Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw on a TV ad while watching the Yankee game that the kabota is the best selling sub compact in the USA. Is that right?

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
You can make any statistic fit an agenda by massaging the criteria. Baseball is a prime example. "The batter hits 500...at this park..on a Friday afternoon... when it's sunny etc, etc,
Yep... gotta read the very fine print at the bottom of the screen. Car commercials are another example. Every model it seems is the "best in its class" with "class" being defined as 2-door, 4-liter, standard transmission, no A/C, BLUE sedans, sold on Wednesdays in July, in the S.E. corner of Macon Parish in LA. :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aside from the small print (that you can’t see) and how well the batting is, does kabota sell the most sub compacts in the USA?

It’s a simple question like Ford sells more Mustangs than Chevy does Camaro’s.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Aside from the small print (that you can’t see) and how well the batting is, does kabota sell the most sub compacts in the USA?

It’s a simple question like Ford sells more Mustangs than Chevy does Camaro’s.
Kubota sub compacts are the best selling sub compact tractors at Kubota dealers.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Kubota sub compacts are the best selling sub compact tractors at Kubota dealers.
Yep!!! In fact, Kubota dealers sell more Kubota than ANYTHING else!!

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I tried to actually find the sales numbers in the industry on the SCUTS by brand and I can say that while there are definitely total sales numbers for under 40 HP for all tractors, it's a pretty closely held secret what the actual sales numbers are by tractor brand and model.

I even went through the SEC Disclosure documents and tried to determine the sales by Model number for Deere by breaking down the financial results and while I was able to get close, no one is really posting that they sold xx,xxx numbers of 25 HP SCUTS.

Here is a link where you can purchase a report which provides all of the breakdown. But I am not that interested to spend $3,660 to find out.....

Industry Research Co – Worldwide Market Research Report, Analysis & Consulting

There is no question that the small tractor market is where the majority of the tractor sales are taking place. According to this summary, the under 40 hp category sells the largest share of all tractors in the U.S., but they also refer to this entire category as 2wd tractors, which further complicates just getting the details.

AEM: Compact Tractor Sales Down in September | Rural Lifestyle Dealer

I even asked the dealers if they had any industry wide production numbers and market share details and they claimed that they haven't. I would like to see the serial number sequences by model year and tractor model to see the total production numbers for Deere's tractors. There has to be a way to get this data, but I sure haven't found an easy answer........

·
Super Moderator
4,760 Posts
I just saw on a TV ad while watching the Yankee game that the kabota is the best selling sub compact in the USA. Is that right?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. Kubota's been the global market share leader in the under 80 HP tractor market for years so it wouldn't come a shock if that held true for the U.S. market too. That said, the subcompact and compact tractor market has been Kubota's specialty. For years they had nothing to offer that was larger than 80HP.

Kubota's problem has never been getting market share or selling tractors. Their problem has been making money doing it. Kubota averages a 5% margin on global revenue. Deere has been dropping slightly but they typically still hold at least a 16% margin on global revenue.

Kubota makes tractors. Deere makes money making tractors.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. Kubota's been the global market share leader in the under 80 HP tractor market for years so it wouldn't come a shock if that held true for the U.S. market too. That said, the subcompact and compact tractor market has been Kubota's specialty. For years they had nothing to offer that was larger than 80HP.

Kubota's problem has never been getting market share or selling tractors. Their problem has been making money doing it. Kubota averages a 5% margin on global revenue. Deere has been dropping slightly but they typically still hold at least a 16% margin on global revenue.

Kubota makes tractors. Deere makes money making tractors.
Some supporting information for your (accurate) profitability observation:

Bloomberg-Jan2019

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Also ask this question. Is it "sold" when the dealer pays them for it.. Or is sold when the actual consumer buys it?

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No offense, but who cares?:laugh: In my humble opinion, you have the best damn tractor in the world!!!

Agree it is the best.

It is a concern because like the auto industry when Americans do not buy American they soon demise. Case in point Ford will soon discontinue production of cars except the Mustang because of down sales. Take a good look at vehicles on the road most are foreign company's.

I would like to see JD continue in the small tractor market and not close the doors because of lost American public buying support.

Just having the better product does not insure success when the American public is so price driven and has no allegiance to domestic products. A lower profit margin is soon out weighed when sales numbers go way up. The stated 5% kabota margin can eclipse a JD 16% margin when the sales are 5 or 6 times as much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts