Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cousin called at 6pm and asked if I would be on recovery standby...:mocking:

He got his Landini hung up on a Blueberry crown stump while chopping prunings, and had his wife coming out with the truck.

630PM the phone rang again. "Nope, the truck nearly got stuck backing up to the tractor".

So off we go on a quick 3 mile road trip, to his field.

Got there, and his ground is still like a half dried sponge. Fluffy and half dried Peat and sand.
As soon as he hit the crown with the underside of his 8506, the tires just dug until he got on the clutch.
To make matters worse, he had 1500lbs of Brush Bull, hung on the row crown.

No problem.

Deere does an awesome job on their traction control. The 5425N didn't even strain.:bigthumb:

Who has stuck and recovery pics already for this season?

Post 'em up!! No shame!
Of course we are all gonna laugh, because we know we are probably next.:banghead::banghead:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Good job on the save. Getting stuck will be later in the year for me, right after I do something I shouldn't. But you know, we all have to try. :laugh:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Usually later for me too.
Except, you've already been stuck this year!! I recall your daughter was smart enough to not take the truck to the barn in the mud. You, however, proceeded to drive the truck to the muddy barn area, and get it stuck!! :mocking:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,468 Posts
Except, you've already been stuck this year!! I recall your daughter was smart enough to not take the truck to the barn in the mud. You, however, proceeded to drive the truck to the muddy barn area, and get it stuck!! :mocking:
That was my daughters fault not mine. Besides, I was showing her what NOT to do. :munch:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
That was my daughters fault not mine. Besides, I was showing her what NOT to do. :munch:
:munch: :munch: still waiting on pics... :munch: :munch:

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Yea, how else do they learn unless we show them what not to do!! :mocking::mocking:

I've not been stuck with the Green Machine but my Carol has taken over lawn mowing with our X320 and has managed to get 'high centered' several times already (no pictures). Thankfully it's been a hand pull out and not required the Green Machine.
:kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,752 Posts
You da man! You da man!
I like how your mind works on the "blame" thing.
Old Cajun taking notes. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
I knew FG would call you on that, she never forgets

Her fault? She was SMART enough to stay out, I don't think she needed to be shown "what not to do"

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
Cousin called at 6pm and asked if I would be on recovery standby...:mocking:

He got his Landini hung up on a Blueberry crown stump while chopping prunings, and had his wife coming out with the truck.

630PM the phone rang again. "Nope, the truck nearly got stuck backing up to the tractor".

So off we go on a quick 3 mile road trip, to his field.

Got there, and his ground is still like a half dried sponge. Fluffy and half dried Peat and sand.
As soon as he hit the crown with the underside of his 8506, the tires just dug until he got on the clutch.
To make matters worse, he had 1500lbs of Brush Bull, hung on the row crown.

No problem.

Deere does an awesome job on their traction control. The 5425N didn't even strain.:bigthumb:

Who has stuck and recovery pics already for this season?

Post 'em up!! No shame!
Of course we are all gonna laugh, because we know we are probably next.:banghead::banghead:
I think the BrushBull caused the stuck. I will gladly come and take it so your cousin will no longer have it getting him stuck.

Good to see your Deere pulling out a Landini

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,468 Posts
I knew FG would call you on that, she never forgets

Her fault? She was SMART enough to stay out, I don't think she needed to be shown "what not to do"
Just go with it will ya! :lol:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,730 Posts
Just go with it will ya! :lol:
Gizmo it was a learning experience for your daughter, you knew she would get hung up,but she needed to find out for herself. So you left her get hungup so she would know how the truck would handle in this type condition , so she would know not to do this again. RIGHT :bigthumb::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the BrushBull caused the stuck. I will gladly come and take it so your cousin will no longer have it getting him stuck.

Good to see your Deere pulling out a Landini
Gelders sold that one 2 years ago, to another grower, who recently decided it was too wide for the 8' rows he planted, so he dumped it cheap.:yahoo:

I'm jealous of course...I paid 300 bucks more for mine, 10 years ago when Alfs place was still in business .:banghead:

He needs 2-3 weights on the front. The 8506 is crazy light in the front without a drive axle, and combined with being so short.
It's bad enough on my 85F.

If he ever decides to dump it...which I doubt, I'll let ya know.:good2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Story from about 8 years ago...

Early one winter (late fall....) I was putting up a new building and I took delivery of a new overhead door at work. This door was a 16' wide x 14' high roll up, so it weighed about 700 lbs with its crate and everything. I brought the flat bed trailer to work and hauled everything home. Where I went wrong was when I decided to drive up the neighbors field road to get to the back part of my property where it would work the best to unload the door crate. We had had some snow already and I thought it was already frozen underneath. Wrong. About 200 feet from the road, I buried the truck and trailer both up to the wheel hubs in sticky half frozen mud.

I was still about 1200' away from where I needed to be.

After a brief moment of panic, I walked up to the house (lost my boots three times) and got the big Oliver 1850 tractor. Drove it back to where the truck was stuck and hooked up the chains. When I put the Ollie into low first gear it pulled the F150 and trailer all the way up to the building through foot deep mud without even breaking a sweat.

I love my Oliver (it's green, it counts!)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Not this year's stuck, but one of the most impressive, in one way, that I've seen.

Our property has a place where there used to be a gravel turn-around but a previous owner covered it in some topsoil and seeded it to grass. Given that it's the firmest place in the lawn and we have very little parking space, we often have visitors park on the grass there. One day, my business partner shows up and says she pulled into the grass to park, tried to straighten up the car, and couldn't move. I walked out and tried to drive the the car out because she's not the world's best motor vehicle operator. The tires were barely into the mud, not even up to the wheel, so I didn't think it was really stuck. Sure enough, well and truly stuck. I leaned up against the car to sigh for a moment and promptly fell on my butt. Leaning against the car had slid the car about 2' sideways!

The backstory here is that this was late winter and we'd had a very hard winter. The ground had been frozen solid for 2 months. Then, starting 36 hours before this happened, it warmed up into the 60s and rained to beat all. So we had 3-4" of wet, soupy topsoil on top of frozen solid ground. I squiggled my foot around and was actually able to wipe the grass and topsoil off the frost line like wiping pudding off a table.

I got out the come-alongs I have everyone keep in their trunks and hitched up to the car and a stump and started to ratchet her back to the gravel driveway. How slick was it? With the car in neutral and the parking brake off, the wheels didn't even turn as it slid towards the driveway! Eventually, I got her onto the driveway but I sure was pissed at the super-short pull, cheap come-alongs we all had at that point. I'm not sure what they were supposed to be, but I got about 5' a pull out of them by the time I took the slack out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts