Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a dead tree from the property next door finally toppled over and landed on my next door neighbor's fence, narrowly missing my rotary cutter. I (twice) warned the folks at the property, a private social club, about the tree, but it had a rather low priority since it's a volunteer organization. I normally don't keep the brush cutter there. I took it off to do some other work and so, yeah, that's where I thoughtless left it for a couple of days. Naturally, that's when the damn tree decided to keel over and die for ever. I checked with my insurer, and (what a surprise) my insurance deductible far exceeded the cost of having a professional remove the downed tree. Of course, I'm always looking for new ways to have fun...I mean work... with my 2012 1026R. So, with some help from my Stihl MS-180, I had the sizable trunk trimmed enough for easy removal and to use as a marker on the vehicle path on my 2 acre back lot. It didn't hurt that I had my clamp-on shovel on the bucket to dig some hostas from the front flower bed that were growing crazy! Just a couple of more examples why buying this tractor and a couple implements was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

P.S. I'll do my best to post a video next time. I guess because I produced 400 hours of educational TV programming a year for 15 years before retiring, breaking out the gear is not always my first move. Yeah, I do have a phone, so there's that....

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have several locust and magnolia trees, and an old orchard that produce a fair amount of unwanted vegetation each year. Before I got the 1025r, I would dread the task of trimming, thinning and removing excess and low hanging branches, and then dragging everything off to the burn pile. Now, I can't wait to find a few limbs, branches, or vines (my locust trees tend to revert to vine) that are within reach of the chain saw. I even bought a battery powered pruning saw to extend my reach. Out comes the saw and pallet forks, and the offending vegetation is soon cut, piled up, and waiting for it's end-of-season fate in the burn pile. Not to mention the joy of picking up the burn pile in one step, so that I can add some starter cardboard underneath...

The only part of this clean up task that I don't enjoy is putting the tractor away because it's done!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have several locust and magnolia trees, and an old orchard that produce a fair amount of unwanted vegetation each year. Before I got the 1025r, I would dread the task of trimming, thinning and removing excess and low hanging branches, and then dragging everything off to the burn pile. Now, I can't wait to find a few limbs, branches, or vines (my locust trees tend to revert to vine) that are within reach of the chain saw. I even bought a battery powered pruning saw to extend my reach. Out comes the saw and pallet forks, and the offending vegetation is soon cut, piled up, and waiting for it's end-of-season fate in the burn pile. Not to mention the joy of picking up the burn pile in one step, so that I can add some starter cardboard underneath...

The only part of this clean up task that I don't enjoy is putting the tractor away because it's done!
I just recently started doing this too! Had a brush pile that was being a pain in the rear to get lit. Id tried 2 times prior, and no luck.
I finally got the bright idea to lift part of it with the forks and stuff cardboard/dry wood under it. Burned pretty good. Now thats my go too trick to get any of them lit!

To the OP, wouldnt their insurance be responsible for that?
I cant say with any certainty, but I was under the impression that if a tree from one property falls on another and does damage, the original property owner is responsible.
Maybe not since its a tree and could be considered a natural act or act of God.
Youd think with all the trees I have, Id know, but nope.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I finally got the bright idea to lift part of it with the forks and stuff cardboard/dry wood under it. Burned pretty good. Now thats my go too trick to get any of them lit!

The best way I've found to fan the flames on any brush pile is to use a leaf blower. It really speeds up the burn!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The best way I've found to fan the flames on any brush pile is to use a leaf blower. It really speeds up the burn!
Not only that but it burns much hotter, which means less smoke.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Well, it looks like you got lucky with the fence anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
So a dead tree from the property next door finally toppled over and landed on my next door neighbor's fence, narrowly missing my rotary cutter. I (twice) warned the folks at the property, a private social club, about the tree, but it had a rather low priority since it's a volunteer organization. I normally don't keep the brush cutter there. I took it off to do some other work and so, yeah, that's where I thoughtless left it for a couple of days. Naturally, that's when the damn tree decided to keel over and die for ever. I checked with my insurer, and (what a surprise) my insurance deductible far exceeded the cost of having a professional remove the downed tree. Of course, I'm always looking for new ways to have fun...I mean work... with my 2012 1026R. So, with some help from my Stihl MS-180, I had the sizable trunk trimmed enough for easy removal and to use as a marker on the vehicle path on my 2 acre back lot. It didn't hurt that I had my clamp-on shovel on the bucket to dig some hostas from the front flower bed that were growing crazy! Just a couple of more examples why buying this tractor and a couple implements was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

P.S. I'll do my best to post a video next time. I guess because I produced 400 hours of educational TV programming a year for 15 years before retiring, breaking out the gear is not always my first move. Yeah, I do have a phone, so there's that....
Is that normal for that bark on the big tree in your yard to crack that way on the trunk and separate from the tree in big sections?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that normal for that bark on the big tree in your yard to crack that way on the trunk and separate from the tree in big sections?
You have a sharp eye. That "old oak tree" is on its way out. We topped it last year and will probably have to bring it down some day, although there was nice growth on it this summer. I'm one of those "woodsman spare that tree" guys.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
You have a sharp eye. That "old oak tree" is on its way out. We topped it last year and will probably have to bring it down some day, although there was nice growth on it this summer. I'm one of those "woodsman spare that tree" guys.
Heating with a woodstove goes a long way towards curing that!:laugh: But, I have a 200+ year old 5' diameter red oak which is and has been hollow the 22 years I've owned the place. PO lightened up the top canopy and I had a lower broken off (3'dia.) leader cleaned up. I could not take it down, it raises too many fun families of squirrels and the shade keeps the Norway maples under it somewhat in check. OLD trees are sacred.:hi:

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
375 Posts
To the OP, wouldnt their insurance be responsible for that?
I cant say with any certainty, but I was under the impression that if a tree from one property falls on another and does damage, the original property owner is responsible.
Maybe not since its a tree and could be considered a natural act or act of God.
Youd think with all the trees I have, Id know, but nope.
If a healthy tree in your yard falls during a wind storm (an unpreventable act of god) and does damage to a neighbors property, it is the neighbor’s insurance that covers any damage they incur. It may have been your tree that did the damage, but it’s the insurance of the property that was damaged that actually covers the damage.

However, if a dead/damaged/diseased tree falls after the owner of said tree became aware of its condition (by the neighbor, in writing) and the owner of the tree failed to take corrective action, the owner is negligent and directly responsible for the damage (insurance does not cover negligence).

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
If a healthy tree in your yard falls during a wind storm (an unpreventable act of god) and does damage to a neighbors property, it is the neighbor’s insurance that covers any damage they incur. It may have been your tree that did the damage, but it’s the insurance of the property that was damaged that actually covers the damage.

However, if a dead/damaged/diseased tree falls after the owner of said tree became aware of its condition (by the neighbor, in writing) and the owner of the tree failed to take corrective action, the owner is negligent and directly responsible for the damage (insurance does not cover negligence).
That is my understanding, as well. I have a seasonal neighbor that lets most everything go. He has a number of dead or dying trees. A dead birch snapped off, and fell on my roof, punching a few holes through the sheeting and ripping off the rain gutters. His insurance paid for it without issue. None the less, it was still a hassle and time consuming dealing with it.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
4,377 Posts

This is exactly correct!

But, often the insurance of the "negligent person" will cover it anyway.

I just spent a few hundred dollars removing dead ash trees along the property line. I wanted anything that could fall on the neighbor's house/garage removed just to avoid any issues.

Back to topic.... those little tractors are pretty amazing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts