Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 81? JD 1050 with 1040 hrs. on the clock and a 72" Rhino finish mower. This is my first tractor and know very little about them. Before changing all the fluids I wanted to make sure everything was working properly so I hooked up the mower and took it for a spin.

Problem!

With the clutch in, I can't engage the pto, it just grinds gears. So I turn it off, engage the pto, then fire it up. The pto is "working" but pops out of gear, sometimes immediately, sometimes after a couple minutes.

Is this a bad clutch or a linkage adjustment issue? Are there any common problems these 1050s have I need to look out for?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
welcome from IN!!!!

i would ask Tx jim about this. he would probably know. but, i think it could be a linkage adjustment issue. do you have a service manual? if not, you should get one from a dealer.:good2:

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Nice looking 1050 you have there. Unfortunately it sounds like you have 2 separate problems. First, if your pto grinds when trying to engage, the clutch is not releasing. If you have too much clutch pedal free travel, that could be the problem. You want free travel to be an inch at most. You can reduce the free travel to as little as 1/4" to try and get the pto to release. When pushing in the clutch, you should be able to feel the pedal push very easy for the free travel portion, then push harder for 1/2 way down and then get noticeably stiffer for the last 1/2 way down. That last half is when the pto clutch disengages. If you cant feel that second stage, then the clutch is worn beyond adjustment and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. The second problem is the jumping out of gear. I am afraid the previous owner may have been grinding the pto in too often with the bad clutch and has worn the engaging teeth on the shift collar or gear. Probably needs to be opened up and replace worn parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too acquired a new to me 1988 1050 last year with the grinding when engaging the PTO issue. Had a new aftermarket clutch package put in this spring. When the mechanic installed it there was an issue with it not being "pre-set" and he had to re-split the tractor to set it. Clutch pedal feels a lot stiffer than previous clutch so flet good about even though there was still the occasional gear shift grinds, and assumed it's classic JD square tooth gears (grew up on 1956 420 so I kinda expect it)

I tried to use the brush-hog last weekend for the first time since teh clutch replacement and it seems to be "slipping" and actually comes to almost a stop under load of heavier grass. I've tried running the clutch adjustment to both extremes and while can make it have less power, I can't get it to have full strength.

So far this has baffled the mechanic so widening the circle of knowledge.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,456 Posts
Welcome to GTT
Are you positive brush hog pto shaft turns at correct RPM's IE cutter shear pin or slip clutch is transferring the power??? If clutch pedal has 1'' free travel & pto clutch disk doesn't hold to transfer power to pto shaft then either pressure plate fingers aren't adjusted correctly or pto clutch is worn too thin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.