Green Tractor Talk banner

Is there a good hydraulic leak stop out there?

12K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  JamesRich 
#1 ·
Is there a good hydraulic leak stop out there? I have some cylinder seal leaks, nothing terrible, but enough to try something before pulling all the cylinders and hoses and everything for rebuilds, which would cost more than I can afford.

I trust you guys more than Googling, as this forum is a great and trustworthy group!

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
You didn't say which machine you have but the general consensus is that it is not advisable to use stop-leak products in the hydraulic system.

#4 ·
The best leak-stop is new seals to properly fix the cylinders...they are not that expensive and you can do it yourself..

#6 ·
oil is cheap
Hydro transmissions aren't
I got leaks..I add oil.......Stop leak in any form other than new seals is not healthy.

I see yours is Gear drive...my bad..somehow I thought all 55 series were hydro.

#13 ·
I agree with both directions here. It's best to just repack the cylinders but for small annoying leaks brake fluid works. In power steering systems with small leaks I've always added a cap full of brake fluid. Never did any damage and usually stops the leak. just don't add too much. The cap on the brake fluid bottle is usually enough for a power steering system which is around a couple of quarts.
James

#14 ·
I will just say, the reason brake fluid works is because hydraulic seals are not made to work with brake fluid so they swell. Just keep in mind, just because something works doesn't mean you should do it.

If you put brake fluid in a hydraulic system, you will most likely destroy all of the hydraulic hoses, all seals and pump and motor seals in time. So, I would never add brake fluid to anything except what is designed for brake fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.