Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , here I have a 6X4 J.D. Gator, GASSER, Bought from neighbor, it had a front plow on it at one time but was not on when I bought it. So I remove the actuator (lift) for the plow on front assuming it is the same as dump bed actuator? Well after loading with harvested firewood get back to homestead and it won't dump it out. Doesn't seem to have any adjustments on actuator. Does anyone no for sure if the plow lift actuator and the bed dump actuator are the same or are they made for specific applications? Do I need to purc=hase the bed actuator to have the strength to lift bed when loaded? Have had 2 diesel gators with bed actuators and never questioned if it would lift what I put in the bed, ANY HAELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED!! :banghead:
THANKS
WALTMART

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,724 Posts
What model year is the Gator?

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
6X4 Gator, 2004
On the 6 x 4 here is what I found for the dump actuator. The parts listing is for the Military model as I couldn't find any other 6 x 4 Gator model. It also looks like many of the Gators use the same dump actuator, or that Deere has consolidated the parts down to fewer part numbers.......Double check to make sure this is the right Gator model before doing anything. Here is the link to the John Deere parts website and illustration for the Military Model of the 6 x 4 Gator, the accessory section

John Deere Parts Catalog

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ok , here I have a 6X4 J.D. Gator, GASSER, Bought from neighbor, it had a front plow on it at one time but was not on when I bought it. So I remove the actuator (lift) for the plow on front assuming it is the same as dump bed actuator? Well after loading with harvested firewood get back to homestead and it won't dump it out. Doesn't seem to have any adjustments on actuator. Does anyone no for sure if the plow lift actuator and the bed dump actuator are the same or are they made for specific applications? Do I need to purc=hase the bed actuator to have the strength to lift bed when loaded? Have had 2 diesel gators with bed actuators and never questioned if it would lift what I put in the bed, ANY HAELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED!! :banghead:
THANKS
WALTMART
Is the plow a JD product or aftermarket?

If the plow is aftermarket, chances are the actuator is different than the bed type.

Just a hunch here, I think the lift rating of the plow actuator would be less than a bed type....

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Waltmart,

Here are some pages from the PC2387 parts catalog for the 4x2 and 6x4 gators -- they are definitely different units.

View attachment power lift for front plow and for cargo bed from PC2387.pdf

Even though these two actuators share many common parts, the motor shaft gear and the clutch components are different for each, so my belief is that the gear reduction ratio and actuation time for full travel (and therefore the force developed) is quite different.

Chuck

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Waltmart,

Here are some pages from the PC2387 parts catalog for the 4x2 and 6x4 gators -- they are definitely different units.

View attachment 686740

Even though these two actuators share many common parts, the motor shaft gear and the clutch components are different for each, so my belief is that the gear reduction ratio and actuation time for full travel (and therefore the force developed) is quite different.

Chuck
THAT MAKES SINCE, Thanks for the reply, Look like I will be replacing the actuator on the bed and keeping old on for parts,

THANKS AGAIN,
WALTMART

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the 6 x 4 here is what I found for the dump actuator. The parts listing is for the Military model as I couldn't find any other 6 x 4 Gator model. It also looks like many of the Gators use the same dump actuator, or that Deere has consolidated the parts down to fewer part numbers.......Double check to make sure this is the right Gator model before doing anything. Here is the link to the John Deere parts website and illustration for the Military Model of the 6 x 4 Gator, the accessory section

John Deere Parts Catalog
So, After printing out the parts schematic for both the bed and plow actuator. They both have the same components down to the gear and clutch, Am wondering if any one has ever changed those parts out. Looks like it may be worth the effort at the price of new actuator?($700.00, plus) Any assistance with changing out the parts?

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE ASSISTANCE WITH THE PARTS SCHEMATIC, Very helpful.
WALTMART

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ordered clutch and gear

Well I have the parts on order and hopefully that will take care of lift issue? Ordered the Clutch and the gear. All else stays the same
:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

THANKS FOR THE ASSITANCE ALL INVOLVED!!!

WALTMART

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Received the parts and replace the clutch and gear, WORKS LIKE A CHAMP,:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:
Quite a cost saving over the just under $800.00 cost of a new one!!:gizmo:

WALTMART

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent Waltmart !!

Glad to know that it can be converted so readily with just a couple of less expensive components...

Chuck
Yes haven't tested it yet with the heavy items that I harvest but next week will be a tell tail sign, Have an oak down and is 24" at the trunk base, Should be able to dump that with out an issue ? SHALL SEE!!

Was an easy exchange on the parts !!!!!

Waltmart

1 - 12 of 12 Posts