Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to add a horn to my 2017 1025R. Not that one is necessary, but I like to look at it as a safety option. If I'm out and get into a situation where I need help, I can draw attention by sounding the horn.

I'm sure there are many ways to do this install, but this is my way with what I had on hand. I purchased the horn set and button from Amazon. Everything else I already had from previous projects.

The horns came as a pair. I wanted this to be loud. I used a push-button starter switch for the horn button. It's waterproof and works well.

My first goal was to find a location to mount the horns. I found that the support bar holding the oil cooler in front of the radiator had an unused hole on each end. I placed a horn next to the holes to check for clearance. It was a perfect fit. I was also able to determine that the radiator screen's removal was not affected

I could have used bolts/nuts to attach the horns to the support bar, but I decided to use riv-nuts instead of nuts. In order to install the riv-nuts, I had to remove the cooler mount. Four bolts and it was off.

Once the riv-nuts were installed, the mount bar gets reinstalled and the horns get mounted. I used LocTite on the bolt threads.

With the horn mounting complete, I needed to install the horn button. I checked my options and decided on the space under the turn signal switch. I removed the six 10mm bolts that attach the dash assembly to the tractor and was able to pull the dash out just enough to check the area I had chosen for clearance. It appeared to have adequate room for the button. I found a drill bit that was just the right size and drilled the hole in the dash. The test fit was successful.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Part 2

Now to run the wiring. My original intent was to run the wires through wire loom from the horns to the switch. I didn't have any loom on hand and really didn't want the wires running without protection- or the messy look it creates. I found an old appliance cord, perhaps from an old vacuum cleaner, that was about 16-18 gauge with 2 wires. It was flexible and well-insulated. What the heck, might as well use what I have.

I made a jumper wire to go from the right horn to the left horn, then connected the left horn and ran the wire down to the bottom of the radiator compartment where the tractor's wiring exits .

From there I took the wire straight up and across the radiator reservoir to the support rod that runs from behind the radiator to the firewall.

Once at the firewall I ran the wire through to the area of the dash. I stripped the outer insulation from the wire and cut the white wire for attachment to the switch.

I mounted the switch and sent the wire on over to the fuse block/load center. I had an add-a-circuit that allowed me to use an existing space on the block- in this case I used the 30A circuit that powers the power outlet near the cup holder. The negative wire was pushed through the firewall and attached under a grounded nut. Finished...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
Nice job :thumbup1gif:

But one question....why 2-15 amp fuses? You should only need one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice job 1gif:

One 15 amp fuse is for the existing fuse spot the other would be for his horn. I used the same add a circuit for my work lights and put it in the headlight fuse spot so they only come on with the headlights

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,737 Posts
One 15 amp fuse is for the existing fuse spot the other would be for his horn. I used the same add a circuit for my work lights and put it in the headlight fuse spot so they only come on with the headlights

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Makes sense. I had not seen that device before.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice job :thumbup1gif:

DWJM2513 got it right. No splicing wires this way.

Thanks
:)

Reactions: fdmars and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
13,690 Posts
Nice installation.

It looks like the old style switches which were fairly stiff, which would be good and prevent you from having the horn blow just by bumping the switch, etc. Stiff enough to require specific effort to activate the switch but not so that it's difficult to push. You don't want to be bumping the horn button often and blowing it accidentally or people will ignore you and just say "It's that horny guy on the tractor again.....":laugh:

I actually used the turn signal the other day when I was driving the tractor down the road. Never thought I would use it but when the chance arose, it was handy as it was a left hand turn and I didn't want the guy behind me to go around me on the left when I was making the turn. Amazingly, the driver was paying attention, which was refreshing. Sadly, now you encounter people looking down at their phones the majority of the time, even when driving.

On an unrelated note to the OP's post, it will sure be nice when the GTT Administrator gets the picture links working correctly again so it doesn't display the full photo and the same image in the "manage Attachments" link attached to each post. Not sure why they are both showing as it didn't used to be that way.

John Deere sells a horn kit for the tractors and Gators and others. Of course, its a "premium part" and the horn kit sells for right at $100. Here is a listing. Interestingly, the picture shows a push button switch just like you used. But according to a review posted, it actually comes with a rocker switch and you have to buy the push button horn separately. A rocker switch wouldn't fit nearly as cleanly on the dash as does the push button. Plus their kit only includes one $12 horn, the wire harness, a bracket and the switch for the $100.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Horn-Kit-BM23370.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice installation.

John Deere sells a horn kit for the tractors and Gators and others. Of course, its a "premium part" and the horn kit sells for right at $100. Here is a listing. Interestingly, the picture shows a push button switch just like you used. But according to a review posted, it actually comes with a rocker switch and you have to buy the push button horn separately. A rocker switch wouldn't fit nearly as cleanly on the dash as does the push button. Plus their kit only includes one $12 horn, the wire harness, a bracket and the switch for the $100.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Horn-Kit-BM23370.html

Thanks.
$100 for a horn kit is nonsense!

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Thanks.
$100 for a horn kit is nonsense!
Most of that cost is the harness Im sure. Most places get a lot of money for premade harnesses.
I get why people would buy it, and I get why quite a few of us wouldnt, me included. I also dont like high tone horns, so Im not sure Id like the OPs set up either. Most of those small round horns are very high tone, but not all.
My Exmark wears a set of horns from a later model VW, which are about as high a tone as Id like. What I really want is a set of horns off an old Cadillac, they sound like a train...but they are hard to come by used. Everyone wants them.

Reactions: JD4044M and MadOx

·
Registered
968 Posts
Nice write up and photos but why would one require a horn on a tractor? I thought possibly if the dog gets in the way while cutting the grass. But even then he is smart enough to move. It’s not like a tractor is silent and one can’t hear it coming.

Flashing lights for snow plowing/blowing at night or blizzard conditions is a useful thing for safety. But honestly I do not see the safety factor of a horn on a tractor. Help could be better obtained on cell phone.

·
Registered
913 Posts
why would one require a horn on a tractor?
So you don't have to get off the tractor when you're picking up your date at her house.:laugh:

Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Motor vehicle

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice write up and photos but why would one require a horn on a tractor? I thought possibly if the dog gets in the way while cutting the grass. But even then he is smart enough to move. It’s not like a tractor is silent and one can’t hear it coming.

Flashing lights for snow plowing/blowing at night or blizzard conditions is a useful thing for safety. But honestly I do not see the safety factor of a horn on a tractor. Help could be better obtained on cell phone.
I'd like to have one when I have one of my family members or friends helping me out with tasks, to be able to get their attention, or when backing up or going through a door way. Sometimes people are not paying attention like they should be.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'd like to have one when I have one of my family members or friends helping me out with tasks, to be able to get their attention, or when backing up or going through a door way. Sometimes people are not paying attention like they should be.

OK, ya might need another beer and they could get it for you:clapping::clapping:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts