Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Was Mobile always a part of Sinclair...or vise-versa? I remember the Sinclair building in Dallas from when I was in about the 3rd grade. At that time, it was the largest building and had a giant Sinclair neon sign symbol on top. It wasnt long before that building was dwarfed. Off to google...
Btw: cool jacket!:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
17,945 Posts
Nice find!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Nice psrumors. My father owned a Mobil station back in the early 60's and it brings back memories for me.

Oh what the heck, I'll add a picture.....or three.

mobil.jpg kayals.jpg

truck.jpg

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Cool find on the jacket!!

And those photos are neat! Back to a time when they were Service Stations, not just gas and convenience stores.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Cool find on the jacket!!

And those photos are neat! Back to a time when they were Service Stations, not just gas and convenience stores.
So now you're going to make me sad thinking about those days?
Back in the day...............................
Kidding aside, thanks farmgirl and psrumors. Never hurts to remember.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Paul,
Nice find. It's always neat to find articles or "stuff" from years gone by.

Giz,
Nice photos, and I agree with FG, those were the days when they were "service stations".

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
Was Mobile always a part of Sinclair...or vise-versa? I remember the Sinclair building in Dallas from when I was in about the 3rd grade. At that time, it was the largest building and had a giant Sinclair neon sign symbol on top. It wasnt long before that building was dwarfed. Off to google...
Btw: cool jacket!:thumbup1gif:
Was the Sinclair dinosaur mascot real at that time?:laugh:

Nice psrumors. My father owned a Mobil station back in the early 60's and it brings back memories for me.

Oh what the heck, I'll add a picture.....or three.

View attachment 28382 View attachment 28381

View attachment 28383

Did you post a picture of the truck with the shark tooth grille before? It looks familiar. Good pictures of the service station. Many boys and young men got a lot of education at old gas stations.

I even learned how to spit shine combat boots at a gas station.:laugh:

·
8,558 Posts
Yep, Sinclair was Dino the Dinosaur, and Mobil is Pegasus. It was (is?) Pegasus atop the Dallas building.

Another neat Dallas landmark, from days gone by, was the Pearl Beer "billboard". It had a built in waterfall, and it was flowing most, if not all, of the time. Not sure Pearl Beer even exists anymore, but I sure drank a lot of it. I'd like to think the "billboard" is still there, but am not driving to Dallas to find out. The traffic and people in that big city are just rude, uppity, city folks

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
Yep, Sinclair was Dino the Dinosaur, and Mobil is Pegasus. It was (is?) Pegasus atop the Dallas building.

Another neat Dallas landmark, from days gone by, was the Pearl Beer "billboard". It had a built in waterfall, and it was flowing most, if not all, of the time. Not sure Pearl Beer even exists anymore, but I sure drank a lot of it. I'd like to think the "billboard" is still there, but am not driving to Dallas to find out. The traffic and people in that big city are just rude, uppity, city folks
You really need to write more clearly, so we all know exactly how you feel.:laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Did you post a picture of the truck with the shark tooth grille before? It looks familiar. Good pictures of the service station. Many boys and young men got a lot of education at old gas stations.
I did, someplace. It was my fathers welding truck, he always parked it across the street from the Mobil station. This and his snow plow were the reason I had my wife do the cobra on my snow plow blade.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

Well....drat. I've slept a time or two since them days. But I do believe your right, it was the pegasus (with wings) now that I think back a little more clearly. I just remember my new stepdad pointing it out to me and calling it the Sinclair bldg. We lived in Dallas for a short time after my mom and he were married. I also remember the Pearl sign too.

I miss the service stations. There was a station in Del Rio,family owned, that really went the extra mile to please. They would check the oil,clean the windshield,check tire pressure,and do a visual under the hood. Not that unusual back in the day. But... after my dad payed,the old man ,who owned the business,would always ask me....."Do you want a little Coke?" . He would give it to me free. (For those not as old as me...they used to sell coke in 8 oz bottles)
Thanks for the memories! keith and FG.......

Dr. Obinson ....pfffft! :lol:

edit to add....I think I figured out why I would get a free coke when trading at that station. We must of been at the station a lot as my dad had a new 64-65 GTO with 389 cu in tri-power carb...otherwise known as a six pack, 3- 2 barrel carbs. Drank a lot of premium/ ethyl gas.

·
8,558 Posts
And you could buy Premium gas that was 100 octane, or better!

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
Nice fine on the jacket, speaking of the bottles of coke price 5 cents , when dad had a country store and we sold Sunoco .

·
8,558 Posts
for 30 cents a gallon.

I don't remember gas less than 45 cents a gallon, so that was WAY before my time! :mocking: I seem to remember a car my parents had that needed 100 octane, minimum. I think they could get 107 octane, back then. By the time I could have driven that car (and they had bought it used), there was very little 100 octane around, that wasn't Avgas. One of the reasons dad sold it. Nice car, but that wonderful engine didn't like the crap, low octane fuel.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I don't remember gas less than 45 cents a gallon, so that was WAY before my time! :mocking: I seem to remember a car my parents had that needed 100 octane, minimum. I think they could get 107 octane, back then. By the time I could have driven that car (and they had bought it used), there was very little 100 octane around, that wasn't Avgas. One of the reasons dad sold it. Nice car, but that wonderful engine didn't like the crap, low octane fuel.
Cheapest gas I can remember is 67 cents a gallon. Filled my car up when I was heading home from college one weekend for 9 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
Well, from an old guy, I remember gas at 19.9 cents per gallon. That was before I was driving, legally, that is. Time for that price would have been in the mid-fifties.

As long as this is in off topic, I can say also that the guys who worked for my Dad would give me a quarter and a nickel to get them a pack of cigarettes. I got to keep the change (two cents).

OK, time to get back to the wonderful world of 2014.:laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
Well, from an old guy, I remember gas at 19.9 cents per gallon. That was before I was driving, legally, that is. Time for that price would have been in the mid-fifties.

As long as this is in off topic, I can say also that the guys who worked for my Dad would give me a quarter and a nickel to get them a pack of cigarettes. I got to keep the change (two cents).

OK, time to get back to the wonderful world of 2014.:laugh:
A bunch of youngins around here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts