractor does have a switch and a relay at the bottom that I’m sure controls that. The 2755 my uncle has doesn’t have the option to take the 4wd out when on the road. Someone said before probably because it was made in Mexico or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts