Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a John Deere 102 5 speed 42 inch lawn tractor. I have had it for about 6 years now. Two weeks ago it was running fine. When I was done I hosed it off and cleaned it. Yesterday when I went to mow my lawn, I started it and at first it wouldn't move, then it would move a few inches then stop and a few inches and stop and keep doing this.

At first I thought it may be a wet drive belt slipping in the pulleys. I took the mowing deck off and checked everything and it is dry. The belt tensioner seems to be working although it is not VERY tight. I can move the belt by hand an inch or so.

I am not sure what the issue is. Process of elimination would dictate that it is either a problem with the tension of the belt or a problem with the transmission.

Is there any way to isolate the issue and what should I do next?

Thank you for your expert assistance since I am not as experienced as you guys/gals are.

Mike

·
Administrator
20,468 Posts
You'll probably want to inspect your drive belt, sheaves, and transmission input shaft. We've heard reports of the input shaft/pulley stripping out on certain models. But look for obvious defects too. Is the belt tight, in good condition, and running through the correct path? Is it old and glazed over?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll probably want to inspect your drive belt, sheaves, and transmission input shaft. We've heard reports of the input shaft/pulley stripping out on certain models. But look for obvious defects too. Is the belt tight, in good condition, and running through the correct path? Is it old and glazed over?
Everything looks good. I replaced the belt. The tension is good. The belt spins fine but after further observation the pulley and shaft that attach to the transmission is not turning. Looks like it is stuck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts