Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting for my tractor to arrive, I'm looking at accessories. I'm wondering if the deluxe hood guard is actually functional, or is it more of a cosmetic accessory with the potential to get in the way? I'll be setting mine up with the 320R loader in the summer and a front mounted 59" snow blower in the winter.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,154 Posts
The deluxe brush guard in my opinion is well worth the additional expense. That being said it may not be compatible with your 59 snowblower installation as some of the 3 Series machines encounter interference with the 3PH top link.

In my case I can use the front 3PH with my deluxe brush guard. Others I know can not.

Reactions: Toughsox and PJR832

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’ve done loader work, stacking big piles of dirt and rock, and had large rocks roll down toward the front of the tractor after dumping. The rocks strike the guard protecting the soft parts of the tractor. I try to avoid it but it has happened more than once. Maybe I’m a crap operator but it has saved my tractor from damage when working in rocky soil.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The main purpose of the hood / grill guard is to protect the front of the tractor when loading into / onto a truck.

The guard will strike the truck first, thereby saving your expensive grill / hood from damage. :banghead: It does very little to protect the hood from items falling out of the back of the bucket.

With that said, I would go with the deluxe guard. Reason being with the extra material, there is no way for anything substantial to make its way to the grill. Plus, It looks way better in my opinion.

Jeff

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
The deluxe brush guard in my opinion is well worth the additional expense. That being said it may not be compatible with your 59 snowblower installation as some of the 3 Series machines encounter interference with the 3PH top link.

In my case I can use the front 3PH with my deluxe brush guard. Others I know can not.
This is correct, I had to cut the lower cross-brace off of my standard grill guard because the top link was hitting it.

I mentioned this to a JD mechanic just last Saturday while the dealer, he said that is what JD recommends if there is interference :dunno:

I'd like to get the deluxe guard, or make one, but I have to get anther one (at least the top part anyway) first since I need my modified one for winter use.

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
IMHO, the standard loader hood guards don't offer much protection at all. Yes, if you are rolling up on a dump truck or dumpster it will make contact before the grill but for protecting against rocks and debris it pretty much does nothing.

The deluxe guard is a big improvement in that it has screening in between the bars to help keep out sticks and debris that can poke through and damage your grill. But even the deluxe guard has a big open space at the bottom where sticks from a brush pile can poke right through and puncture the grill.

So if you choose to get any, definitely get the deluxe version.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Guard thoughts must be in the air. I had posted this on GM yesterday
And guess this exists, but not sure of terminology: a grate to protect the 1025r radiator from being damaged while loading brush on forks. Saw something like this (John Deere Guard Kit BW15683), but it's more protecting the hood and not the lower part of the radiator.
Is there something?

·
Registered
193 Posts
The deluxe version shown in the pics is the exact one I have on my 3520, and is very useful when brushhogging or loading a dump truck. I do like the way it looks, and it is sturdy.

If you order a 320R loader, it should come with the loader package. I already had the deluxe version, so my loader cost was cheaper. I paid $5100.00 for the loader, 3rd valve plumbing kit, and a standard duty 61" bucket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts