Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good hydraulic leak stop out there? I have some cylinder seal leaks, nothing terrible, but enough to try something before pulling all the cylinders and hoses and everything for rebuilds, which would cost more than I can afford.

I trust you guys more than Googling, as this forum is a great and trustworthy group!

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,130 Posts
You didn't say which machine you have but the general consensus is that it is not advisable to use stop-leak products in the hydraulic system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, sorry. Its a 1989 JD 2155 in really nice shape, just picked it up and then over few weeks saw wet spots in dirt, then started looking. Not real bad, just want to know if I can stop the leak easily.

Thanks

·
Administrator
17,946 Posts
The best leak-stop is new seals to properly fix the cylinders...they are not that expensive and you can do it yourself..

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
oil is cheap
Hydro transmissions aren't
I got leaks..I add oil.......Stop leak in any form other than new seals is not healthy.

I see yours is Gear drive...my bad..somehow I thought all 55 series were hydro.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Comparison : Oil vs pumps and valves... Replace the oil lost instead of magic leak stop. The valves and pump have metal to metal clearances that would be wrecked by any goop you could find..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with both directions here. It's best to just repack the cylinders but for small annoying leaks brake fluid works. In power steering systems with small leaks I've always added a cap full of brake fluid. Never did any damage and usually stops the leak. just don't add too much. The cap on the brake fluid bottle is usually enough for a power steering system which is around a couple of quarts.
James

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I agree with both directions here. It's best to just repack the cylinders but for small annoying leaks brake fluid works. In power steering systems with small leaks I've always added a cap full of brake fluid. Never did any damage and usually stops the leak. just don't add too much. The cap on the brake fluid bottle is usually enough for a power steering system which is around a couple of quarts.
James
I will just say, the reason brake fluid works is because hydraulic seals are not made to work with brake fluid so they swell. Just keep in mind, just because something works doesn't mean you should do it.

If you put brake fluid in a hydraulic system, you will most likely destroy all of the hydraulic hoses, all seals and pump and motor seals in time. So, I would never add brake fluid to anything except what is designed for brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
12,130 Posts
Are you 100% positive OP's 2155 doesn't have hyd hi-lo or IPTO? Both of those options have hyd clutches
Me? Heck no. 😀. I looked up the specs and saw the 2155 listed as a 8-speed gear drive with dry clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Are you 100% positive OP's 2155 doesn't have hyd hi-lo or IPTO? Both of those options have hyd clutches
It has gear drive, but yes, it still has lots of hydraulic accessories.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
2155 does have dry traction clutch but could also have 2 different hyd clutches plus wet brakes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will just say, the reason brake fluid works is because hydraulic seals are not made to work with brake fluid so they swell. Just keep in mind, just because something works doesn't mean you should do it.

If you put brake fluid in a hydraulic system, you will most likely destroy all of the hydraulic hoses, all seals and pump and motor seals in time. So, I would never add brake fluid to anything except what is designed for brake fluid.
Yes I know it doesn't belong in there but I've been using it since the early 90s, never had a problem. I heard this from old mechanics that had been doing it longer than that.
James

1 - 19 of 19 Posts