Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Here in Northwest Arkansas, we get snow almost every winter, but usually fairly light (2-4 inches) and only a few times per year - and we've had no snow of consequence this winter. :hide: Just moved back to the midwest with my darling, who is from southern California. Talked to her about a snow blade when we bought the tractor - but the weatherman wasn't helping - and it seemed an unnecessary expense for now. My question is, am I ok to take care of the snow I have with a FEL and a box blade scraper on my rather steep and winding gravel drive? :think:

Are there any modifications I should look into for the FEL to make it an effective snow pusher? I wouldn't want to do anything permanent, as I'm doing tilling, earth moving, and ground clearing with the loader during most of the year.

Thanks in advance to all the experienced snow-pushers out there for your help.... and my sympathies to those of you in New England! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
For occassional light snow you're probably fine with the FEL + box blade. Some guys will slit a length of PVC pipe and slip it over the cutting edge on the bucket so that you don't end up picking up all the gravel out of the driveway. There are also rubber cutting edges you can install on the bucket. They'd probably help in your case too but I'd guess those do better on paved driveways.

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I would think you will be good for the rest of this season. If you want new blower or blade than you should able to get one anytime with little to no wait. If you want to get a used blade or blower I would start looking in the spring. There are always people that bought and then did not use and they have the knee jerk reaction of selling once winter is over. You might find a good deal that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think you will be good for the rest of this season. If you want new blower or blade than you should able to get one anytime with little to no wait. If you want to get a used blade or blower I would start looking in the spring. There are always people that bought and then did not use and they have the knee jerk reaction of selling once winter is over. You might find a good deal that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks felixm22! I'll start looking at Craig's list come mid-March when the weather warms up! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I think it sounds reasonable to just use the FEL for the occasional snow.

So if you're going that route, I would skip the trouble of the PVC pipe and get these:

Edge Tamer | R2 Manufacturing
I would suggest those skids as well.
Especially if you are unfamiliar with loader snow removal and have a gravel drive.
I don't have them, and have only recently thanks to members here, found out about them.
But i think i will be picking up a couple.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
With that amount of snow - I would think the loader should be sufficient. Watch that cutting edge getting worn on the bucket though. I leave my Piranha toothbar on 100% of the time and just scoop with the bucket flat when I need to. The toothbar is beefy and seems to hold up quite well.

If you want to make the job a little easier - I would think an angling back blade would do the job nice and quick and would still be useful the rest of the year for various jobs.

No way you need any kind of blower with the light snows you have.....

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
5' rear blade would be something to consider too.. Ive moved a ton of snow over the years with my 2520 loader/rear blade set up.. :thumbup1gif:
I use the same set up.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I use the same set up.

Next time you use it for snow, or even if you use it to pull rocks outta the yard in the spring, pull the tilt pin out and use the blade.. Either strait or angled, it will float from side to side.. If you go over a high spot with the tires, the blade will stay level with the ground.. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to Amazon to see if they had the Edge Tamer (free shipping and all that :tongue: ). To my surprise, they DID have Edge Tamer...

Edge Tamer.jpg
Product description says "it tames wavy hair and makes the edge of your hairdo look smooth and professional!" --- Lots cheaper, and you don't need a ratchet or crescent wrench to apply it! I'ma order THAT one! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Went to Amazon to see if they had the Edge Tamer (free shipping and all that :tongue: ). To my surprise, they DID have Edge Tamer...

View attachment 40027
Product description says "it tames wavy hair and makes the edge of your hairdo look smooth and professional!" --- Lots cheaper, and you don't need a ratchet or crescent wrench to apply it! I'ma order THAT one! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Huh. So you just rub that all over your loader bucket? Sweet! :laugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts