Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have used these in the past and they are super convenient but just thinking if there is a cheaper alternentive or do I just spend the cash have gone from a x304 $40.00 mat. kit to x730 $ 85.00 mat. kit.. Thanks :greentractorride::greentractorride:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have used these in the past and they are super convenient but just thinking if there is a cheaper alternentive or do I just spend the cash have gone from a x304 $40.00 mat. kit to x730 $ 85.00 mat. kit.. Thanks :greentractorride::greentractorride:
I just bit the bullet and bought the kit. Of course I got notified by my MowerPlus app advertising 15% off the kits now that I got one. If you purchase one before 10/27/17 you can get the discount.

You could have your local parts guy price everything in the kit separately and see what's cheeper.
I just ordered a Stihl tune up kit from my local JD dealership. Parts guy told me it had to come from another store. No big deal because he also had to get me valve cover gaskets from the same store. When I went to pick everything up. The Stihl parts were in a little paper bag vs the fancy plastic container the kit normally comes in. The kit only includes spark plug, air and fuel filters. Then he informed me that I have like $3 coming back because the separate parts were cheeper. Go figure. lol
The credit was quickly absorbed by other parts that I needed. The other store also sent 3 gaskets instead of 2 so I gave them back the extra one.

Your other option is to search for cheeper and possibly substandard parts from the aftermarket. Not that I'd recommend this.

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
You could have your local parts guy price everything in the kit separately and see what's cheeper.
If the maintenance kit is on-sale then it is probably cleaper than buying the parts separately. Otherwise it was only a $0.50 difference for my X500. If you are currently using JD oil then you are ok but if not you'll be paying for two quarts of oil you probably won't use.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
80 bucks a yr aint bad but I understand what you mean. How many hrs and under what conditions are you operating? I would inspect the air filter and spark plugs. If they look ok just get oil, oil filter and fuel filter.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
And.. If ya catch it on sale. ..aint nobody saying you have to use it all. That way you have extra stuff.. Spare plugs, air filter ect. I would be curious tho what the price would be separate if you caught it during a filter sale. Someone that's more anal than me outta dig this one up. Lol. Maybe we all can come out a lil cheaper!

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
At 15% off I get them for both my tractors whether I need them or not.They don't spoil or expire and they're cheaper sitting on my shelf than theirs.:good2:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I never bother with the kits because I buy oil by the case, and dont change the fuel filter every year (every 2nd year).

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
If the maintenance kit is on-sale then it is probably cleaper than buying the parts separately. Otherwise it was only a $0.50 difference for my X500. If you are currently using JD oil then you are ok but if not you'll be paying for two quarts of oil you probably won't use.
On my last tractor I used synthetic oil. However the Turf Guard oil from the kit never went to waste. I just used it in my JS61 walk behind mower.

So far (210 hours) I have just been using the kit TG in my 14/540. Recently I was changing the oil in my girlfriend's POS MTD push mower. I just used the last of my B&S 30 weight oil in my JS61. While searching through the leftover jugs of car oil for something to use. She says that she wants the good oil that I use in the tractor. Later today we are going to HD to get her mower a new blade. She doesn't know it yet but she will be buying me another quart of TG. lol

Reactions: OxPath and Marlin

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
I prefer AmsOil products for as many of the items as I can get . . . otherwise it's back to Deere for the parts. For the 1026R I'm able to get all but the hydraulic oil filter which I get get Green Farm Parts.

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
I never bother with the kits because I buy oil by the case, and dont change the fuel filter every year (every 2nd year).
I buy JD 10W-30 by the case as well and I use it in all my small engines. I change my X500 oil and filter every 25 hrs and I put the maintenance kit in every 100 hrs. With my usage that works out to two oil changes per year and a maintenance kit every two years. Not a waste of supplies by any means.

When I installed my first maintenance kit I saved the foam outer filter from the air cleaner and washed it. Now at each oil change I check it and if it is dirty I swap it for the clean one. It really helps keep the paper air filter clean and the engine breathing well.

Reactions: OxPath

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Maybe I'm nuts but I buy the M kits twice a year for my X738. After the winter and snowblowing everything gets changed but the hydro fluid and filter, then before winter again I change the same items, Spring and fall religiously.. Changed out the hydro fluid and filter after 50 hours and will do the same after 200 hours.. I change the stuff out probably more than I have to but I want the machine to last me the rest of my life and yes they are 85 bucks a whack for the M kits too...

·
Premium Member
13,831 Posts
And.. If ya catch it on sale. ..aint nobody saying you have to use it all. That way you have extra stuff.. Spare plugs, air filter ect. I would be curious tho what the price would be separate if you caught it during a filter sale. Someone that's more anal than me outta dig this one up. Lol. Maybe we all can come out a lil cheaper!

Someone already did, I can't find it now but it's been done. They priced out everything that comes in a 1 series filter pack individually and it was quite a savings.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Ok.. Filter kit for x730 is 85.91. Seperate it is 86.30. Most expensive part is the air filters at 45.27 for both the paper filter and foam wrap. Dang huh?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'm only expressing my own opinion here. I don't use a "kit" because there is no kit for a 855 tractor. But Really? A kit. Why? Just so you can leave the dealership with one package under your arm. GREAT if your goal is simple convenience & your willing to have them rob the cash out of your wallet. Normal maintenance items on most of these tractors is simple. Oil, filters, maybe some grease. What else is there? These kits are sold because many (not all) people never bother to read the OWNERS MANUAL & take the time to learn what is needed. Maybe the kit is cheaper, maybe not. But buying the necessary items is not exactly a challenge to the average non mechanically inclined person.

These kits, & all this junk surrounding JD maintenance items, is nothing more than what most lawyers would call "Fluff". Just a lot of marketing hype. And as long as people are kept so scared to make decisions on there own, then you will continue to see the prices of these kits & other off the shelf every day items skyrocket in price. Again, just my opinion. But JD is a leader in marketing scare tactics to sell its "after sale" junk items at outrageous prices.

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
These kits, & all this junk surrounding JD maintenance items, is nothing more than what most lawyers would call "Fluff". Just a lot of marketing hype. And as long as people are kept so scared to make decisions on there own, then you will continue to see the prices of these kits & other off the shelf every day items skyrocket in price. Again, just my opinion. But JD is a leader in marketing scare tactics to sell its "after sale" junk items at outrageous prices.
I also believe that the kits are a nice convenience for John Q. Homeowner who isn't always the best at maintaining his equipment. There's no way he his searching around to find the part numbers for the various items. It's a stretch just to get the oil changed.

The kit is just that... a kit. He can take it home and at X-number of hours he installs all the widgets in the box and he's good for another season.

I've priced the components several times and at regular price it's almost a wash but when you can find them on sale the kit can save as much as $10 off the price of the separate parts.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Well HD didn't have a blade for my girlfriend's mower so we went to Lowes. After searching every bin I finally found one. When I put the quart of TG on the scanner she cried like a little girl. lol I said hay you wanted to use the good stuff. lol She bought it.

The service schedule on my X540 is pretty much the same as my old L108 tractor. After the break in charge it is 100 hours or one year.

On L108 I bought just the oil & filter for the first 8 hour change. Then I bought a kit on sale for the next time. After the first I did it seasonally. After the warranty was up I switched to synthetic oil but used the JD filters. Eventually I bought a K&N air filter for it. That saved me some money in the long run.

On the X540 I bought a kit with the tractor. It had 4 hours on it already. So at 8 hours I used the oil & filter from the kit. Around 50 hours I checked the air filter. Only to find whoever put the plastic cover over it pushed the foam pre filter 1/2 off of the inner paper one. Needless to say it was black. I immediately installed the new filters from my kit. Went back to my selling dealership to complain. They said it must have happened at the factory and covered it under warranty. Picked up more oil and a filter at the same time. At 100 hours I did everything but the air filters. Did the air filters at the end of the grass cutting season at around 150 hours. Just did the 200 hour service on it. However not all at the same time. Did the oil and filter along with the fuel filter. Then about 10 hours later I did the spark plugs along with the valve adjustment. I'm holding off on the air filters, transmission service with filter and coolant changing until the deck comes off for the year. Or 250 hours which ever comes first. For now the TG oil gets used. May eventually switch to synthetic and get a K&N air filter.

So the morel to my story is. I'm sticking to the factory service schedule hours wise. Especially while it is still under warranty. This way my butt (and tractor) is covered should anything go wrong. It doesn't really matter if you buy the parts in a kit or separately. As long as the service gets done properly. I still had to buy the transmission fluid and filter separately.

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
Well HD didn't have a blade for my girlfriend's mower so we went to Lowes. After searching every bin I finally found one. When I put the quart of TG on the scanner she cried like a little girl. lol I said hay you wanted to use the good stuff. lol She bought it.
Lowes is one of the most expensive places to purchase Turf-Gard. Actually, I've not found anyplace that beats the local dealer.

TY22029 (TG 1qt 10W-30)

Lowes: $6.38
Home Depot: $5.48
GFP: $4.55
Dealer: $3.71

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok.. Filter kit for x730 is 85.91. Seperate it is 86.30. Most expensive part is the air filters at 45.27 for both the paper filter and foam wrap. Dang huh?

It would be nice if K&N or some one else made a washable one as they are more up front but pay for them self's over time....

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
It would be nice if K&N or some one else made a washable one as they are more up front but pay for them self's over time....
I pull these filters all the time and very seldom is the paper filter bad. If it was mine I would have a couple extra foam filters and just change them as needed. Same with spark plugs. Its in the kit but they look new when I pull em. It is what it is. I wouldn't skimp on the fuel and oil filters nor the oil. But hey I can see a dirty air filter without removing it. But at the dealer we sell a kit with the service so.. You get the full meal deal.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Lowes is one of the most expensive places to purchase Turf-Gard. Actually, I've not found anyplace that beats the local dealer.

TY22029 (TG 1qt 10W-30)

Lowes: $6.38
Home Depot: $5.48
GFP: $4.55
Dealer: $3.71
It was convenient to just buy it from Lowes. The price sounds about right. Plus it would have cost me more than $2 in gas to drive to the dealership.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts