Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
Obviously user discretion but it'd be a cold day in you know where before my wife would let me do that with our kids. Although our property is very hilly so I wouldn't do it in the first place.

If I lived on flat ground, maybe.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Man this is a tough one. If nothing goes wrong probably. Not enough weight to offset the balance. Maybe top heavy ?
Only on pavement in a parade.
Nah, not worth the chance. Although I am sure I did things dumber than that with the kids.
Would riding them around on this on my lap really be any safer ?

Wheel Vehicle Tire Tractor Green

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
One has to use the bump between the shoulders. Safe in all conditions, speeds, and terrain ... Nope.

I've pulled a hay wagon with 20 people on it, using my Deere 5200 tractor. Hit some bumps just for fun. We all had a grand time.

·
Registered
532 Posts
There are too many safety things that could go wrong and all of them would end up with badly injured kids and also could include injury to the driver. Tractor could tip over rearward causing everyone to be thrown out because of ballast issues. It could also tip over sideways with the same results. The center of gravity is too high, and to far back for safety. The injuries could also result in DEATH. :oops::rolleyes::unsure:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Another non-tractor forum I read occasionally had this picture posted and quite a lively discussion about it. I’m wondering if the responses on a tractor forum will be similar or different? What say you, GTT?
View attachment 854748
I wouldn't do it for several reasons. The biggest one I can think of is it puts a lot of weight up and back on the tractor and might make it both pretty light in the front and top heavy, so it would be more likely to roll over to the side or backwards. The ROPS may also break (and the kids would thus fall off) with that kind of weight hanging off of it, the much stouter ROPS on my 5075E says to not attach more than 100 pounds to it. I doubt that a subcompact's smaller ROPS would tolerate that any better. The kids would also be subject to getting whacked by any branches you may come near as they are the highest point on the tractor.

Pulling the kids in a wagon behind the tractor would be a much better idea, if possible and practical.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
My first thought was, "it doesn't seem safe" then I thought about me and my sisters riding in the back of dads pick up truck a lot, at 50-55, or me and my buddies seeing how strong the ice on the creek was... My family got a new couch recently and I hauled it home on my equipment trailer.(short distance, 30 mph) My daughter wanted to ride on the couch....ok I said. Kids gotta have fun, can't be ruled by fear. In those times however, extra thought and awareness needs to be used. My 2 cents

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Totally

·
Super Moderator
4,074 Posts
It's only safe until the tractor is started. Then all bets are off (in other words, no way! )

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
my 5075E says to not attach more than 100 pounds to it. I doubt that a subcompact's smaller ROPS would tolerate that any better.
I suspect the rops of any tractor should handle at least the weight of the tractor if not more. Kinda the whole reason for it.

Reactions: joshschade1990

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
2015 1025r
44 Posts
I'm a no. I get the desire/need but that's a good drop to the ground. Should have a lap bar like a carnival ride. Hope the fellow is not mowing in reverse with safety overide.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
The ROPS may also break (and the kids would thus fall off) with that kind of weight hanging off of it, the much stouter ROPS on my 5075E says to not attach more than 100 pounds to it. I doubt that a subcompact's smaller ROPS would tolerate that any better.
I suspect the rops of any tractor should handle at least the weight of the tractor if not more. Kinda the whole reason for it.
@Big is correct. It's not that the ROPS can't bear the weight. The weight limit exists because whatever weight gets added is several feet off the ground, which in turn raises the tractor's center of gravity. Same reason it's a bad idea to run around with your loader bucket several feet in the air.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
Would be better if a rotary cutter was attached to the pto

Live Action!

Plant Hat Leaf Gesture Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Is that safe? Well, everyone has their own risk tolerance. IMO if the tractor is being operated slowly over level ground I don't see much of a problem except that critters tend to dig holes so that's something to watch out for.

I'm in my 30's. It was more dangerous when we were kids riding in the back of a school bus/pickup bed/station wagon with no seatbelts doing 55 mph. Lol.

·
Administrator
22,426 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts