Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reason I ask...well a few.
Should be a boatload of flooded machines floating around here shortly.
What if you want to finance a used tractor...how can you find the History.?
Cars /Trucks here in OR get the Title "branded" or marked "Salvage" if they are an insurance buy back..etc.

Found this gem today that is selling cheap-ish. Slid down a hill with mower on back and busted 2 of the 3 point mounts off.

Curious if it stuffed the PTO driveshaft. The mounts could be repaired vs new trans case etc.
I guess I was curious if it was insured or not and if it was totaled ...How is one to know?
Since Tractors have no Title( in OR) or even a certificate of origin( not sure) how would they mark a flooded /totaled machine?

2007 John Deere 3203 with loader - farm garden - by owner - sale

:munch::munch:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Short answer - no.

There are methods of verifying this info. Much like CarFax - there are reports available out there showing if a piece of machinery has been involved in a covered loss by insurance. Pretty easy to look at the amount of the claim paid and verify if it was a big claim.

Likewise, salvage sales record info - and can be reviewed. Something as simple as a google search of a serial may yield results from past listings on these sales.

But if someone trashed it - wasn't insured and cut their losses in a private sale to someone who is now not disclosing the issues - likely no way to tell. A good set of eyes though will tell you any issues. Most rebuilt salvage is not well done. It's pretty obvious to a typical person - a trained eye will spot it even quicker.

·
Administrator
17,263 Posts
Nope, no such service for tractors, so it's caveat emptor.

The 3202 was like a red-headed step child anyway, it was only produced for 3 years (2006-2008), only had a 2-range hydro as I recall, and only used the 300 loader not the 300CX

TractorData.com John Deere 3203 tractor information

·
Registered
494 Posts
theD - You have a thought provoking idea. Most of our great green machines are "titled" only with a bill of sale.

A great, long time hunting buddy/rancher who has been dead now for five years taught me a lot about life and other useful things. I was a lad of 12 years age when the Rapid City, South Dakota, flood of June 1972 occurred. This preceded the interwebs and Carfax by many decades. There were a lot of unscrupulous used car sales after the water receded. Glen taught me some of the warning signs- most notably "flood mud", the fine grained silt buildup on all horizontal surfaces after the flood water receded. On a tractor, I would also look for freshly rusted bare steel, non-functional electrical components, and general poor running performance of the engine/hydraulics.

These great green machines have evolved a long ways since the electro-mechanical wonders of yester-year. I would proceed with an abundance of caution if I was not aware of the provenance of a potential purchase.

Brian

Reason I ask...well a few.
Should be a boatload of flooded machines floating around here shortly.
What if you want to finance a used tractor...how can you find the History.?
Cars /Trucks here in OR get the Title "branded" or marked "Salvage" if they are an insurance buy back..etc.

Found this gem today that is selling cheap-ish. Slid down a hill with mower on back and busted 2 of the 3 point mounts off.

Curious if it stuffed the PTO driveshaft. The mounts could be repaired vs new trans case etc.
I guess I was curious if it was insured or not and if it was totaled ...How is one to know?
Since Tractors have no Title( in OR) or even a certificate of origin( not sure) how would they mark a flooded /totaled machine?

2007 John Deere 3203 with loader - farm garden - by owner - sale

:munch::munch:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts