Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy neighbors,

I was using a rear angle blade yesterday while in 4 wheel drive and noticed I was not getting the push I’m used to without spinning and stopping.

I put it in 2 wheel to check something out and realized by rear wheels had almost no power!

I could not even climb my driveway with blade attached up the hill in only two wheel drive.

My local dealer has no one in service due to labor shortage at this time and winter is just around the corner! Any tips or tricks I can look into myself?

help…

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Did you check they hydraulic fluid level?

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,776 Posts
When was the last hydro fluid/filter change?

·
Administrator
22,406 Posts
If it had NO power I'd assume the often neglected drive shaft u-joints failed.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Are the wheels spinning in the Tire?
Are rear tires filled with fluid?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Put a mark on wheel & tire......drive it....see if marks moved.

If there are tubes in tires.......this is not the problem. Valve stem woulda ripped out by now.

Hopefully its not the ring bolts that came out like @iamrfixit 's tractor.
If so....theres a great thread on fixing that whole problem.

·
Administrator
22,406 Posts
I bet Duke is right on...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Put a mark on wheel & tire......drive it....see if marks moved.

If there are tubes in tires.......this is not the problem. Valve stem woulda ripped out by now.

Hopefully its not the ring bolts that came out like @iamrfixit 's tractor.
If so....theres a great thread on fixing that whole problem.
@theduke I am new here and to tractors as of about a month ago? I am fairly mechanical in general though. Is the rim slipping a common problem with filled tires? Something I would have never guessed. We had a bugger of a time getting my new tires to seat on the rim. I couldn't image it would slip.
Thanks in advance
Steve

·
Super Moderator
6,821 Posts
@theduke I am new here and to tractors as of about a month ago? I am fairly mechanical in general though. Is the rim slipping a common problem with filled tires? Something I would have never guessed. We had a bugger of a time getting my new tires to seat on the rim. I couldn't image it would slip.
Thanks in advance
Steve
I wouldn't call it a common problem but it happens often enough that folks that have been around for a bit are familiar with it. We've had 2 or 3 of cases mentioned right here in the forums in the last 6 months or so. And it's really easy to check and free to fix. It usually happens if air pressure in the tires is to low. Then the liquid fill in the tires acts as a lubricant and ...

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Yep....What ^^^ He said.

New slick paint on wheels...low air...... Simple to check.

You don't want it to be the alternative problem......I'd do a quick check by marking wheel/tire.

Are you hearing any strange noises..???.....If so don't drive it far or at all.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Happened to me with my bigger tractor…..would have never guessed… then someone on GTT showed me the light😳

·
Administrator
22,406 Posts
Seems when this happens the tires are always filled with Rimgard, I think that's slippery stuff I guess.

Reactions: trav

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wouldn't call it a common problem but it happens often enough that folks that have been around for a bit are familiar with it. We've had 2 or 3 of cases mentioned right here in the forums in the last 6 months or so. And it's really easy to check and free to fix. It usually happens if air pressure in the tires is to low. Then the liquid fill in the tires acts as a lubricant and ...
Thanks Jim! If I ever have an issue I will check that first! Very easy free fix. Love getting so much info from you seasoned guys on here.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Whats the Verdict on this puzzle..??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

After reading this post I'm hoping a slipping rim is also my only issue. Going to give it a closer look tomorrow when there's some daylight.

Recently completed the 200hr service earlier than scheduled since she was feeling sluggish, which I think has generally helped. However, I was experiencing low power transfer in the rear axle before the fluid swap. When in 2 wheel drive, the axle doesn't seem to catch in the transmission, thus slipping, just as the original posting described (no power to go up hill).

But after today while pushing snow I noticed the inside rim on one tire is leaking juice, I'm hoping to get lucky with a quick fix, even though it seems suspicious that I don't hear/see the rim spinning viciously when I'm pedal down going nowhere.

I'd also love to hear if there was any resolution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE: the stems had gone bad from the RimGuard, so I had them drained and new stems put in without the juice. That stuff was starting to be more trouble than it was worth.
But the rear drive is still slipping so I’m right back where I started. Needing insight into what’s the problem and solution.

thoughts?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts