Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Sweet machine and I'm sure this one will last and look as good as the last one years from now. It makes sense to get top of the line when you are going to be on it that many hours, particularly with your back issues.

Congratulations and give us an update after running it for a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Nice machine. I like that dethatcher too

·
Registered
526 Posts
Great machine and excellent choice.

My neighbor has a lawn care business and runs a Lazer, the other neighbor has had a Lazer for 16 years and just traded for a Radius this week after having a head gasket go on the Kohler. Both have been very happy with ExMark.

·
Premium Member
5,986 Posts
Nice Machine Sully. I'm in the market for a zero turn (an old leg injury is giving me trouble with the JD as the foot pedal is an issue now) and looked at the EXMark's but for just my lawn no way for the prices but I don't want a residential unit without good commercial wheel motors, engine, etc. and only a few have those options under 6 grand. I may be settled on a Simplicity but the dealer is coming out today to check out my property because I don't want to buy something that will end up on top of me with some of my hills.. Enjoy the new machine.

·
Premium Member
5,986 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
..............In fact, his daughter is getting married in the fall and they have asked me about performing the ceremony, so they are also close friends........ I might end up doing part of the ceremony, its still in their decision stage.

My friend that owns the dealer, I first met him when he was the mechanic at the small local John Deere Dealer, where I bought my 455 and all the attachments and accessories. I encouraged him to go into business and have served as an advisor to him the entire time he has built the business and he has done very well. His daughter is now helping him run the company and she does a great job as well. I am fortunate the have both a good dealer and great friends..........

That is awesome!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The reason I asked if it was some kind of suspension system is because my mower has these;
these are like a torsion spring similar to a trailer axle on a much smaller scale.

I was thinking eXmark may have come up with their own version of some sort of a front suspension system.
But the weights do make sense, and I did notice the stampings matched the collection system... that is a lot of weight hanging off the back. Very cool and looks well engineered.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm curious about what kind of grass you guys cut at 4". I wish I could cut that high. I have to cut at 1.5" which turns out to be a bit lower on my old 717 but a bit higher on my 910. I'm guessing my 20' FM is cutting just under 2" which is fine for the pasture it cuts which is centipede and bahaia. I guess centipede in a different thing alltogether.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
4” is what we cut in the dry summer months

·
Registered
826 Posts
What kind of grass? I'm assuming something like fescue. If you cut centipede at 4" all you would do is cut the seed pods off.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Correct. Fescue and bluegrass Northern climate grass will burn if cut too short

·
Premium Member
12,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
What kind of grass? I'm assuming something like fescue. If you cut centipede at 4" all you would do is cut the seed pods off.
To be totally honest, I don't which breed of grass is the most common around here as I never really checked. When I buy grass seed, I just tell Elmer at the Mill what I am doing and he provides the seed, which is usually categorized as "Full Sun, Full Shade or Mixture". The type of grass seed does make a big difference based upon the location.

For example, here is one yard I mow and take care of the landscaping and I replanted this entire front yard last year as when I took it over, the roots from the maples were all very exposed and dirt surrounded the tree trunks for 20'. I seeded this lawn with "Mixture" with "Full Shade" under the trees and its come in very nicely.......The roots grow back up to the surface, but the owner is pretty particular and likes it kept nice. Each yard is about 55,000 sq feet in our neighborhood with an acre of actual grass being the norm, with some perimeter lots nearly 2 acres of grass..

The owner of this house has a x5xx Deere but has delgated all work to me as he bought a cottage up on a lake and he and his family spend 80% of their time up there during the summer, etc. I just email him an invoice and he mails me a check........He likes the way his lawn looks now and told me he has no desire to resume its care. He even has the snow blower for his tractor but I plow his driveway as well. As he said "The time it takes me to get my tractor out, you are done with the driveway. Plus, sitting outside in the cold isn't near as much fun as it used to be."

Each week when I finish mowing a lawn, I take a picture of it and use the image dates to double check my invoicing at the end of the month. This house has security cameras and often, the last thing I do before I leave is use my back pack blower and clean off the porch, sidewalks and driveway. When I walk on the porch, the cameras send my image to the owner and he usually sends me a text message when I finish complimenting the result. He likes the attention to detail, as do I of cleaning off the porch, patios, hot tub area, etc........

Mor1.jpg

·
Premium Member
2015 5045e
187 Posts
I went and got a zero turn recently too, looked at the exmark. Heck of a machine right there!

Ended up going with Gravely because I live far from everybody and I've got reasonable support for it here. Couldn't say that about most other brands.

·
Premium Member
5,986 Posts
Correct. Fescue and bluegrass Northern climate grass will burn if cut too short
absolutely Kyle,, I cut mine at 4" and just did after three weeks of rain and no mowing, I will have to go out again tomorrow and lower it to 3.5" for the rest of the summer,, same grass as you only they call it the Northeast blend,, same stuff! I did buy the simplicity courier 52/25 zero turn this morning,, fun to learn on! I'll head back out with my JD X738 tomorrow to get where I didn't dare get next to,, not quite yet anyway! Never operated one and it may take a few to get it down so I don't take out rear deck support post!
Sorry Sulley for stepping on your thread. I could never afford your machine for my own lawn needs ( I would end up in divorce court). If I did commercial which I will never do, I would jump all over that machine. My dealer and good friend 2 miles from my house carries, Exmark, Husqvarna, Ferris and simplicity zero turns. He has 2 Husky 13K machines left and he will not see another machine until September he stated today.. he has 50 units not just zero's, already waiting to come in with deposits.. He sold 6 zeros since last Friday when I went over to price one out. I wanted a Husky commercial but he sold it and this Simplicity was my next choice with the suspension and 52" deck.. oh well. it works and that's all a man can ask for; did my entire lawn 2.5 to 3 acres in 1.5 hours vs, 3 hours and I had to go over a few spots twice it was so wet and long. no bagger.. These things are very cool and fast...!! (y)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Sulley
I know we each have back problems and you cut much more than myself. I know the suspension will work great for you, nice machine👍👍. Take care my friend.

Reactions: tj1 and SulleyBear
21 - 40 of 50 Posts