Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
snowblower 2.jpg snowblower3.jpg

Ok tractor repair and machinists type wizards, puzzle for the day

Pic 1 is showing the area of the issue, Pic 2 shows scrape inside housing where seal goes, somehow I got this gouge in the inner part of the gear housing, think it is causing the seal to leak out gear oil.

Any ideas on how to fix other than getting new part? saw one on eBay for $825.00, was whole assembly, rather not go down that road.

Thanks for assistance and ideas in advance

Fred

·
Registered
19 Posts
Should be able to clean that up with a small sanding drum or abrasive bit for a drill or die grinder if you have one. Then U can use either JB weld, loctite grey (Thread repair) or metal repair epoxy. Comes in a tube and you knead it and turns hard. Fill it in with one of those and then grind that down flush & you should be good. Another option would be to clean it up and try a bit of gasket eliminator over the cleaned up nic'd area and put the new seal on and let it cure. There's probably other stuff out there too as long as the casting isnt cracked, its repairable.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
If you're referring to the gouge on the seal I.d. area just clean it up gently and apply gasket sealer before you install the replacement seal. Refill with gear lube and keep an eye on it. If it continues to leak drain the gearbox and fill it with gearbox grease. It'll never leak again.

Reactions: fdmars

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up on repair

Thanks for ideas, I ended up smoothing gouge with a dremel and Emory paper, put in a new seal with a light coating of sealer, silicone type. Tractor Dan helped me with his torch to rebend the steel impeller that found a rock ( on that one I broke all 3 shear pins, a record for me). And reassembled, all holding so far....but I have not run it yet as no snow....but before the oil would seep out, not now:good2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts