Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a John Deere S240 Lawn Tractor.

Trying to find out if there is a Catalytic Converter in the muffler. I see the muffler, but cannot tell from the exterior.

Would like to use Leaded Gasoline (no ethanol, and doesn’t go stale) but don’t want to contaminate the catalyst and plug it up if there is a converter installed.

This is a California Compliant model. Does anyone know or how might I find out?

Thank You

·
Super Moderator
6,925 Posts
There are no catalytic converters on any Deere lawn and garden equipment. Not that that has anything to do with leaded/unleaded vs. ethanol-free....

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
982 Posts
Where are you getting leaded gasoline ? Effective January 1, 1996, leaded gasoline was banned by the Clean Air Act for use in new vehicles other than aircraft, racing cars, farm equipment, and marine engines.
I would think that ordinary pump gasoline would be less cost than any of the listed exceptions... unless you're not paying. But then you're breathing the lead in the exhaust.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ethanol free gasoline is not easily found locally. My concern is that fuel goes stale, contaminates carburetors and does not burn as well. There are additives like Sta-Bil but even these can prove ineffective.

I looked online and saw that the same Kawasaki Engine in my S240 might have a Catalytic Converter. I found this part pictured below.

The JD Dealer said that there was an additional $100 charge for required California emissions equipment. Might that include a Catalytic converter in the muffler?

AV Gas has no ethanol and does not go stale the way automotive pump gasoline does. Aircraft often sit unused for extended periods and the risk of operation failure dictated that the formulation needed an extended storage life. Technically to follow the letter of the law, AV Gas is only legally supposed to be used in aircraft.

That said, Year-old AV Gas still works just fine in infrequently used lawn equipment (like a chipper/shredder, lawn mower off season, generators, etc) That equipment using AV Gas starts every time and the carburetor stays clean.

Collector Car owners often use AV Gas for this reason as there is no gumming up of the fuel system and the fuel remains potent.

Lead will foul a Catalytic Converter and modern small gasoline engines are (sometimes) now equipped with Catalytic Converters. A generator I bought from Harbor Freight came with a Catalytic Converter.

·
Premium Member
17,079 Posts
You will probably find that the biggest difference for the "California" models is in the fuel tanks and fuel lines. Most California models have some type of carbon cannister not found on other models.

·
Super Moderator
6,925 Posts
I looked online and saw that the same Kawasaki Engine in my S240 might have a Catalytic Converter. I found this part pictured below.
And? I can go find lots of parts that fit my truck but aren't on my truck. Both of the mufflers you found are aftermarket items being advertised by the OEMs, not by Kawasaki or Deere. I'd think that if Kawasaki was building their engines with a catalytic muffler then there wouldn't be much of a market for aftermarket suppliers. Those two company's ads you found are trying to sell their mufflers to companies like Deere. The Deere manual for the machine makes no mention of any catalytic muffler. The Kawasaki manual for the engine makes no mention of one either.

The Deere part number for a replacement muffler is GY21962 which you can buy for $83.

That MUF7568 aftermarket replacement sells for AU$615. That's ~$475 in US$.

The JD Dealer said that there was an additional $100 charge for required California emissions equipment. Might that include a Catalytic converter in the muffler?
Note that there is a $100 markup on ALL CARB compliant Deere mowers. That applies to the S100 series, the S200 series, the Zero turns, etc... It isn't unique to the S240. None of the others have catalytic mufflers either.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies and info.

Once the salesman mentioned it I assumed that all CARB compliant models would have a similar additional charge.

Good to know that there is no catalytic converter. That was why I asked.

Thanks Again.

DC

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
When I was a kid, we burned 100LL in everything. Cant beat the shelf life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.