Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ended up buying a john deere 1800 that has been sitting for about 7 years. It came with a fertilizer bed with a busted up tank but i removed it and intend to build a custom tilt bed and a cantilever sun shade.

my first problem is that i cant seem to crank the motor. i think that im not finishing all the ignition lockouts when i crank the motor the fuel pump turns on but it doesnt even try to crank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a Kawasaki 18 hp liquid cooled and no its not free by hand..thats the next problem i dont know if i cant get enough leverage to move it or if its frozen..if its frozen ill pull heads and take a look at it

·
Registered
927 Posts
Sounds bad! One of my buddies had water in the cylinder heads of his 2010 CL - w/ the same result. Decompress the c-head to find out if the engine is free - or the crankshaft is demolated or... What Kawa-Type is used in the 1800 UTV, maybe I've a manual (sadly can't find any docs about the 1800 UTV. I think, it wasn't sold in Germany))

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Here is a recent offer of a manual on CD for $12... May not ship just anywhere without added postage. I am in no way connected to this seller - just found it on-line.
John Deere 1800 Utility Vehicle UTV Service Repair Technical Manual CD

Somewhere I may also have some manuals that were part of a Deere dealer turf machine package of CD's but they are likely stored since my recent move and a state away from where I am presently. Sorry I am not of more help...

Chuck

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
basselete,

These little turf machines are quite the handy configuration and worth bringing back from the near dead. Never had a ProGator or one of these 1800's -- but I did resurrect a Toro Workman 3200 with the 3 cylinder Mitsubishi engine and the 2000 pound lift bed. Here are some pictures...

front quarter view.jpg bed raised.jpg engine under bed.jpg

These rigs had a pretty compact front suspension, independent rear suspension and hydraulic brakes all around...
toro front suspension driver side.jpg Toro 3200 cut away view.JPG

Chuck

·
Registered
927 Posts
Here is a recent offer of a manual on CD for $12... May not ship just anywhere without added postage. I am in no way connected to this seller - just found it on-line.
John Deere 1800 Utility Vehicle UTV Service Repair Technical Manual CD

Somewhere I may also have some manuals that were part of a Deere dealer turf machine package of CD's but they are likely stored since my recent move and a state away from where I am presently. Sorry I am not of more help...

Chuck
12 Thaler - that's cheap! :gizmo:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks like fun. Did it have an intact air cleaner assy or was it like the photo?

The first thing to try to figure out is if it has water in it? Is there oil on the dipstick? If so, drain the oil and look to see what comes out first. Water will come out first so I would hold the plug in and let the first bit go into a clear jar.

Once this is done pull the plugs and see which cyl is where to figure out if one of them was exposed to the elements. (open valve). It most likely will be this cyl that is frozen. Fill the cyl with diesel or atf or PB Blaster. Let it sit for a while.

Take the belts off too and then we if you have a way to attach a breaker bar to the flywheel. Don't try the crank at the pully unless you can't do the flywheel.

I would try this before you pull the head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i got it to crank and it started on starter fluid but the carb is bad and it wont idle so now im trying to find a carb thats not $400

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
Rebuilt 1800 Utility Vehicle

Last winter, since this winter is still going I went through Dads 1800 and added a dump bed frame, brush guard off my old ford, bumpers and what seems like a bunch of other things. I used the valves off of a 318 and fabbed up a mount under the dash. Then he built the box and the back guard last spring. I never took any photos but had it back up this week and figured it was a good time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
So yesterday my brother was pulling the 1800 into Dads shed and somehow hit a bump and floored it in low. Ran into the side of a 6 wheeled forage box and moved it side ways. It pushed one side of the Rhino brush guard with in 1/2” of the fiberglass from since it hit about 6” from the top. Glad I put that on, the only reason I did is behind that fiberglass is just thin tubing and with your hands on the wheel there was only a few inches between your hands and any immovable object. Could have been worse, now just simple bending back.:good2:

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
What I find odd is my brother and father tearing up things I did. I don’t remember doing any of that to them growing up.:dunno:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts