Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may looking to upgrade, I have 3 acres (mostly flat) and I'm looking to upgrade from my 318 (I'm still keeping it). I like all the MCUT's but the reality is my property doesn't warrant it. So I'm looking for a SCUT, and the 1025R seems like something I might be interested in. Keep in mind I'm a cheap cheap SOB, so I'd rather buy ONCE and live happily ever after.

Naturally I've been looking at Kubota, Kioti, and a few others. So lend me your experience, as 20/20 is always hindsight. . . .

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I went through this in July I had a 420 I have had since it was new. I looked all around and went with the 1025r. The koiti and mahindra I looked at I thought were just older technology, and the closest dealer for Mahindra was 80 miles and the Koiti dealer was a small mom and pop 110 miles away and when you walked in it was like stepping into the 40's. On the Kabota BX models I was not comfortable on. I also like the convenience of the auto connect deck and the easy park H120. The one thing I am not thrilled with is the quick hitch for the plow. I feel it's a little weak. I also thought the 54" blade was a little small because it's the same size I had on the 420 so when I ordered mine I just got the quick hitch and ordered the 60" blade from CTA. A few recommendations make sure you get a quick attach on the H120 not a pin bucket and a 53" bucket not the 49" I went with the R4 tires. Good luck :good2::good2:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Upgrade for 3 acres....no brainner, the size you are thinking about is perfect, many use them on a lot less and a lot more.
I urge you to try all brands out....lots of good ones out there at different price points, and don't forget lightly used...the hunt is 1/2 the fun....I have a green 2305 and a red 2516, love them both. See what fits you best , as you mentioned a long term purchase. At a minimum get a loader...best of luck. We are pros at spending :gizmo:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
What is the primary purpose of the tractor, mowing or tractor work? If you are going to keep the 318 for mowing then consider not getting a mower deck and use that money saved for other attachments you might use or maybe go buy a used zero turn. If all you do is mow, then consider a zero turn and use the 318 for the tractor work you might need.

While a BH is handy if you have not used one since you have been on your property, you probably won't need it and can rent one if you do in the future.

You may want to consider a 1023e and save a few $$ over the 1025r. My friend has a 1023e and really likes it. He looked at both and chose the 1023e due to the cheaper price and the fact that it met his needs. I have used it and it is a nice tractor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have gone through this looking several times and have also really looked at Kubota versus John Deere. Just take a look at the rear axles and you can see just how much more heavy duty the John Deere is. In addition, it literally only takes about 2-3 minutes to attach or detach the front end loader. Would definitely go with the quick bucket option and consider getting pallet forks if you have brush, rocks or other stuff to move.

I had an x739 with a mower deck, leaf bagger, front power shovel, rear blade and snow blower. I traded it in for a 1025R and kept the rear blade. My wife said to me why didn't I do this a long time ago. You gotta love it when you get her approval.

The front end loader is the biggest thing that I use besides the mower deck and leaf bagger. It is so nice to have on a wooded 4.5 acre lot with lots of dead trees and brush to clean up every year.

This is a tractor that you can have for years and years and will find new uses for it over time. Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I may looking to upgrade, I have 3 acres (mostly flat) and I'm looking to upgrade from my 318 (I'm still keeping it). I like all the MCUT's but the reality is my property doesn't warrant it. So I'm looking for a SCUT, and the 1025R seems like something I might be interested in. Keep in mind I'm a cheap cheap SOB, so I'd rather buy ONCE and live happily ever after.

Naturally I've been looking at Kubota, Kioti, and a few others. So lend me your experience, as 20/20 is always hindsight. . . .
I wish I could get the new 2032r or 2038r. No need to talk you out of a 1025, just into a 2032!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I started looking at a used x749 as I wanted something with a front wheel drive assist, desired to retain AWS, and it would support a loader (according to posts on MTF). Long story short, it was adding up to a lot for a used tractor by the time I outfitted it with rear PTO, 3-point, etc. I wasn't really considering new, but the $99/month advertisement caught my attention with the 0% financing.

Then the big mistake, I started reading this forum for opinions/reviews. The posters here are very high skilled professionals at helping you spend money. So, I thought I was finally done when I ordered the 1025R, H120 FEL, 54" mower, 47" snow blower, and a Cozy Cab--$25.5K.

You think I would have learned and have quit browsing this forum. Some of just can't keep our fingers out of the car door jamb. I continued reading.....and what did I do this week? I changed the order and added the backhoe. Now were up to $30K.

My bride was quick to point out that I didn't spend that much on her previous new car (she didn't mention the one she just got last spring, however). At least I'm not sleeping on the couch----yet. However, we haven't got down to the non-JD items yet: forks, grapple, thumb, weights, weight bracket. This stuff is adding up to another $5K.

So be careful of what the "home wreckers" here tell you.......

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I started looking at a used x749 as I wanted something with a front wheel drive assist, desired to retain AWS, and it would support a loader (according to posts on MTF). Long story short, it was adding up to a lot for a used tractor by the time I outfitted it with rear PTO, 3-point, etc. I wasn't really considering new, but the $99/month advertisement caught my attention with the 0% financing.

Then the big mistake, I started reading this forum for opinions/reviews. The posters here are very high skilled professionals at helping you spend money. So, I thought I was finally done when I ordered the 1025R, H120 FEL, 54" mower, 47" snow blower, and a Cozy Cab--$25.5K.

You think I would have learned and have quit browsing this forum. Some of just can't keep our fingers out of the car door jamb. I continued reading.....and what did I do this week? I changed the order and added the backhoe. Now were up to $30K.

My bride was quick to point out that I didn't spend that much on her previous new car (she didn't mention the one she just got last spring, however). At least I'm not sleeping on the couch----yet. However, we haven't got down to the non-JD items yet: forks, grapple, thumb, weights, weight bracket. This stuff is adding up to another $5K.

Hey!...we resemble those remarks.:lol:

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I wish I could get the new 2032r or 2038r. No need to talk you out of a 1025, just into a 2032!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I started looking at SCUTs (2305 I think) for my 5 acres. Then decided to look at MCUTs (a 2520) and finally bought an LCUT (3520). I do NOT regret spending the extra money for the extra tractor one bit!!

I'm sure that had I bought the 2305 I would have been perfectly happy. But I do like having the 3520 as it gives me more "options" to do things that might cause the smaller tractor to struggle.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
For your property the 1 series would be fantastic. I have had a few compact tractors and stepped up in size with each one. I am now finding there are things I do that is more difficult with the larger tractor so bigger isn't always better. I am often missing the 24 horse open station tractor I once had. When working around structures and homes most often doing some sort of lawn/landscaping project the smaller machines was perfect. Most lawn projects do not require a lot of horsepower or capacity from the tractor and the maneuverability of the subcompacts is excellent. There is a lot of work I do that the 3 series is the tractor I need for it but I underestimated how much work I was doing with the smaller tractors. With that said, the 1 and 2 series tractors I believe to be about as good as it gets for work around the home.

I don't think it matters if you have 1 acre or 10, equipment is needed if your maintaining it yourself. Equipment obviously is an investment and if your one who enjoys taking on projects around the house along with the mowing, then make the investment into something that literally can serve you for years (even decades) to come. A quality lawn tractor or zero turn can serve you for many years as well and while there are attachments that can be purchased for a lawn tractor, it too can become expensive quickly. This is where I believe it's better to just step up into a 1 series verses the X series, the money seems to be to close between the two and the 1 series is simply more bang for the buck IMO.

It doesn't matter if you end up with a JD, kubota, kioti, etc etc, I don't see many people regretting the purchase of a tractor assuming they get the things that makes a tractor...... a tractor! I can see some folks trying to save a buck or two or believing they don't need something such as a front end loader (for example) being a major factor in making someone regret their purchase. A tractor can only do so much by itself. 3 acres of land is a good chunk of dirt and is more than enough I believe to justify a tractor with loader and a few implements suited for the work needing done and for the projects/hobbies that make having a tractor just flat out fun.

There are many manufacturers producing excellent machines but I believe John Deere has nailed it for developing the perfect homeowners tractor with the 1 and 2 series. it's more than specifications and price points when it comes to purchasing a tractor that you intend to keep for years to come, well for me it is anyways. I never want to go back to pulling pins just to take the loader off a tractor. Even though I don't have a mid mount mower on my current tractor, I have owned machines that required me having to crawl around on the ground to hook up the linkage and pto, not to mention the tugging and pulling of the deck, Deere has more than simplified this process. I have noticed at the farm show many tractors now have twin touch peddles for the transmission so I can't push that as a bonus, but any machine with twin peddles is far better than the Kubota IMO for this ease of use feature.

I think I or anyone on this forum could type pages of information to explain why you should purchase a tractor, I may be totally wrong but I feel few will try to talk you out of it. I really believe for just about anything you would like to do on your property the 1 series will be all the tractor you would need. If the money was extremely close then I most likely would step up to a 2 series just to do so. I wouldn't pay much more for it though, the 1 series is really that good/capable of a tractor in my opinion.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The word "cheap" and John Deere do not go in the same sentence. If you buy non green such as Kubota, Kioti, and a few others, you may pay less. Also expect less. But buying a John Deere may be a bit more. The JD tractor will be a pleasure to use and you will soon forget what you payed for it. Buying Kubota, Kioti, and a few others and you will NEVER FORGET WHAT YOU PAID for it.

My friend who is a farmer says why would you buy anything other than a John Deere. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The word "cheap" and John Deere do not go in the same sentence. If you buy non green such as Kubota, Kioti, and a few others, you may pay less. Also expect less. But buying a John Deere may be a bit more. The JD tractor will be a pleasure to use and you will soon forget what you payed for it. Buying Kubota, Kioti, and a few others and you will NEVER FORGET WHAT YOU PAID for it.

My friend who is a farmer says why would you buy anything other than a John Deere. Makes sense to me.
There's is a lot of truth in your statement and there is some things I disagree with to a small point. I do feel JD has nailed ergonomics with their tractors. I sat on every compact tractor that was at the national farm machinery show over the past couple days and I fully admit I am beyond spoiled now that I have owned a JD. I am a disappointed in JD now that I visited the other manufacturers booths and was able to talk with their reps all in one location and compare tractors almost side by side. It flat out sucks that other manufacturers are offering some things as standard equipment with MSRP lower than JD. It double sucks that if you want those items you pay an extreme premium to get them through JD. You are right, "cheap" and JD do not go in the same sentence! Massey Ferguson, kioti, kubota, case ih/new holland, yanmar, LS, Mahindra, and TYM tractors was the ones we really checked out closely and compared to JD. To see some of the things they list as "standard" truthfully got my blood pressure up towards JD! As we continued to look them over, sat in the seats, and got the spill from their reps, IMHO few compared to JD! I saw poor fit and finish with several manufacturers, a couple of brands don't even know what the word "ergonomics" mean, and from a visual point of view, some looked flat out cheap and weak to go along with their lower MSRP. I will say this, a couple of the Massey Ferguson's sure looked like they were onto something good, but wasn't quiet there yet in my opinion.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd go with whom ever can provide the best service after the sale no matter what brand you end up getting

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Age has a lot to do with selecting a tractor.What I'm getting at is your getting older not younger so what price do you put on crawling around the ground to take a deck on and off,compared to the auto connect.What price do you put on getting on and off a few times to take the loader on and off,compared to 2 levers and getting off once to remove the hydro lines or the ease of the bucket change.Remember this when looking at the different tractors,"You only pay for them once,but you'll remove that deck,loader,tiller,blower and what ever else you get a lot more".

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts

:mocking::mocking: I bet GTT has a disclaimer somewhere warning members of this forums ability to empty wallets !!!:gizmo:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 1025r is going on 2yrs old . I really wanted /planned on something bigger , but I have 3 gates that limited me to the 1025r . (all 3 have very large posts set in concrete and attatched to solid 6 ft fence , not an easy change) . So far I have never been limited by the size or power of the 1025r even though most of the time it is used in areas where even a very large tractor could access . The small size has grown on me . The extra time time I spend with 48" implements , bucket , and blade would theoretically be 20% less with 60" items , but my acreage is small enough that the difference is negligible .
If I was to do it again , the only thing I would change would be to buy all the implements , trailer , and numerous other items in a package with the tractor , just to get the zero % interest on everything , not just the 1025r .

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If for no other reason, the 1-family tractors are an excellent choice because they are so damn popular. This may seem trivial, but if buy a very popular model you are virtually guaranteed all of the upgrades, parts, and support you could ever need.

This is why there are so many 316/318 tractors still in everyday use (like my 316) after 30+ years...BECAUSE THEY SOLD A TON OF THEM!

There were a few times I've considered I might have liked the taller tires and slightly larger size of a 2-family, by I have yet to find my 1025 lacking.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A lot of the tractors mentioned are good products. When I bought the 1025r, I looked at a lot of brands. The final 4 were the Kubota BX series, the 1025r, the Massey Ferguson, and an LS. Deere and LS were the final two. The LS was bigger than I needed, but got consideration because it seemed to be more tractor for the same dollars.

As others have mentioned, and for me, it gets down to:

1) Dealer. The Deere dealer is local, the other dealers are 30-35 miles away.
2) Features. For me, the quick attach loader is a very big deal. So is the position control 3-point, something you don't find on all tractors of this size. Now, the LS had an advantage in that it had a three-range transmission instead of the two that the Deere has. Give and take, I guess. And at the time, Deere had zero % financing...the LS dealer did not offer financing.
3) Personal preferences. This can be little things...I like the two separate pedals (forward and reverse) on the Deere. The others had a rocker pedal, which would have driven me nuts. (But I know others like the rocker pedals, so...personal preference).

It is often the little things that make a big difference in owning and operating a tractor...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Talk you out of it? Not a chance. Love my 1025R FILB. Only thing I can say is buy everything you want and need or think you may need all at once and get it on the 0% financing. That was my only downfall. My salesman wanted to sell to the machine but not attachments. Had it to do over, would have asked for a other salesman....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts