Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a ExMark Lazer Z, E series machine the same month I bought my 1025r, so I did not buy a MMM with my 1 series. I have to say for my needs, this was clearly the right move.

Not only do I love the way the ExMark cuts the grass and find it extremely effecient, it also resulted in the expansion of my "neighborhood activities". Just as my 1025r caused me to now plow 28 of the driveways in my neighborhood since I purchased it, the Exmark resulted in the expansion of my lawn mowing activities, as well. Now, I spend two afternoons a week mowing 10 lawns in the neighborhood. Yes, I charge as these people all had lawn services or were doing the mowing themselves and asked me to take over the responsibility of their lawn care.

Since I am spending so much time on my lawn mower (about 12 to 15 hours a week), I decided to upgrade to a new mower. The prior Exmark had been flawless and an outstanding machine. In fact, I sold it last week to the first person to inquire about it and I was able to get 70% of what I paid for it new, despite it having 865 hours on it. Here is a picture of my mower right before it went to the new owner. The new owner is a commercial lawn operator. Note, the Kenny ROPS bracket .50cal tool box on the ROPS, which went with the machine...

exmark mower2.jpg

exmarkmower1.jpg

Here is the new machine, ExMark Lazer Z E Series with the suspension operator platform and the Kawasaki engine again, which is now a $500 upcharge or you get a Kohler or ExMark engine....It also has the MCS system and the JR Co implement mount with the thatcher. I also added the pedal operated discharge chute which is a GREAT, yet expensive ($600+) option as well as the commercial striping kit roller with ball bearings another $600+ option. All in, the new machine was $19,827.........but I am very happy......It's very comfortable and now spending 5 to 7 hours a day mowing on Thursday's and Friday's doesn't seem like as much work.

I already have 12 hours on it after 3 days. Just changed the oil today and went to Amsoil Synthetic just as I did on the last machine........Machine has a 5 year, 1,250 hour warranty on it. The old machine had one deck spindle replaced under warranty as the seal was bulging. Other than oil changes every 100 hours and hydro oil every 200 hours, a deck belt and a drive belt, the old machine never had a wrench turned on it. Extremely pleased with the ExMark machines I have owned...........Outstanding cutting quality and operation comfort.

Just had to share it with my GTT friends who know how much I liked and enjoyed my first ExMark machine. Looking forward to more of the same with this one..........

ex1.jpg
ex2.jpg
ex4.jpg
ex5.jpg
ex6.jpg
ex7.jpg
ex8.jpg

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Gorgeous machine, very popular with the professionals in my area.
Curious what the approximate hydraulic oil capacity is?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
nice mower!

I ran one last week with the floating platform (Toro brand) and I did not like it. But like anything, once you get used to it, you will always want it!

Enjoy man, that thing looks like a Cadillac!

What are the big knuckles at the front wheels? some kind of suspension system?

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,533 Posts
Great looking machine - My it provide even better service than the last one!

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
They look like they have the same symbols as the weights that are bolted to the front of the machine so I would guess more weight?

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,092 Posts
Sweet ride Sulley! :cool: Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Very nice! I have a standard platform, suspension seat Lazer Z E Series (2 years ) and love it. Cut my previous mow time on a rider from 2.5 hours to 1.5 (or less if I'm really in a hurry).

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,199 Posts
Nice machine Sulley (y)

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
I like that suspension seat! Nice new rig you got there Sully

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Holy cow, that's NICE!!

Curious about the MCS - Will that be primarily for leaf collection or do you anticipate using it a lot for grass as well?

Collect enough leaves and grass and you can start a compost business as well. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Nice looking machine. Congrats on the new ride. 😎

·
Registered
675 Posts
NICE NEW RIDE Sully!!!!

My landscaper bud has used Exmark for well over 20 years and loves them. He's had a few Walkers and Ransomes but he loves his red so he's back to Exmark for both his ZT and his 36" walk behind.

He's really had great service from those mowers. He maintains them meticulously and they not only look new after years of hard work but have worked great for thousands and thousands of hours for him and his wife.

Great investment in that new machine.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
41,670 Posts
They look like they have the same symbols as the weights that are bolted to the front of the machine so I would guess more weight?
Correct, front caster weights

·
Premium Member
12,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nice mower!

I ran one last week with the floating platform (Toro brand) and I did not like it. But like anything, once you get used to it, you will always want it!

Enjoy man, that thing looks like a Cadillac!

The big knuckles are counter balance weights to offset the capacity of the MCS system (bagger for those who aren't GTT veterans like you and I....)

I removed those once I removed the MCS and store them with the entire MCS system, which takes up quite a bit of space.......But it's also going to allow me to sell my 455 and MC519 cart, as I only have been using that machine for leaf pick up in the fall.

Check out this interesting engineering of the exhaust extension, built right onto the rear collection system. The entire rear MCS lays flat on the floor
ex9.jpg
ex10.jpg

and you back the machine up to it. Then, the base of the MCS fits over the rear mounting rod added to the mower and then you tip it up and it locks into place. When you tip it up, the exhaust elbow and extension slide right over the exhaust pipe so it doesn't blow exhaust on the bags or material. Once you drop the MCS, the exhaust extension stays with it and the muffler exhausts straight out of the back of the machine.

It's heavily built and the commercial MCS system sells for about $4,000, but it works very well and the entire system, including the deck blower and the weights on the front spindles all come off without any tools. I left the two front weights bolted through the JRCo bracket on the machine when I removed the MCS system....

Thanks for the nice comments on the machine. I am very happy with it.......and look forward to another great owner experience as I had with my first ExMark........I thought about keeping the first machine but I really don't need two. The guy who bought it is an experienced ExMark owner and really appreciated the machine, so I think its in good hands........

·
Premium Member
12,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very nice! I have a standard platform, suspension seat Lazer Z E Series (2 years ) and love it. Cut my previous mow time on a rider from 2.5 hours to 1.5 (or less if I'm really in a hurry).
I don't mow nearly as fast as I could, as I want the very best cut quality, plus the bumps can take it out of you over time. I did find that my mowing time per lawn is about 10 to 15 minutes faster with this new machine as it's easier to go a little faster with the operator platform suspension system.

The machine control levers on this one are shaped a little different than my other ExMark and they move forward and back with much less effort, in fact, the new machine moves a little too easy for what I am used to. I have to be careful not to "turf" when making the 180 turn at the end of each mowing row as I have always made a 3 point turn to avoid the turf damage. This new machine responds so quickly to any stick input, I have had to "slow down" and get used to the machine response. After an hour of use, it was the "new normal" and I am used to it.

We have had a LOT of rain in the past 30 days, in excess of 11" total, so things are "soft". We had a near drought before the rain so the rain restored everything back to very green but the soil is soft, so you need to be careful compared to when its much drier.........

To answer a couple of other questions asked....

The bracket removed from the front of the old machine was the original JR Co mounting system for my buggy cart and fertilizer spreader, which use the same mounting system as the new thatching attachment. I am going to paint up the old bracket and probably offer it for sale. Anyone who uses the JR Co implements needs their mounting bracket, which I think sells for about $200.......

As far as the MCS, it's primarily for leaf clean up and for occasional thatch and long grass clean up. I use the high lift blades on the deck and the Gator Blades with the "sharpened wings" on the blade, which greatly reduce the clipping size coming out of the machine. I have had a few times when the grass has really been growing where I needed to cross cut the lawns to get the proper finish. I now have the MCS as an option to put on the machine instead of cross cutting.

A couple of the lawns I mow grew over an 1" a day over the past couple of weeks with all of the rain and high temps. In fact, I have been cutting at 4" on the machine setting, which is my typical "summer cut length" for all lawns and I was cutting more than 4" off the grass when mowing, which I prefer not to do, but when you can almost watch the grass grow, you really have no choice..........

As far as the hydraulic capacity, I will have to ask my buddy at the dealer. I have personally never changed the hydro fluid on the ExMark's, I just send it to the dealer who is 3 miles away. He picks it up and services it and gets it back to me the same day. With all of the projects I have underway, I would rather pay for the service than take the time to do it myself.

He picked the machine up yesterday and did the oil change at 10 hours and returned it to me, all for $69, including the oil and filter for the engine. But he also did say that he doesn't sell a lot of $20k lawn mowers to residential customers, so he takes great care of me..............In fact, his daughter is getting married in the fall and they have asked me about performing the ceremony, so they are also close friends........ I might end up doing part of the ceremony, its still in their decision stage.

My friend that owns the dealer, I first met him when he was the mechanic at the small local John Deere Dealer, where I bought my 455 and all the attachments and accessories. I encouraged him to go into business and have served as an advisor to him the entire time he has built the business and he has done very well. His daughter is now helping him run the company and she does a great job as well. I am fortunate the have both a good dealer and great friends..........

1 - 20 of 50 Posts