Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a John Deere S240 Lawn Tractor.

Trying to find out if there is a Catalytic Converter in the muffler. I see the muffler, but cannot tell from the exterior.

Would like to use Leaded Gasoline (no ethanol, and doesn’t go stale) but don’t want to contaminate the catalyst and plug it up if there is a converter installed.

This is a California Compliant model. Does anyone know or how might I find out?

Thank You

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ethanol free gasoline is not easily found locally. My concern is that fuel goes stale, contaminates carburetors and does not burn as well. There are additives like Sta-Bil but even these can prove ineffective.

I looked online and saw that the same Kawasaki Engine in my S240 might have a Catalytic Converter. I found this part pictured below.

The JD Dealer said that there was an additional $100 charge for required California emissions equipment. Might that include a Catalytic converter in the muffler?

AV Gas has no ethanol and does not go stale the way automotive pump gasoline does. Aircraft often sit unused for extended periods and the risk of operation failure dictated that the formulation needed an extended storage life. Technically to follow the letter of the law, AV Gas is only legally supposed to be used in aircraft.

That said, Year-old AV Gas still works just fine in infrequently used lawn equipment (like a chipper/shredder, lawn mower off season, generators, etc) That equipment using AV Gas starts every time and the carburetor stays clean.

Collector Car owners often use AV Gas for this reason as there is no gumming up of the fuel system and the fuel remains potent.

Lead will foul a Catalytic Converter and modern small gasoline engines are (sometimes) now equipped with Catalytic Converters. A generator I bought from Harbor Freight came with a Catalytic Converter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies and info.

Once the salesman mentioned it I assumed that all CARB compliant models would have a similar additional charge.

Good to know that there is no catalytic converter. That was why I asked.

Thanks Again.

DC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.