Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:
I am new to your group. Ineed HELP with my 216 Garden Tractor Varator Belt.
I am trying to in stall a new belt and adjust Varator. I lost my manuals in a garage and house fire, so have no referance or instructions. Help!
have been using my sons JD 210. However he donated it to the church, as he moved into a house wit very little lawn. My Grass is still growing!!My 200 ft drive will need blowing this winter. PLESSE HELP any and every bit of info will be apperated.

telephone man
USAF retired
Upper Peninsula Michigan
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Please correct me if this is incorrect, as I can remember doing this on a 214 that my neighbor had. I think they are the same.

You need to put the rear belt on first, then the front. I had to loosen the rear drive pulley to get them on. To adjust the belts, remove the metal plug below the variator lever to access the adjustment bolt. Back it off a turn or two. Put you variator lever in the 2nd slot from the bottom and unhook the spark plug. Crank the engine as you tighten the bolt on the drive sheave. The clutch pedal raise up. Once the clutch pedal is in the proper position it is adjusted correctly. I think there were 5 positions but only 3 were really usable and the other 2 were for belts streaching.... Its been a while.

Where are you in the UP? I went to school in Marquette . I love that place although it has changed a lot in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JD 216 variator

Please correct me if this is incorrect, as I can remember doing this on a 214 that my neighbor had. I think they are the same.

You need to put the rear belt on first, then the front. I had to loosen the rear drive pulley to get them on. To adjust the belts, remove the metal plug below the variator lever to access the adjustment bolt. Back it off a turn or two. Put you variator lever in the 2nd slot from the bottom and unhook the spark plug. Crank the engine as you tighten the bolt on the drive sheave. The clutch pedal raise up. Once the clutch pedal is in the proper position it is adjusted correctly. I think there were 5 positions but only 3 were really usable and the other 2 were for belts streaching.... Its been a while.

Where are you in the UP? I went to school in Marquette . I love that place although it has changed a lot in the last 10 years.
Brian
I take it you have to remove the variator assembly to install or remove the belt? Is this right?
Les

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Yes, to change belt you do. When you start the variator must be all the way forward with the engine running. When you turn the engine off, you need to move the lever backward. Just loosen the bolt holding the belt retainer for the crank belt. DO NOT REMOVE IT! Now you can remove the variator & differential belt. There should now be enough slack to pull the belt out and replace it. After installing the new belt, tighten the retaining bracket bolt.

Be sure to put things back exactly how it came off. I know some of the pulleys have lips on them and if installed the wrong way can bind stuff up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts