Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife's hobby has been field trialing (competition hunting, with Dogs from horseback - kind of fox hunts, ******* style).

Anyway... our "life" goal was to downsize the house, upsize the property, and bring our horses (2) home with us to live. We already have 7 Brittanys (dogs) and needed fencing and the like.

Life is funny we weren't LOOKING for a house per se' but timing was good, and we managed to find a retirement house/property, that was: close to work, smaller than our existing house, cheaper than our existing house, on 32 acres of land (so 10 times the acreage), with lower taxes (clean and green, so it has to be forest reserve, or agricultural reserve, or ag use). The 32 acres are basically 100% woods. There are nice paths around it, and we managed to cut down small trees and clear about 1 acre for paddock for our horses (electrobraid fencing)... So we've accomplished a lot. We also fenced in our back yard and actually created 2 yards for dogs... so we can separted dogs in season...

Some pictures... the paddock
Tree Property Natural landscape Land lot Atmospheric phenomenon

and here's the dog yard
Grass Property Natural environment Land lot Fence

A keen eye will see a large pole barn (which was a huge property bonus for us)....

So anyway, we knew we'd want a tractor eventually. We hemmed and hawed around, but finally I just said, you know they have a 0% apr for green tractors going on for 60 months.. looks like a good deal... what say we get a 2 series so we can clear some land (get a loader, and a hoe)...

Wife agreed it was a good deal and if we qualified she was all on board. We contacted our local Deere dealer (which came highly recommended by 2 of our employees, one a farmer with chickens, cows, and 100+ acres he maintains) and they cut us a sweet deal on a 2025r over the web... but after a conversation with them and telling them that we wanted to remove some trees and such mostly... we both determined that I'd want something a little larger (but that I also didn't want to spend any more money)... As luck would have it they had a leftover 2012 on the lot, a very basic 3005... He managed to throw a 7 hoe in, and it already had the loader for nearly exactly the same price as the 2025r new.

We haven't taken delivery yet... but the wife has already driven the tractor (as have I), and we're all approved like we just need to wait for them to install the power beyond kit and get the hoe installed with it... to deliver sometime next week. Overall I found the sales folks really easy to work with.

Wife is already bucking for me to flatten out some trails for riding horses and running/roading dogs

I have a feeling we're going to keep this nice green tractor busy for MANY MANY years:

·
Administrator
22,228 Posts
Congrats on the new tractor! Beautiful property you have there too! :drinks:

:wgtt:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
44,799 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks...
I am hoping the 3005 is all we'll need for quite some time... I am sure it'll make a huge dent.

Just got word.. They are delivering Friday... without the backhoe (salesman knows I have a bunch of soil to move)... They are getting the hoe delivered but in the meantime I'll have a tractor to use... when it comes in, they'll come out, pick up the tractor, install the hoe and power beyond kit.. and redeliver for me.

That's pretty good service..

Now for the horses to get used to seeing the tractor trucking around the property (they already have to deal with me buzzing around with the ATV, and 7 dogs barking at them through the fence, so I am quite sure that's a non-issue)... They'll be happy when we open up their paddock to a couple more acres of ground.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Sweet tractor!

:wgtt:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
44,799 Posts
SHNOOL, You are going to like the #7 Backhoe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Without corrupting my own intro...

We've had a bunch of nay-sayers saying that we'll have a ton of problems removing trees with this tractor (indicating I should have bought a $100k excavator or something, or a bulldozer)... Listen I have uses for this tractor WAY beyond dropping trees so if it can't do this fine, but I have to at least try...

Now we're not expecting to remove redwood trees here. I was told by the sales guy that the 2025 would probably be ok digging out up to about a 12 inch diameter tree... with some effort. He and I agreed that I should try to get as much tractor as I can afford, and take down as large as I can, and we'll call it good. So I did, and he got me into the 3 series for the same price.

Now some history. In my prior home a neighbor took down 5 40+ foot high trees (some even close to the house, for $300 - good deal for me and helped make his tractor payment that month) with his little kubota (sub)-compact with a hoe. he did this by digging out the roots all around the tree with the hoe, then using the hoe to push the tree over. I think he had a big BX or a small B I cannot remember now (I think he said it was a 25hp). But it took him about 6 hours to dig out these trees, drop them, and push them aside (mostly pushing them aside after I cut them in 8ft lengths). Most of the trees were right around the 1 foot diameter or slightly bigger.

Anyway I didn't like HOW he brought down the trees (safety wise).. I'd rather cut them down to 4-6 foot high stumps then dig out the stumps, but STILL... Shouldn't I be able to remove a LOT of trees up to a decent size? Obviously I am going to cut them down then remove the stumps. But I should be able to do a decent sized tree with that right?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts

·
Registered
4,936 Posts

Welcome from New York.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Welcome! you are going to enjoy this stage of life.
I don't have a hoe so I can't tell you how big of a tree/stump you can remove. I think it would only take longer, the bigger they get. But that's the fun of tractor operation, time spent using it.
If you are in a hurry, contract it done, or rent something bigger.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just arrived at the house

Already slid a much of dirt around, and moved a pile of brush out of my way... No time to really play with it... It'll be another week before the 7 hoe comes in.
Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Grass

and also this
Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Grass

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Shouldn't I be able to remove a LOT of trees up to a decent size? Obviously I am going to cut them down then remove the stumps. But I should be able to do a decent sized tree with that right?
You can move the Empire State building with a garden trowel, or bail out the Great Lakes with a 5 gallon bucket. It just might take a while. :laugh:

All joking aside, you can certainly dig stumps with your tractor. It won't be as fast as a dedicated excavator, but the tractor can do a whole lot more for you than dig stumps. Depending on the size of the stump, root ball, and how much dirt you knock off of it you may not be able to lift the entire thing out of the hole with your backhoe due to the weight, but you can always take the chainsaw and keep cutting it into smaller pieces once you get it dug free.

It would be different if you were going into the land clearing business and had to move through jobs in an awful hurry. You're miles ahead of a lot of us though, just by having the backhoe. :good2:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Slightly different topic, but still along the lines of a newbie and intro...

Thank you all for the kind words on the property we really love it! We'll be making it our own over the next several years, and hopefully making it more comfortable for our horses/dogs.

So I stopped in at the dealer on the recommendation on the delivery guy, to buy some "extra" hydraulic fluid (haven't needed it yet, but he DID say fluid levels drop some after the break in period). I made sure to get the Green stuff, so we don't have any issues with warranty (someone said it was pricey, was cheaper than the stuff MINI cooper made me buy years ago)...

Anyway, talked to the salesman, he tells me he was actually JUST going to call me (and he did - I saw the call on my phone log when I got back to work)... the BACKHOE (7) came in and he wanted to schedule pickup of the tractor to install it. So we set up pickup of the tractor and he said we'd likely have it back by this weekend (good turn around). I thanked him again, told him the delivery guy was SUPER nice.

So the reason for this follow up post (besides saying I'm looking forward to my backhoe), is that I got home and got a "thank you" card from the "salesperson," in the mail. Turns out the guy who sold me the tractor was the President of that store! I never once was given a regular business card, and they certainly have other sales staff, but it struck me as REALLY odd how quickly he decided on how it would get delivered (himself, like it was ALL up to him), and when, and also to negotiate the price for the tractor and hoe (he never consulted anyone else)... I was and still am impressed with how laid back the sale was and also how quickly the dealer reacts, well now it makes sense.

I won't post the exact dealership for fear of sounding like a commercial (but you can figure it out given I live in East Stroudsburg PA, and bought the tractor in NJ). I also found out AFTER the sale that he's good friends with a fellow co-worker in the office with me (like for the last 15 years). I am just very impressed at the low-pressure sale and extremely responsive dealership. All very good signs that if I should ever need any service/accessories/repair, they'll be able to help and respond quickly.

·
Administrator
22,228 Posts
You just described my first buying experience at my dealer. It was really cool to be dealing with the owner, but not knowing it until afterwards. The customer service has been excellent.:thumbup1gif:

Thanks for sharing your experience.:drinks:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got my tractor back... I think a Hoe is sexy....

They got the backhoe last week, and installed but they had some problems with their rollback, so it was a couple more (2) days to get back... they were cool about it though. Very impressed with the digging of the 7 BH. Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Automotive tire Tire

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
714 Posts
I took out around 100 trees to clear my lot for a house. The time it took to remove just 1 stump with a backhoe convinced me to hire out the root removal. Now if I only had a couple to remove, it would be different.

The track hoe was able to remove a stump in less than a minute. For me time was money. Good luck with what looks to be an awesome piece of terra firma.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Todd, I totally understand what you are saying and agree... If I were in a hurry.

Here's the part that bugged me about quotes to clear the land. I had a half dozen people quote me removal of trees on our property. I tried it all with them... giving away the trees for lumber (we have a decent number of oak, and maple back there)... Hiring a guy JUST to remove stumps (I'd cut down the trees)... and several guys who would do it all, from removal to grading to adding soil, and such...

My quotes were ALL OVER the place with most of them just quoting by the day pricing (which is fine, but none could even estimate how long it'd take!). My cheapest estimate to clear an additional 4 acres was close to $40k! I am sorry I don't have that, nor if I did would I spend it for someone to do damage to my property (I save that fun stuff for myself)... The objective here is to make more room for my horses! I could buy a LOT of hay for that, and forgo the nice green grass for them!

So instead we opted to buy the tractor that we'd ultimately want to use on our property for the few things we'd love to do around the property... and we'll see if I can put any kind of dent in the clearing with it as a bonus.

I had a neighbor in my last house remove 5 trees in 4 hours with his Kubota B2650. I saw how he used his backhoe to do the job, and honestly I don't see how this tractor is much different. NO it's not going to remove 2 foot diameter trees (and I'll not want to, they'll stay! I actually like old growth trees, call me crazy). I'll need to bring in a decent amount of soil, as a lot of rock on the property makes this an additional challenge (and the horses can live with the rocks in the meantime, it's not like we aren't feeding them decent hay).

But if it'll allow me to gravel mud spots, and grade my driveway, and level my paddock with soil, and dig some rather cumbersome rocks, I'll be quite happy. If I can move large amounts of wood for my wood stove, and flatten a turn around for my LQ horse trailer, and perhaps level my dog yard, dig out a small pond I have, build a bridge over a creek I have...

Did I mention I want to install an automatic waterer for the horses, and run electrical to my run-in shed? Water to my pole barn, so I can create an RV hookup for the LQ horse trailer? It'd be REAL nice to have a frost free tap down there so that I can fill the water tanks, and my septic tank is RIGHT there, so I'd love to create a dumping station as well!

I have about a billion uses for this tractor other than clearing 4 more acres. The clearing is going to take a chainsaw, (with lots and lots of sharpening, and blades), a backhoe for removing lots of rocks and smaller stumps. FEL for back coating with soil and grading.

I HOPE it'll work for most of these jobs... So far it seems up to the challenge!
Land vehicle Vehicle Logging Tractor Tree

Did I mention that I created a paddock for my horses with nothing more than a chainsaw, a couple insulators, and a lot of back-breaking work? Including manually bedding the run-in shed?

In the same way the load handler on my pickup truck isn't large enough to transport 20,000 lbs of soil (but it could with several trips!), my tractor won't be removing a forrest. But if I nip at it a little at a time... (much like you eat an elephant) you'll be surprised what I can accomplish.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
714 Posts
No doubt that you will get alot of work out of that hoe. Sounds like you have alot of chores for it already. I cut down all the trees myself, moved them to my field and had a sawmill come in and cut them up for me to use for fences/ gates/ whatever. The stump removal was a bear even with the excavator. Thankfully that is all behind me now and will be using tractor for other much less dangerous chores.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.