Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, again I'm looking for the collective wisdom of the forum. I may knew to the JD world but not restoring tractors. I have an opportunity to buy a 210 for a song, year is unknown and not running. Looks like it has a 46 inch deck but what is this worth restored, meaning new bearing in deck, new belts, painted and restored to original condition ?

·
Super Moderator
2,825 Posts
If you're looking to make a buck on restoring it and then flipping it, there is no "good" model to do that with. You will always put more money into it than what's it worth when you go to sell it. That's with about any L&G tractors, including the '63 110. Is the 210 a good model, period? Yes. They were the last of the truly durable, solid gear drive tractors JD made. They were made from 1975 to 1987, 1987 being the last year of production. Are they as collectible as a round fender 110 or a 140H3, probably not. But they're great machines.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Terry pretty much nailed it. The only way I've made any money is having a part supply on hand and not worrying about cosmetics to much. as soon as you start sanding and painting, or buying a bunch of ebay parts you end up under water.

that said a 210 is great for lawn and plow duties for yourself, and can be worth it to restore and keep

·
Registered
571 Posts
agree as well a 200 series in good condition is worth 500$ or less in my opinion depending on level of retoration less then a grand if that..but if your a collector and always wanted a perfect 210 then the sky;s the limit:gizmo::bigthumb::greentractorride:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Redoing John Deere tractors is a project which my son and I like doing. Just like a friend of mine who does this with boats, and although he has others do the work, hence he looses money, it more of a hobby and a labor of love. I've had folks around where I live state that when my son mows their yard with the 110 that I'm getting mechanically correct at the moment, stated, "that is a real tractor and they don't make them like this anymore". To me this meant that he saw the value in using an old tractor and impressed in the engineering versus that box store tractor of today. I'm not really worried about making money, but to teach my son some skills, have some fun at doing it.
Also, thanks for the confirmation that the 200 series is bullet proof.

·
Registered
571 Posts
if you want the real super garden tractors to restore would be the 1980's 318-430's series and attachments. :greentractorride:

330,332.430's being deisel models:bigthumb: oh and buy all the rear pto assembly's and original jd 3-point cat 0 hitch's u can find
:gizmo::gizmo:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
20,064 Posts
I'm not really worried about making money, but to teach my son some skills, have some fun at doing it.
Sounds like a good plan.
I'm sure your son will love working with you on this project; and it'll be something he will remember and cherish all his life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.