Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
All it takes is for them to have an accident then sue Deere because the ROPS can fold. The we get tractors with non-folding ROPS and dealers would refuse to work on any tractor with a modified ROPS.

·
Registered
2013 D130, 2022 1025R
134 Posts
If you look at it as a Risk V Consequence, then you would get a few answers.
The Risk would vary depending on how it is operated.
Flat ground, putting around the yard: LOW​
Working and using the bucket: MEDIUM​
Working on uneven ground: HIGH​

For all of them the consequence would be HIGH to CATASTROPHIC, as in the kids maimed or dead. I know I wouldn't want to wake up every morning and live with that.

No body likes safety legislation as it makes the job slower and is often inconvenient, but the legislation has been written in blood. People have to have been maimed and killed before any government finally pushes manufacturers to pick up their safety game and the manufacturers/companies won't do anything until it costs them too many $$ to go on not doing anything.

Most dangerous jobs in Australia:
RankIndustryFatality rate per 100,000
1Agriculture, forestry and fishing13.1
2Transport, postal and warehousing7.8
3Electricity, gas, water & waste services2.0
4Construction3.1

·
Registered
320 Posts
I love it. Looks fun. I can remember as a kid so many of those types of things that I did with my grandfather. In the end, you have to decide what is best, but I would do it with 2 assumptions...

1) I can strap them in
2) They have hearing protection

Have fun & enjoy life!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Looks better built than other contraptions I’ve seen before. That said, I could see this becoming a catapult in the right situation. Much like a boom style man lift. Harnesses required.

·
Registered
2020 1025R
1,012 Posts
I've towed the kids around on flat ground in a big gorilla cart, but I wouldn't risk what's being depicted in the picture. If my wife saw me doing something like that, meat grinder seems like a gentler ending for me than what would occur next.

Best,

Reactions: Steve-1026r

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Two things about kids. #1 They move around, and #2, they grow. Is this safe, Hell No. They may fit those seats today but maybe not next week. We all did things as kids that weren't safe and most of us weren't hurt or hurt too badly. But some were. Is it worth the risk? Put me in the 'I don't think so' column.

·
Registered
532 Posts
There’s nothing unsafe about the seat itself.
The tractor as pictured has no front ballast and the seat has no seat belt. It is highly likely if used as pictured, the tractor will tip to the rear because of the height and weight of the seat with the kids in it because of the ballast problem. When the seat hits the ground both kids and the driver are going to be ejected off and it is not going to be pretty.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Two unsafe things I see: why would anyone have a hatchet next to a fire extinguisher and the shirt over the seat could get caught on something.
Other than that I would have connected the hydraulic hitch to a hinged seat for "tilt" and attach a hose to mower chute to blow grass clippings on the kids.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
872 Posts
Ah No!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
What, you've never seen a fire axe before? Useful to smash a hole in a wall to get to burning materials or break through a locked door or window.
Sure...F.I.L. was a fireman...but that little hatchet wouldn't do much.
Seriously though, I'd ride kids around in a cart...much better.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Only if you have a 3-point mounted chipper/shredder attached as well.

Seriously my wife of 40 years spent all of her career as an RN at the Regional Trauma Center in the Northwest. She has dealt with more tractor related injuries than she cares to recall. If I ever set something like that up for my granddaughter she and my daughter, the Ski Patroller, would go a round of paper, scissors, and stone to determine which of them would have the privilege of smacking me up multiple times along the head and shoulders.

I showed my wife the picture and after she finished cursing in both Swedish and English I was told in no uncertain terms that if I ever did something that bone headed I would never enjoy another safe night's sleep.

Really. Really. Bad. Idea.

·
Registered
JD 3033R
5 Posts
Another non-tractor forum I read occasionally had this picture posted and quite a lively discussion about it. I’m wondering if the responses on a tractor forum will be similar or different? What say you, GTT?
View attachment 854748 in a
Most incredibily stupid thing I have ever seen!!!! The function of the ROPs is to ptotect driver in a roll-over situation. There is nothing protecting these two children or the driver for that matter in a rollover - nothing to protect the spinal column of the driver and kids would be crushed. Get rid of this contraption - now!!!!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
In my area it's not uncommon to see children riding farm equipment in unsafe positions. And I suspect that the operators are aware of the safety campaigns against things like this.

I'd presume that in the year 2022 most folks would consider it unsafe, where helmets and seat belts and safety devices have become the norm and are often mandatory.

The degree of "unsafety" compared to other activities is probably a better topic for discussion. Much of life involves risk. How much risk are you willing to trade off for safety or fun (actual or perceived)? As a kid I surely loved riding in a cart behind the neighbor's tractor or riding on the back of his motorcycle... or riding the other neighbor's Honda ct90 without "ATGATT".

Maybe a better question is, had it not be a multimilion dollar effort involving engineering and lawyers and alphabet soup regulatory agencies, could we come up with a simple and cheap attachment to allow children to ride somewhat safely on the back or side of a tractor?

On the other hand, let's face facts, soon enough those children will be teens and entering a world of risky behaviors.

Bottom line, it's unsafe. Second line, how unsafe is in the eyes of the beholder.

Reactions: Fuzzy

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
What a special grandfather to build that to entertain his grandchildren. Clearly not someone who’s going to go out with them and roll the tractor. I truly feel sorry for children who are protected to the point that they aren’t allowed to have fun.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts