Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I bought an early model JD 2640 for mowing. When I got it home and put an implement on the 3 point, the arms would not lift the load. They do go up without a load on them. The place I bought it from said to bring it back because the pump was most likely bad, and I took it back.

I sort of fell in love with the tractor. Lot's of power and the transmission had lots of speeds (hi-lo). Power steering was awesome and generally just a nice tractor. It is the 2640 with the lower, wide rear tires like a utility tractor.

Everything seemed to just work really well on the tractor.

Before I took it back, I checked the suction screen and changed the hyd filter, with no change in the lift.

I've been reading that the hi-lo might be stealing flow from the 3 point via an internal leak, and some other internal disasters that I do not want to assume. Is this a fatal issue with this tractor or a repairable issue with my limited mechanical experience?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Welcome to GTT
Many hyd pumps especially closed center hyd pumps have been replaced to find out the replaced pump wasn't at FAULT. I'll give odds on a bet the hyd pump isn't bad. Is dealer that tractor came from a JD dealer? Hyd stand-by pressure needs to be checked on the 2640 which should be 2250 psi. 3 pt not raising with load could be as simple as worn/leaking rockshaft piston seal or load/depth mechanism out of adjustment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Questions for Tx Jim

Tx Jim,

They are not a JD dealer.

A few questions;

How would I check the Hyd stand pressure?

How involved is the rockshaft seal replacement? I've done this on a 861 ford and an oliver 550. I'm guessing the 2640 would be more involved.

How do I check the Load/depth mechanism?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
It would surprise me if a dealer other than JD had a technician that knew the correct procedure to diagnose a problem with the JD closed center hyd system. One can plug a 5000# gauge into the rear hyd breakaway couplet then move control lever the correct direction to pressurize the gauge. IMHO the rockshaft housing on a JD open station tractor such as a 2640 is easy to R&R so as to renew seals. 1st thing to do is try relocating L/D lever under seat to a different position to see if 3 pt will lift load. Another possibility is priority valve down by hyd filter is blocking flow/pressure to 3 pt hitch

·
Premium Member
7,935 Posts
Another thing that can "rob" hydraulic flow is if the internal lines for the PTO clutch or brake fail. See if changing the PTO from disengaged to engaged makes a difference.

Reactions: flyweight
1 - 7 of 7 Posts