Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased this zero turn about 3 months ago, but have only used it 3 times. The biggest issue is getting it started. It will crank and I have choked it where the dealer has told me to set it. The problem is, it takes along time for it to start. I'm assuming your going to suggest working with the choke, and I have done this alot. Once it starts, there is no problem with turning it off, it will start right back up. It will eventually start, but take more time than I think it should. I assume this is hard on the battery and starter. Anyone recommendations?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Every time I start mine I pull the choke all the way out and it fires up within a 2-3 seconds.
Cold weather and battery are the only things I can think of. I keep my mowers on battery tenders and they have proven to help tremendously.
The only other thing I can think of is there may be an issue with the choke. It may not be setup properly. I had a hustler that had this issue. My dealer had it in the shop and showed me where even with the choke pulled all the way out, it was not fully open. It had the same issue. Especially when it was cold. I had to attempt to start it for about 20 seconds and then stop and let the starter cool off before trying again. It was a pain to get started but once it got there, no issues until I started it again the next day. This was only when it sat for a few days or when it was under 60*.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do you know if or how I can fix the choke myself? Thank you
I do not know for sure.. I've never messed with the choke.. He had the top cover off of my engine when he showed it to me. The little flap would only open slightly with the choke knob pulled all the way up. He said it's a simple adjustment. I have installed numerous throttle cables on my hustler before. I got pretty good at it. It was easy to adjust where the cable connects to the piece on the engine. Sorry, I'm not mechanically inclined and I have no clue what most of this stuff is called.
I would trace the throttle cable to see if u can get a visual on that little flap to see if that's the issue. Then it should be a simple adjustment where the cable connects to it unless there is something else hanging it up.
I also use non-ethanol gas and add sea foam every time I fill up just to add a little piece of mind. It helps keep things running good for much longer than ethanol gas. I used to have to have my carbs replaced on my weedeaters about every 2 years cause of it. Not since using sea foam and non-ethanol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do not know for sure.. I've never messed with the choke.. He had the top cover off of my engine when he showed it to me. The little flap would only open slightly with the choke knob pulled all the way up. He said it's a simple adjustment. I have installed numerous throttle cables on my hustler before. I got pretty good at it. It was easy to adjust where the cable connects to the piece on the engine. Sorry, I'm not mechanically inclined and I have no clue what most of this stuff is called.
I would trace the throttle cable to see if u can get a visual on that little flap to see if that's the issue. Then it should be a simple adjustment where the cable connects to it unless there is something else hanging it up.
I also use non-ethanol gas and add sea foam every time I fill up just to add a little piece of mind. It helps keep things running good for much longer than ethanol gas. I used to have to have my carbs replaced on my weedeaters about every 2 years cause of it. Not since using sea foam and non-ethanol.
Thank you so much, I'm a 71 years young, female, and used to do a lot of my own maintenance. This is my first zero turn, just got tired of paying so much for yard work. So I'm going to see if we have any stations in Lubbock, Texas that carry non-ethanol fuel, wonder if it's ok to mix the two since I still have some fuel in tank with stabilizer. You've been very helpful, thanks alot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check your owners manual for minimum octane rating. The non-ethanol I get here I 89 bit I know some places have much lower grade stuff that may not be good for your engine.
You would be fine adding non-ethanol to what you already have in your tank. Won't hurt a thing. Just make sure the octane rating is good 👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.