Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an attachment that could be used to "trench" ground for metal edging?

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a solution that I could use with my 1025r to help with making it easier to install metal landscape edging?

We have very hard clay soil and it's quite cumbersome using a pick ax to create the small trench by hand.

Maybe something like a sub-soiler attachment?

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
That will do it

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a solution that I could use with my 1025r to help with making it easier to install metal landscape edging?

We have very hard clay soil and it's quite cumbersome using a pick ax to create the small trench by hand.

Maybe something like a sub-soiler attachment?
A sub-soiler would do it. With hard clay the issue might be getting it in the ground. A one shank chisel plow would also work but I've never seen one of those. One ripper tooth on a box blade would work as well. Anything not too wide that would penetrate to the right depth is better than using the pick.

Treefarmer

·
Administrator
18,463 Posts
This might be a better job for a "bed edger" that you can probably rent cheaply:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
This might be a better job for a "bed edger" that you can probably rent cheaply:

So this looks like the best solution but I would also consider the artillian hoe bucket. I have used it for planting and while it is somewhat crude for an edger, I am quite sure it will work but you might have to go behind it and do some clean up work. I have also used the cutting edge of my regular bucket too but there isn't a lot of fine touch when you use something that big, but I am of the crowd that uses a bigger hammer if the first one doesn't get it!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I needed to run some wire for an underground dog fence. I took one of the rippers off my box blade and drilled and bolted it to the side of the box. I was able to run up right along the edge of my planting beds, which I couldn't do if I had just lowered one of the rippers down all the way

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I needed to run some wire for an underground dog fence. I took one of the rippers off my box blade and drilled and bolted it to the side of the box. I was able to run up right along the edge of my planting beds, which I couldn't do if I gphad just lowered one of the rippers down all the way

That's what I love abbout this site - so many creative problem-solving people all in one spot! :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
If you have a backhoe, Bxpanded's ripper claw would work well for creating a narrow opening for edging. It's nice to not have the "trench" any wider than necessary. If you don't have a backhoe, now you have a reason to get one.

Link here.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Depending on how deep you have to make the trench, and edger may work well:

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/edgers/professional-edgers/

I believe you can change the head if you have a compatible trimmer, which would make it an affordable solution.

I have one dedicated to just edging. It works well, though the frequency at which I use it is every other or every two years. So I do have to remember to start it and run it once a year to keep the carb from gumming up. The pre-mix gas does help immensely, however.

Reactions: Oscar Leroy

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Depending on how deep you have to make the trench, and edger may work well:

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/edgers/professional-edgers/

I believe you can change the head if you have a compatible trimmer, which would make it an affordable solution.

I have one dedicated to just edging. It works well, though the frequency at which I use it is every other or every two years. So I do have to remember to start it and run it once a year to keep the carb from gumming up. The pre-mix gas does help immensely, however.
I also use one of these for all my beds. This does a great job and you can easily dress the edges up routinely without much work.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/kombisystem-attachments/fbdkm/

·
Registered
913 Posts
Have you considered just creating an air gap instead of installing metal? My lansscaping designer convinced me of this when I moved to my new place.

You Don't Need Plastic Edging

1 - 11 of 11 Posts