Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would like to ask the question, does the front drive shaft on a JD 2305 tractor, have zerk fittings on the two spiders?
Mowing deck is still on, for one more mowing before the change over.
This aging body of mine, likes to keep the number of times of laying horizontal under the tractor to a minimum. :laugh:
Thanks
I did look at JD parts online and the pictorial did not show any zerk fittings.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes. It's a pain to get at. Do a search and you will find lots of info (and complaining) about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have looked for them and have not found any on the front drive shaft. The drive shaft from the engine to the transmission does have fittings for lubrication make sure you do lubricate them. If you do find them on the front drive shaft can you post a picture to show me?

Thanks
Doug

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
As vt2305 said they are there and a the front one is a royal pain to grease......I am never really sure I have gotten grease in it...plenty on me but.....:banghead:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
123 Posts
I haven't looked recently at mine but memory says the fitting is a flush style that some use a needle style to fill. I know it was super easy to do when I had it out doing the trans fan replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
so this inspired me to try again before snow season....
set up tractor...safety note....ramps used to support tractor, not just the bucket, that is the secondary support.....
JD lifted.jpeg

used this grease gun, though not required, just easier for me

grease gun.jpeg

and this tip, first I used a needle nose pliers to make sure ball in zrek would move, pushed tip up against zerk hard and hit trigger, actually saw grease come out of joint..used this on front zerk, used a regular grease fitting that i ground down as far as possible to get to fit in and on the rear zerk..:bigthumb: recommend safety glasses, a lot of stuff falls in face from under tractor.

grease tip.jpeg

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did remove the rubber boot surrounding the front axle spider. I could not locate a zerk fitting on the front spider or the rear spider of the front axle drive shaft.

Yes, I know the pictures are upside down. I could not correct it. Sorry.
Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Not sure about your tractor, but on mine, it’s actually down in the joint.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
OK I just went and looked..where you are looking you are correct..there are 2 shafts on tractor
1. from engine to transaxle that has 2 zerks
2. from transaxle to front axle (for 4x4) that one does not have zerks.....

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fdmars
Good tip on making sure the ball of the zerk fitting is moveable, first.
Thanks for the confirmation on the lack of zerk fittings on the front drive shaft spiders.

Yank
I was not able to take the best picture of the spider that was shown. You are correct, if the spiders on the front drive shaft had zerk fittings, they would have been in the center of the spider.

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am just sorta mechanically minded. I've got a leak right at the front axle boot. I dont know if it's engine oil, hydraulic fluid, or axle oil. Is the rubber boot hard to remove?
Thanks so much,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts