Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LT155 is almost 15 years old and has been used very much over that time. The splined pulley that goes on the input shaft of the hydrostatic transmission is worn allowing the pulley to wobble and slip enough that the mower would not move. After removing the transmission I found the input shaft splines are gone as well. The two spacers, one on top and the other on the bottom of the pulley still have enough of the spline left to fit snugly on the input shaft which also in those two areas has some spline left.

Carried it to a local JD dealer and they said JD didn't sell the shaft separate and I'd have to replace the transmission, a $969 plus tax deal. I said "no thanks" and left. Driving back home I went by a local welder to see if it could be tack welded and he said "No". I still think it could be but didn't have access to a welder myself. I started looking on Craigslist and found several mowers claimed to be in good to excellent condition for sale between $400 and $600.

I went by an auto parts store and bought some JB weld. Aligned the pulley on the spacer and placed them on the input shaft, JB welded everything together and let it set for 36 hours. I installed it back on the mower today and mowed almost an acre with it, using it in forward and reverse as I normally would.

So far so good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
You never know, it might just last a good long time. :drinks:

I would keep looking for a replacement, just in case.

Gotta say I am curious just how long this will hold. :unknown:

I'm pullin' for ya! No pun intended. Well maybe....

·
Registered
200 Posts
If it is a tuff torq hydrostatic, they are great to deal with for parts such as the input shaft, as well as rebuild kits for the infamous K46. JD would not be able to help, like you said, but to offer a replacement at a marked up price.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Crazy.....They had all the parts needed to rebuilt my 1986 JD180 Peerless transmission available. To the tune of $400+ in parts of course. (They also wanted ~$900 for a new trans - probably more than the mower is worth.)

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Crazy.....They had all the parts needed to rebuilt my 1986 JD180 Peerless transmission available. To the tune of $400+ in parts of course. (They also wanted ~$900 for a new trans - probably more than the mower is worth.)
I would guess that JD has found it is not worth stocking the replacement parts for their lower level lawn mowers. I would guess that more often than not the trans outlast the rest of the tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
They had to order the parts, but at least they were all available. I don't think the 180 was really that high up the chain as far as options go. 17hp Kawi gas engine and regular trans (not hydrostat)

I was surprised when I could get all of the parts - I know in the auto industry, OEM's are required to support warranty parts for 10 years - after that, you may be on the hunt at a local pick-n-pull.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
They had to order the parts, but at least they were all available. I don't think the 180 was really that high up the chain as far as options go. 17hp Kawi gas engine and regular trans (not hydrostat)

I was surprised when I could get all of the parts - I know in the auto industry, OEM's are required to support warranty parts for 10 years - after that, you may be on the hunt at a local pick-n-pull.
Actually, the 180 and the 185 were Deere's top of the line lawn tractors in the day. In fact, they were about top of the line for the industry. Remember these were made about 25 years ago to almost 30 years ago. They used the old Peerless transmissions for the gear drives and Eatons for the hydros. More than likely it isn't JD that turned off the supply chain, but Peerless and Eaton. Luckily those transmissions were in a lot of JDs for that time period and JD sold a lot of those tractors. After the Peerless and tehe Eaton transmissions were be phased out, Deere went with the Dana units for the gear drives and Kanzaki (Tuff Torq) for the hydros in the LX1XX line.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Actually, the 180 and the 185 were Deere's top of the line lawn tractors in the day. In fact, they were about top of the line for the industry. Remember these were made about 25 years ago to almost 30 years ago. They used the old Peerless transmissions for the gear drives and Eatons for the hydros. More than likely it isn't JD that turned off the supply chain, but Peerless and Eaton. Luckily those transmissions were in a lot of JDs for that time period and JD sold a lot of those tractors. After the Peerless and tehe Eaton transmissions were be phased out, Deere went with the Dana units for the gear drives and Kanzaki (Tuff Torq) for the hydros in the LX1XX line.
I did not know that (Ed McMahon voice....)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Parts are available directly from Tuff Torq

I had a similar problem on an LT166, which is the same transmission, this spring. Should your repair fail, I purchased an new input shaft directly from Tuff Torq for ~$50 shipped. The input shaft can be pulled from the top of the tranny without dissembling. I purchased a new pulley and spaces from Greenfarm parts. Additionally, I changed out the fluid with Castrol synthetic 5w 50 as recommended by Tuff Torq.

I addressed a couple of other issues including a leak around the bypass arm shaft which needed a couple of new O-rings.

Lots of good info can be found here: K51 TuffTorq problems - Tractors Forum - GardenWeb

Hope your repair holds.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It looks like it can be welded to me if not definitely brazed with a torch setup.Or at least drilled through and have a bolt or cotter pin in it, or drilled and tapped for a set screw.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on the JB Weld.

I ,or my wife, have now used the repaired mower the rest of last mowing season, from July thru November, and again this year from April thru today, 9-2-2015, and it has operated flawlessly. Very pleased with the $3.50 repair on the transmission.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts