Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After rebuilding the engine and reinstalling I still have a bit of vibration on the machine. My next thought is to remove the drive belt and look at each of the pulleys. Not sure exactly what I am looking for. Will it be obvious if there is an issue with one of them based on a visual inspection? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Try running it with the belt off. If it still vibrates, it was not related. If the vibration stops, continue on this path.

·
Registered
395 Posts
On the 325, I believe you can lock the brake pedal down and eliminate all movement of the driveline, belt, pulleys, tranny etc.
Was this vibration new, worse, or non existent before the engine removal? Which engine do you have, the single cylinder or twin cylinder air cooled? Double check the engine mounting bolts for tightness. You already did that didn't you!

If the vibration proves to be beyond the engine, yes, a good visual inspection of the belt, idler pulleys, and the hydro fan should give up some clues. Look for bent, out of round flat idlers (plastic?) and v- pulleys, chunks of belt stuck in the V, chunks of belt missing, and loose fitting or debris filled hydro fan. Inspect the fan blades for cracks or other damage.

None of these bad boys are totally free of vibration at their best, but since you notice it, there is likely something wrong. Good for you for knowing you should check it out now before it becomes a bigger problem.

tommyhawk

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zebrafive and tommyhawk, thanks for the replies. This give me a place to start. This is a 18 hp Kawasaki twin air cooled. Yep I got the engine mounting bolts good, but will work on the other items. It’s a 2004 with 1400 hours so I need to be realistic, but think there is still something strange. I will work on what you guys mentioned to see if something stands out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have had a few 345. They have the double V belt. If that gets worn it will vibrate like crazy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts