Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found a 1973 140 H3 today

Guy wants $700 ish

Has 2 tillers ..1 good with new chain and 1 for parts.

Mower deck that is Solid with newer looking blades and possibly spindles or else it was just never used much at all. It is the BELT driven one!

Theres a front blade but I don't think its for it.
Has new starter.
Seems like there is something else...besides cobwebs. Turns over ,was out of gas.
They used till He bought His 1023R last year.

ohh yea..Calcium filled rears ( in tubes)

About a turn of slop in the steering.

Looking to get this for my nephew as a stepping stone to something bigger.

The more I read about these the more I like them.

Am I an Idiot to even consider this or is it a decent solution to replace a junk craftsman Rider??

Give me your thoughts good or bad...I want a nice mix people!

Thanks ..Dan in Oregon

:munch:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Prices are location dependent but sounds good as long as engine and hydro are ok which of course you don’t know. Sold a 73 140 H3 with just deck for $750 a couple of years ago here in Massachusetts. But it was fully functional. Tillers if good are worth a few dollars so probably a good deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,290 Posts
Prices are location dependent but sounds good as long as engine and hydro are ok which of course you don’t know. Sold a 73 140 H3 with just deck for $750 a couple of years ago here in Massachusetts. But it was fully functional. Tillers if good are worth a few dollars so probably a good deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed. :good2:

I would take a jumper pack and gas and see if it moves and runs.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He has a jumper pack...It nearly started but the tank only had a few drops of decent smelling gas.

He is having a G sale and I didn't want to get the deal done today as it would have been moved out front.

Got invited to the shop & gun room so things were progressing nicely to get a grip on any BS story's.

Did buy a gas powered Hydro pump for 40 bucks that runs sweet.

He also has a pair of 1972 Economy Powercraft tractors or something.
Unique units with Hydraulics and implements.
1 runs..1 for parts...goofy as the day is long but It is a tractor.
Looks like something from a 3rd world Country but has a cool factor and Dana Rear axel with some sort of gear reduction.

The JD looks like the winner in all His mess...But He did have a Huge Farmall Tricycle..had to be 50 hp.

Runner for 800...Has no business on my place as there is No flat ground here.

Keep the replys coming..I got to go see this fellow in the AM if its a GO.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
With the tiller easily worth the money. Having the tiller does it have the rear PTO? If it turns over and doesn't start likely the carb is gummed up from bad gas. That's easy to cure. I'd rather it didn't start in front of the owner, it makes it worth less.

Pretty common for the steering to have a bad drag link. It could be the steering gear box is bad or needs to be rebuilt. Neither is all that expensive or difficult to repair. My oldest boy bought a 140 when he was 12 and restored it over a few years. Nice simple tractor to learn on.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I paid $700 for a tiller about 6 years ago and a deck in decent shape is $400-$500 easily! So you get an H3 140 for free! Steering is easy & not expensive, as MDrew stated. Sounds like a great deal to me. Bob

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
If I wanted one to keep and use that doesn’t sound to bad. If they turn over I have always been able to revive them, even one uncovered in a damp pine grove for 15 years. The seat fell off during the test drive, I landed on my back still holding an auxiliary gas tank.

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
He also has a pair of 1972 Economy Powercraft tractors or something.
Unique units with Hydraulics and implements.
1 runs..1 for parts...goofy as the day is long but It is a tractor.
Looks like something from a 3rd world Country but has a cool factor and Dana Rear axel with some sort of gear reduction.
I'm assuming those are Economy Power King tractors. They are awesome little machines and have a big cult following.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm assuming those are Economy Power King tractors. They are awesome little machines and have a big cult following.
Yes... thats what they are .

There both Blue and all the ones I find online are red/orange?

Paint looks original as they still have the factory decals.

Has plow ,disc ,cultivater and back blade...interesting machines.

Both are 16" wheels on rear..one has a beefier frame and larger rear pumpkin.

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
Yes... thats what they are .

There both Blue and all the ones I find online are red/orange?

Paint looks original as they still have the factory decals.

Has plow ,disc ,cultivater and back blade...interesting machines.

Both are 16" wheels on rear..one has a beefier frame and larger rear pumpkin.
Yeah. My understanding is that they did a couple of different paint colors over the years. Red, Orange, Green and Blue. Apparently the founder of the company was always worried about the "economy" aspect of things so paint was ordered based on what was available for short $$. If you read some on the sites for guys that play with these things, even the orange paint (the most common color) isn't a consistent shade from year to year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, I would love to find a good set up and deal like that nearer to me. The 140’s don’t seem very common at all near Santa Cruz, California...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An Update......

While the deck looked good....Had new blades ,new spindle housings and paint. It had some extensive repair work done and the main drive pully is bent.

Tiller....Had been "rebuilt" to what degree is an unknown. Mostly sound but has a few issues that can be fixed using the doner tiller. Not much left of said doner but the gear box ,tines and a bracket or 2...they had run the bearings completely out of the tine shaft so it and related married parts are toast

The 140... Missing 4 of the 6 hydraulic outlets. Hydro valve was broken off its mount and basicly hanging from the lines and the 3 handles...Fixable but a pita location.
Steering box is toasted. Shaft out the side is flopping all over and the column is loose where connected to the box.
Again fixable but a pita. Would have to come out anyway to fix the Hydo Valve.

Motor started right up and sounds fine. Goes Forward fine but barely moves in Reverse..Hmmm.
Some water in Hydro oil but it goes F it should go in R.

I passed. Told Him if He could sort out the cause of the slow reverse perhaps we could deal but too much of a project AS IS.

I guess they paid 2200 a few years ago and He didn't want to budge off the 700 price

I'll keep looking.

Did find a nice looking 455 for 5500....a bit steep.

I'd rather cosign a loan for my Nephew and see Him get a New JD 1 or 2 series and avoid these "project" units.

Tractors are scarce up here in the used market.

8 or 9 "n's" and a butload of imported goofy yanmars and Mitsu*****i's...Not scared of yanmar engines but these tractors probly were all Tsunami victims...Low hour ..look good but Can I even get parts for these things??

I'll add a pic of one..There are a Half Dozen or more Mom&Pop type outlets selling these things.

Can get one for about 6500 but then what?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts