Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going to build a platform on a pallet, but saw this in one of Tim's videos - and thinking of doing the same with one of the IBC Tote cages I have for storing firewood.

But I was moving one of the Cages the other day, and because of a knee injury, I am kinda clumsy getting on and off the tractor. I had the cage high in the air and as I dismounted I barely touched the loader lever and the cage "dumped" really fast. If I would have been in it, and it was 6-7 feet in the air - I would have been dumped hard on the cement floor.

So - is this not a good idea??? Is there anyway to "lock" the loader arm up with the engine off??? I'm working by myself, so it is unlikely someone would come by and accidently hit that lever. But I would hate for there to be a touch of that lever by the wife delivering a soda, or asking her to get my glasses on the seat while I'm up in the air - or anything else unexpected.

Or is this just not a safe way to use the tractor? It sure would make the present project a thousand times easier.

Photos stolen from Tim's Video.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Or is this just not a safe way to use the tractor? It sure would make the present project a thousand times easier.
There is 0.000% chance that you can make a JD loader "safe",, ZERO!!

Do people do it? I do it all the time. I know it is wrong.

Material lifters are totally different than people lifters,,,
But, you play with these toys,,, (I DO enjoy playing,, :good2:) and you take the chances.

Forget the accidental touched valve handle,, what will happen when a hose bursts,,, :dunno:

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you are working alone, then use a ladder or scaffolding. You would still have to climb up into the cage once it is in position anyway and scaffolding won't leak down and change position over time.

The hydraulics on the tractor will leak down over time with the engine off and the forks will slowly dump. I use my forks with a sheet of plywood as a table at times and have to restart the tractor once or twice an hour to tip the forks back up.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
There is an SCV lock lever that can help keep the lever from moving accidentally, but I have not used it and can't speak for it's reliability. I fall back on my old horse riding days and always mount and dismount the tractor from the left side so as not to hit the lever.

I have to agree with the others though. I would be very hesitant to use the tractor forks as a man platform when I was working alone, which is most of the time. I'd think it would be just as easy to have a scaffold section preassembled, and with a little rigging, use the forks to move the scaffold.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I seen this done on a 2 series to trim some trees. Even with a actual man cage designed for a fork lift, 2 idiots and a safety harness it looked way to dangerous for me.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,214 Posts
There is an SCV lock lever that can help keep the lever from moving accidentally,

To answer your question, use this it does work as I use it when kids are around.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You should never ever trust hydraulics to work under or on, it's like looking down the barrel of a gun to see if it is loaded. With that said, I would never use the loader in this way by myself. I have a similar set up but have my wife take me around the yard to trim trees or get to places I cannot reach by myself. Just teach your wife how to use the controls properly, even then always be prepared for the worse when you are being moved in the platform. With your bum leg you may want to even consider a harness and attach yourself to the frame of the fork arms in case she you are dumped. Your tractor will always have leak down so never trust it by yourself and always be cognizant of your equipment.

·
Administrator
20,459 Posts
My personal rules

:danger:I can't say I've never done this, but I will add. If I must use the loader as a man lift, secure the basket device to the loader and the operator never leaves the seat if there is a person in the basket. No driving* when the basket is occupied nor is there any slope operation involved.

*Minor re-positioning is ok, just no driving across the back 40.

·
Administrator
17,482 Posts
Everybody has to deem what is and is not safe for their own circumstance, situations, needs, equipment, and comfort level. We all take some risk's in life-the good people accept responsibility for their actions and the consequences that may result from them-bad people sue companies and try to pass the blame onto others.

Just because we may not agree that something is or is not safe, we don't need to name call or point fingers, all that will do is discourage people from posting their own opinions or ideas.

I ride motorcycles, some will say that is a unsafe, unnecessary, and I'm crazy to do it-but it is a "risk" that I am willing to take. Please lets not make this thread an attack on anyone's decisions to use their equipment how or what they deem "safe".

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,602 Posts
The statement,
Or is this just not a safe way to use the tractor?
is what blew me out of the water as far as making a comment.
As most here know I've used a man lift/cage for many, many years but I would never condone it to someone I do not know.

Kennyd's post sums it up.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
This all depends on what tractor the OP has.
Good Point! I remembered the OP having a 1025R TLB.

KonaKid - We are talking about your 1025R, right? It'd be helpful if you put that info in your signature.:good2:

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Is there anyway to "lock" the loader arm up with the engine off???
In short, yes. You'd have to plumb some check valves into the loader circuits but then they may not be what you want for other tasks. Not sure if float would work with these installed though.

With the tractor off you will have droop of the boom and curl but you can also have some even with the tractor running, especially in the curl circuit because with forks, basket and you, there will be weight pushing down that is cantilevered forward.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Lots of valuable information here, but one question remains. How do you fellas get your wives to help clean the gutters? Mine refuses to do the slopping out, and neither of us trust her use of the loader with forks.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
One other comment on the picture you posted: that strap is a single point of failure for the cage. A whole lot of bad would happen if it were to fail while occupied and front heavy. I'd prefer to see two straps minimum.
In this case, the strap is only for stability. It is not load bearing unless something ELSE goes wrong.
So, I consider it a 'backup' strap anyway. I feel entirely comfortable with one strap.

Overall, just because I do it is no endorsement for others to follow. Make your own decisions.

·
Registered
21,931 Posts
As far as the hydraulic issue goes - I agree that you should never work under anything that is supported by the hydraulics alone - brace it!

But when it comes to man lifts - all the ones I ever worked with are hydraulic. Fork lift with a man basket to aerial lifts - they are all hydraulic.

IMG_0223.JPG

·
Administrator
17,482 Posts
As far as the hydraulic issue goes - I agree that you should never work under anything that is supported by the hydraulics alone - brace it!

But when it comes to man lifts - all the ones I ever worked with are hydraulic. Fork lift with a man basket to aerial lifts - they are all hydraulic.
True "Manlifts" (or "personnel lifts" for the politically correct :) use POCV's or Pilot Operated Check Valve's on each cylinder that prevents the cylinder from moving even if a hose blows, as well as a few other safeties that loaders don't have. The POCV's as prevent the "drifting" we see in loaders too so they remain at the set height.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts