Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings!

I have a 2006 2520 with the Yanmar diesel. (Serial# LV2520H 208407) The other day I fired the old girl up, moved it ahead about 2 feet (just far enough for a rear wheel to pinch a hose) and the thing just quit.

It appears to be a fuel shutoff issue near as I can tell. The fuel shutoff solenoid (119653-77950) pigtail (3 wire) white plastic connector is pretty brittle. The wiring doesn't look all that rough, but it doesn't appear to be engaging the solenoid for whatever reason. (The interlocks seem to be working... It cranks just fine, just won't run, even for a second)

I understand there is a Time Delay Control Module associated with this contraption that may have a problem.

My questions -

1> Does anyone have a wiring schematic for this thing?
2> Where is the TDCM located? (I haven't taken anything apart yet)
3> Is there a test procedure to identify which component may be bad?

Bonus question:

4> The water pump works, doesn't leak, but has a VERY loose bearing which at times sounds like it's gonna eat itself alive. The water pump from JD is 400+ dollars. (Yikes!) Has anyone been able to rebuild one of these things, or is there an aftermarket replacement that would work?

Thanks a bunch! I have done some searching, and haven't found specifically what I'm looking for in terms of information. If this is covered somewhere, a link to the proper thread would be great! There is a LOT of stuff here, and I haven't quite mastered the "Search" function yet!

Kind regards,
Pete (aka Rugerhound)

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
my 2006 2520 blew the diode a few yrs ago, it did the same thing as urs is doing-ok. diode is in wiring harness tucked into behind the fuel pump ur talking of.

also replaced my water pump too. at that time it was around $300, a throw away i called it. jd told me not able to rebuild it.:dunno:

if u find a way to rebuild it-post ur findings-i still think my old one is in the garage somewhere:dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
The technical manual will have the schematics plus troubleshooting guides and theory of operations. But....they recently went up in price to the tune of 600% for some reason. A few months ago the CD version was around $75 - now they are $450....

3581A568-2320-4A4E-9937-B82A45F8E3B3.png

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Try just pulling the solenoid and see if it runs. Might as well knock out the basics with the process of elimination.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try just pulling the solenoid and see if it runs. Might as well knock out the basics with the process of elimination.
Gettin' that sucker out isn't gonna be real easy. I'll have to remove the fuel filter assembly to be able to get at the bolts.

What I did was electrically energized the solenoid directly from the battery with a couple jumper wires. It picks up and seems to want to hold, but still no start. I'm assuming the 3 wire solenoid has a "Pick Up" coil and a "Hold In" coil. When I energize the "Hold" coil and temporarily jump power to the "Pick Up" coil, it snaps and stays held in until I drop the "Hold" coil. But it does not pick up with the key switch, and does not start even with the coil pulled in with direct battery power.

Regards, Pete

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Time to start testing wires and tracing back to the relays.

Reactions: Rugerhound

·
Registered
23,595 Posts
my 2006 2520 blew the diode a few yrs ago, it did the same thing as urs is doing-ok. diode is in wiring harness tucked into behind the fuel pump ur talking of.

also replaced my water pump too. at that time it was around $300, a throw away i called it. jd told me not able to rebuild it.:dunno:

if u find a way to rebuild it-post ur findings-i still think my old one is in the garage somewhere:dunno::dunno:
If you have the means, I would be starting to check those diodes if you believe your fuel solenoid is working properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have the means, I would be starting to check those diodes if you believe your fuel solenoid is working properly.
Yeah... That's what I'm after now. IF I can find 'em! This thing is really cramped for space, and everything I wanna look at is behind something else that I don't wanna look at!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes... I have the means. I just don't have access! lol The tractor is out in the desert where it died, so trapsing back and forth is problematic. On top of everything else, it's decided that now is a good time for rain. Being a desert dweller, we NEVER thumb our noses at rain!

Curiously - I did do some work with a meter... I've got 5.5 VDC to the "Pick Up" side of the solenoid, and 10.2 VDC at the "Hold" side. When I put the thing in gear, the voltages change, but do NOT drop out. Further, I have 11 volts to one side of the seat switch, and 9 volts on the other side.

Diode for sure!! I got voltages going all over the place. I'll see if I can get a hand in behind that fuel pump and find a diode. The schematic looks like the V2 diode could produce these kinds of weird voltages.

Does anyone happen to have the part number for the V2 diode? It's the dual element, 3 prong assembly. Looks like (from online searches) that it could be LVU804171, which is a 3 contact 1.5 amp assembly.

Thanks!

Regards, Pete

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
Yes... I have the means. I just don't have access! lol The tractor is out in the desert where it died, so trapsing back and forth is problematic. On top of everything else, it's decided that now is a good time for rain. Being a desert dweller, we NEVER thumb our noses at rain!

Curiously - I did do some work with a meter... I've got 5.5 VDC to the "Pick Up" side of the solenoid, and 10.2 VDC at the "Hold" side. When I put the thing in gear, the voltages change, but do NOT drop out. Further, I have 11 volts to one side of the seat switch, and 9 volts on the other side.

Diode for sure!! I got voltages going all over the place. I'll see if I can get a hand in behind that fuel pump and find a diode. The schematic looks like the V2 diode could produce these kinds of weird voltages.

Does anyone happen to have the part number for the V2 diode? It's the dual element, 3 prong assembly. Looks like (from online searches) that it could be LVU804171, which is a 3 contact 1.5 amp assembly.

Thanks!

Regards, Pete
ALL i can tell ya is what the mechanic told me at the time i picked it up. he said the diodes are left outside of the harness, so when u get the harness undone, from its hold downs, u can then see the diode. then u can pull it out to look at it-and test it.

worst part IMO-would be taking the harness loose, that mechanic reached into pretty far to show me, where the diode was, and what it looked like. then he pushed the harness back in towards the cowl. way out of site.:munch:

·
Registered
23,595 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I too have the same tractor (2006 2520) and had intermittent starting problems. Maybe this post will help you solve this problem as it did for me.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/medium-frame-compact-utility-tractors-mcut/177062-hello-2520-starting-problems-4.html#post3122290
Thanks! That's very helpful! I believe it's NOT the diode now since I've proven the solenoid is functional. I've got the fuel pump out now and on the bench. It's dead as a doornail! It has power with the key switch, although the voltages are screwy. (May be unstable ground) The tractor is out in the desert muck (It's been raining) so I just removed the pump and brought it home. But while I have the thing apart, I WILL go dig for that diode just in case!

Best regards, Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts