Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John Deere 318 50-inch mower deck: Does anybody have a method for keeping the grass clippings and dirt from accumulating in the mower deck where the deck belt is located? I've tried thin foam gasketing under the shields or tape over the shields' to no avail. I think the problem is primarily around the opening to the pulley shaft, but I can't envision a way to place a collar or gasket to somewhat seal that hole. The debris gets wet and forms manure in there sometimes and causes a lot of rust. I've overcome the rust by using POR15, but I'd like to keep the crap from crowding the belts and wadding in there altogether.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hiya,

I gave up on that and used to run my 50" on my 330 and the 46 on the 318 with no belt covers on them, easy to control build up that way. :good2:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep, what they said.

·
Premium Member
9,322 Posts
Tried the weather strips. Finally just gave up. I keep the cover on but try to remove it mid year and end of year and clean it good.

I also brush a coat of paint under the cover each year to keep the rust down. I use the same trick SB does with his rubber strip on his snow plow. Grade 2 bolts, just twist them off when removing the cover. If I wash the tractor I try not to direct the spray at the deck cover to keep the chaff from rotting and that seems to help as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,394 Posts
When I had my JD 420 L&G Tractor with the 50 deck I had the same problem with grass build-up under the belt shields. I used a hole saw to cut a few ~ 1 1/4" vents in the top of the belt & spindle covers. Also used thick 1/4" washers with longer bolts to stand the covers off the deck.

After each mowing I'd then clean the deck with a leaf blower. The ventilation provided by the stand-off washers and cover holes allowed all of the clippings to be completely dispersed.

I used the 50 deck for about 10 years and eventually replaced it with a new, old stock 60 deck that I found. The covers on the 60 attached using a different method but I was able to perform a similar modification that worked equally as well.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome Thanks to my awesome friends

Hiya,

I gave up on that and used to run my 50" on my 330 and the 46 on the 318 with no belt covers on them, easy to control build up that way. :good2:
This seems to be the consensus of a number of you. But I see a potential safety issue with perhaps a pant cuff or shoe string getting entangled in the open belts/pulleys. They aren't completely under the tractor. Perhaps putting the spacer under the shields so it can be blown out each time as some have suggested, would be a better option for me.

I live in an arid climate and there is always dust and debris flying around when I mow to the extent that I usually wear a face mask. The engine filter clogs after a couple hours use and this housing will be filled in a few mowings. The only thing that keeps it from filling any more is it's already full! So removing it a few times a season isn't much of an option for me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
This seems to be the consensus of a number of you. But I see a potential safety issue with perhaps a pant cuff or shoe string getting entangled in the open belts/pulleys. They aren't completely under the tractor. Perhaps putting the spacer under the shields so it can be blown out each time as some have suggested, would be a better option for me.

I live in an arid climate and there is always dust and debris flying around when I mow to the extent that I usually wear a face mask. The engine filter clogs after a couple hours use and this housing will be filled in a few mowings. The only thing that keeps it from filling any more is it's already full! So removing it a few times a season isn't much of an option for me.
I'm pretty good about leaving all safety's in place on tractors or fixing them on the older tractors. I'm on my third Deere garden tractor, all with 50" mower decks. I have not had the shields installed on any of them. I don't see how not having the shields on the pulleys could be a safety issue. If you are getting off the tractor you should always turn the mower deck off? And if your on the tractor mowing, the seat pan would shield you from the pulleys. But as said maybe the spacer under the shields would be the answer?
I do think the mower deck looks better with the shields in place but due to convenience I leave them off but that is just my personal preference.

Let us know how you decide to fix the issue. Also if you get a chance lets see some pics of your setup.:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts