Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
at first I thought of the pic when our buddy gizmo2 was a showing us back in the summer of him painting something with his loader and forks.:dunno:

but then I looked harder and seen some idiot standing in the wooden crate up their! jeepers I kinda think that fella has a death wish-huh. what was he doing anyway?--painting-ain't it too cold?:dunno::cookoo::lol:

Old Pa-pa

Registered
Wassa problem?

What's the issue? Nice construction, cross bracing, well thought out. Even a board under one wheel to lean into the building. What more could OSHA want?

Treefarmer

Premium Member
Our town used to have one guy on the utilities crew that would use an extension ladder in the tallest bucket truck they had to change the light bulbs at one of the park ball fields!

Old Pa-pa

Registered
Our town used to have one guy on the utilities crew that would use an extension ladder in the tallest bucket truck they had to change the light bulbs at one of the park ball fields!
Is that because the firemen wouldn't share their toys?:lol:

I found the problem in the picture, the paint is too thin. It's going to need a second coat.

Premium Member
Is that because the firemen wouldn't share their toys?:lol:

I found the problem in the picture, the paint is too thin. It's going to need a second coat.
We didn't have an aerial at that time! Did have a 95' wooden ladder w/tormentors that I only saw up one time in the 29 years I worked there, took six men (minimum) to set it up!

They did use the utility's bucket truck for am 1-1/2" line a time or two at fire scenes, very dangerous!!!

Premium Member
OSHA states: If there is no other safe way, proceed with caution. :laugh:

View attachment 126777

Man, those guys must have a lot more faith in hydraulic lines than I do. :laugh:

Go to YouTube and look up forklift crash. It's good for hours of amusement.

Premium Member
I worked on a project on Boone island in Maine as a private contractor with the coast guard and if you want to see stuff..... Four guys connecting a new low voltage power line to the lighthouse and three of them held an extension ladder in a vertical position not leaning on anything while the fourth guy climbed up to untangle the low voltage wire from the emergency shelters old lines! Now, there is no way I would even think of that procedure, way to many things can "let" go! The Navy was mentioned, guess anyone who travels the seas has this in their blood! Also there is no way I would ever get under a backhoe like the previous picture and as mentioned; I do not trust hydraulic lines either! OSHA has many pics and films of stuff you may find amusing! The forklift films make you close your eyes! Except for one guy who because of a forklift issue only has one to cover!!

Bonehead Club Lackey

Registered

Registered
good pics their-thanks and yeah bill burger is right about them kind walking among us, and then voting on top of it.

when I worked for the trucking co. I as a driver was required to work the dock, unloading and loading trucks with freight. we had to watch I thought hundreds of hrs of videos about tow motor safety. keep ur feet and hands inside the machine--stuff like that. well the week I was off work, when my wife had her accident. a man I knew was trying to see what our co. called a pro label, it tells u where the freight is going by the 3 letters and no.s on it. well he leaned up over the steering wheel to get a better look, and not knowing he was pressing against the hydraulic lever the mast came down over his head. killed him on the spot--bad. well Toyota(forklift model) got sued by his wife, so--they put drain material on the posts so u couldn't lean out thru the mast and posts. u would thought that would of solved the problem--right. heck-no. we had fellas who needed plastic surgery because they had their fork tips down to low and ran into the loading dock plate and shoved their face into the deck material, man they looked bad, when they first did it, off work for several months. bad way to get out of working I think.

Premium Member
We could do a whole thread on shop tales. I've gone out on more industrial accidents than I can count, some real and some not. We had one customer with a large rental fleet, every time any machine so much as bumped a trash can they'd call in "Unit in accident, needs to be inspected." I finally pulled their maintenance guy aside one day and told him to stop using the word accident. Every time he told the office there was an accident, two things happened. One, it created a boatload more paperwork I had to fill out and two, it cost the customer a lot of money. Accidents are considered abuse, and the customer gets a bill for the repair. On a rental machine, repairs are covered in the rental cost unless it's abuse. I told him that unless there was noticeable physical damage or injury, just call in and ask to have the machine inspected. Saves him money, saves us headache. It's all a liability thing. Every customer defines an accident differently, but when they have one they get the machine inspected by the dealer. It transfers liability. If they look at it and clear it to go back in service, if anyone else gets hurt they could be sued. If the machine is involved in an incident and they pull it out of service until the dealer can inspect it and give it the okay, the risk lies on us. Some clients would consider a forklift bumping a trash can an accident, others wouldn't even mention that a section of pallet rack collapsed, landed on something and caused major damage. They'd just say "Unit not useable, please send technician". I used to have a picture of a work order I got, it said something like "Pallet rack fell on machine and unit caught fire."

What made me think of this was Jim's story. I went out on an accident once, guy was cruising through the warehouse on a stand up forklift (reach truck) with a glass windshield. Somehow, a big steel roof support beam jumped out in front of him and he plowed straight into it. The impact threw him through the safety glass windshield, ended up going to the hospital. It also bent up most of the reach mechanism and fork carriage on the machine, I think the final repair estimate for parts and labor was a bit over $4,000.

Then there was the skidsteer that flipped over, the excavator that got dropped off a truck, numerous forklifts that went off a loading dock, two machines flipped over in a steel yard (inattentive overhead crane operator), front end ripped off a forklift and stuck in the side of the building...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts