Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there such a thing as a Category 1 'Lawn Rake' that I can use to rake my lawn grass of small debri in the spring such as fallen twigs, etc?

I have seen 'Landscape Rakes'..... but they are heavy duty and look like they are made for grading gravel drives.

Thanks for any suggestions...... I thought about hooking up a cheap-o dethatcher...... maybe that would suffice.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I purchased an everything attachments pine needle rake. I use it to clean up and dethatch my lawn.

·
Registered
12,453 Posts
I purchased an everything attachments pine needle rake. I use it to clean up and dethatch my lawn.
Firemark--how did that pine needle rake work for u? the pics u showed, looked like u still didn't have any grass yet?

u got any pics of it working for u? love looking at video's too. :flag_of_truce::lol: maybe i'm just asking for too much-right.

don't get mad-i'm just razzing u some. love reading ur post's. have a good evening.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks!

I just found this.... it is made in the USA, and appears to be similar to the pine needle rake, but with an extra row of tines..... a dethatcher.

https://www.cmpattachments.com/CMP_3_Point_Dethatcher_p/cmp-3pd.htm

I have a cheap, tow behind dethatcher already.... maybe that is the ticket. I might try it first and if it works on small twigs and such, then I could upgrade to the CMP model.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
thanks!

I just found this.... it is made in the USA, and appears to be similar to the pine needle rake, but with an extra row of tines..... a dethatcher.

I have a cheap, tow behind dethatcher already.... maybe that is the ticket. I might try it first and if it works on small twigs and such, then I could upgrade to the CMP model.
I wish they showed pics of the different sizes,,, :dunno:

Why the big price jump (almost double) from 60 to 70 inches,,,
The ~$300 seems rational,, the ~$560 is a lot of price change for a few more inches,,,

I built a single row one a few years back,,, tine spacing about 6",,
the twigs and sticks just would turn and find their way through the tines.
I still have it,, maybe another row of tines will be tried,,,

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Firemark--how did that pine needle rake work for u? the pics u showed, looked like u still didn't have any grass yet?

u got any pics of it working for u? love looking at video's too. :flag_of_truce::lol: maybe i'm just asking for too much-right.

don't get mad-i'm just razzing u some. love reading ur post's. have a good evening.:thumbup1gif:
The pics were of the back of my house my front and side have grass. I finished my 200 hour interval service yesterday. Got a mouth full of diesel doing that inline fuel filter! I'm back in service. I'm going to dethatch the front lawn and clean up where it meets the brush and will post some pics. Might fool with it today. It works great Jim and I'm glad I converted it to John Deere green and quick hitch compatible.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
thanks!

I was going to get that but figured for a few more dollars the pine rake could dethatch and do a little heavier stuff.

Reactions: rtgt and Levi

·
Super Moderator
5,186 Posts
Is there such a thing as a Category 1 'Lawn Rake' that I can use to rake my lawn grass of small debri in the spring such as fallen twigs, etc?

I have seen 'Landscape Rakes'..... but they are heavy duty and look like they are made for grading gravel drives.

Thanks for any suggestions...... I thought about hooking up a cheap-o dethatcher...... maybe that would suffice.
Do a search on "Estate Rake". There are plenty of models out there although most aren't Cat 1. They usually are just towed with a clevis pin connection.

Estate Yard Rake | Edney Dealers
Pinestraw Estate Rake 6 Wheel

They are basically just a small pinwheel rake.

Reactions: rtgt and Levi

·
Registered
223 Posts
thanks!

I just purchased this dethatcher. It works very well and I'm quite pleased with it. It will rake up small piles of pine needles.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Here is a classic video of that estate rake in action being pulled by a Deere no less.

Reactions: rwalsh96

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is the CMP dethatcher compatible with the Cat I iMatch on a 1025R? I was looking at the pine needle rake at another vendor but they state it is not currently iMatch compatible.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Is the CMP dethatcher compatible with the Cat I iMatch on a 1025R? I was looking at the pine needle rake at another vendor but they state it is not currently iMatch compatible.
It is not quick hitch compatible. I did a thread on making it Imatch compatible. Bottom clevises are too close and upper link arm hole is too high. Very happy with the EA pine needle rake. You can use it on your lawn to dethatch or rake with out tearing it up, if you don't set it too deep. I also use it where the brush meets the grass to clean up the transition. Great implement. I feel it's kind of a hybrid between a Dethatcher and a landscape rake.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Firemark, I thought your thread about iMatch conversion was using a pine needle rake from EA? Is it the same as the dethatcher from CMP?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yes it was EA PR. The second part of your post mentioned that rake. You could also make the Dethatcher fit the quick hitch too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I emailed CMP and they claim their 60" dethatcher is JD Cat I iMatch compatible. I am still not sure this is the correct tool for my intended use. I am looking for something to use in cleaning up sticks and small limbs dropped from my trees over the winter. I would also use it to do some prep/maintenance on bare spots and finally for leaf clean up in the fall. I was thinking the added flexibility of the pine rake or dethatcher tines, vs. more rigid tines of the landscape rake, would work best for these tasks. Suggestions / thoughts?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I emailed CMP and they claim their 60" dethatcher is JD Cat I iMatch compatible. I am still not sure this is the correct tool for my intended use. I am looking for something to use in cleaning up sticks and small limbs dropped from my trees over the winter. I would also use it to do some prep/maintenance on bare spots and finally for leaf clean up in the fall. I was thinking the added flexibility of the pine rake or dethatcher tines, vs. more rigid tines of the landscape rake, would work best for these tasks. Suggestions / thoughts?
I asked this question and researched it earlier in the year, I have some oaks that love shedding branches and cleaning 3.5 acres by hand is not fun. I have been told that a landscape rake has tines that are too rigid and will tear up your grass, that if you want to use it for limbs you can "try" so long as it has wheels to set spacing above the ground. The rake is more for cleaning bare dirt or gravel. However, a dethatcher may work...never heard of the pine needle rake until this thread. Whatever you decide and figure out let me know!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts