Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I had the 70 diesel running saturday night with the pony. But now it wont start. It turns over but will not start! when it dries off a little i will try to pull start it. any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Administrator
20,168 Posts
Are you using the decompression and the fueling (throttle) levers correctly?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes to my knowledge. When the pony is winding out I pull the lever halfway for decompression and then pull it the rest of the way to engage the pony. It turns over fine just no start.

·
Administrator
20,168 Posts
Once you've got the big motor spinning, can you hear the compression? In other words, the pony should get the big motor spinning, but then the compression should kick in by manipulating the lever. No compression means its not going to run. If you have compression, make sure to advance the the throttle off the bottom to maybe 1/3-1/2. Once it kicks, make sure to retard the throttle to idle right away, but not to the off position. If you have fuel but no compression you may get a wisp of white smoke out the stack. No smoke means no fuel, or the compression is so low that you aren't getting enough heat to start to light off the fuel.

There are several 70D starting videos on YouTube. Are you following the same procedures?

Pony motor tractors are a ton of fun in my opinion, but they all have their own set procedures and quirks.

·
Super Moderator
7,802 Posts
You had it running once. It will run again. Check all of the basics with both motors.

Jason's explanation was right on the money.

A short tutorial here:

Have fun!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys! :good2: I believe I had not been giving it compression and just left in pulled all the way back.:hide: As you can tell I am totally new to the pony motor and how to run them!

·
Registered
52 Posts
J.E.H.

Leaving the cranking engine (pony) engaged after the diesel fires could be a very expensive mistake. The last time I saw that done (by an old guy like me) I thought he must have just forgot the starting procedure. Sure there is an over running clutch but do you really want to test that?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks Dan, I need to learn a few things.....:hide:

·
Registered
52 Posts
E.J.H.

I acquired my first 70D, of which I have three, almost 20 years ago and I am still learning new things about them. They definitely have their own personalities. At least your pony will start the diesel, you know that and that is farther than some guys get. They were strong tractors in their day and for that reason most were wore out. You will notice that most guys (collectors) either hate them or are scared of them. Few seem to enjoy them as I do. But it will grow on you for various reasons wether you use it or show it.

jr6dPzVBRM2%MLW1yOeWWg.jpg

HpgeqhPjRFGQ2%6M4V90mw.jpg

IMG_1219.JPG

Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes but some times it seems my clutch is slipping and not turning the engine fast enough. other times it takes right off. this thing sure is a brute of a tractor compared to a puny 40!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts