Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JD 318 I'm looking for a rototiller and I see there's 2 or possibly 3 different types. I've seen belt driven, hydraulic driven and possibly rear pto driven. What's the difference between the 3 and what would deliver more power?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Do you have the rear PTO for your 318? The issue with the PTO on the 318 is it is 2k rpm where most tractors are 500 rpm. So you have to find a tiller designed to run at the higher rpm. I have not really seen the other two so I can't comment on them. Someone else should be able to.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

The best tiller for a 318 without a rear gear-drive PTO is the 30 hydraulic tiller, by far... These attachments are a bit difficult to come by as most owners don't want to part with one -- but they are real tanks and do awesome work. The "belly pump version" has an hydraulic pump that mounts under the tractor where the deck normally would and is driven by the same belt as the deck would use, so the front PTO clutch is used. There is also a rear drive version (the one I have...) that adds the rear electric PTO clutch but does not use a gear reduction 2000 RPM drive as it's pump is also belt driven. Both versions use a set of lift arms that mount to the ends of the rear rock-shaft, so it lowers and raises with the hydraulic lift lever control arm that would have been used to lift the deck. They work like and look like this:
Tree Asphalt Grass Soil Road surface
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Lawn Motor vehicle

Chuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.