Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery charging light came on yesterday and stays on. Has new battery. Mower has around 600 hrs. I think it is prob. voltage regulator but not sure. IF it is VR where is it located and best place to purchase, any guess on cost of VR. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
56 Posts
AUC12632 is the Deere part number should you need a regulator. They do fail from time to time, and at times the terminal block at the regulator gets grungy enough to not connect well. If you have a basic multimeter, you could check if the battery is being charged or not plus if you have AC output from the charge coil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AUC12632 is the Deere part number should you need a regulator. They do fail from time to time, and at times the terminal block at the regulator gets grungy enough to not connect well. If you have a basic multimeter, you could check if the battery is being charged or not plus if you have AC output from the charge coil.
Thanks for your replay I will update on my fix.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My battery charging light came on yesterday and stays on. Has new battery. Mower has around 600 hrs. I think it is prob. voltage regulator but not sure. IF it is VR where is it located and best place to purchase, any guess on cost of VR. Thanks for your help
Make sure it isn't charging before you spend money. Just because the battery light is ON doesn't mean it isn't charging. A quick check with a meter will tell you. Run at wide open throttle. Should have 13.5 to 14.5 volts dc.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure it isn't charging before you spend money. Just because the battery light is ON doesn't mean it isn't charging. A quick check with a meter will tell you. Run at wide open throttle. Should have 13.5 to 14.5 volts dc.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

I agree but what else could it be, maybe a loose connection?? Thanks for replying

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree but what else could it be, maybe a loose connection?? Thanks for replying
Yes, it could be a loose connection, bad stator, lost magnets on the flywheel, or the battery. I'm sure there are a few other things.

I wouldn't rule out the battery just because it's new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery charge light

Checked battery with meter, this is numbers:
13.2 not running, just removed batt. tender
4.73 idling
14.75 wide open throttle

I assume this means VR is working and charging batt. What next, this is a second mower and have no problem removing bulb in light, or is there a downside to this??? Thanks gentlemen for your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery charge light

I cleaned all connections I could get to w/o removing VR. What you think guys, any more suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
I cleaned all connections I could get to w/o removing VR. What you think guys, any more suggestions. Thanks
I just read through my GX345 manual - I assume the changing circuit and voltage light operates the same which I could be completely wrong.

Anyway, according to the manual current for the low voltage light is supplied by the VR if it sense a charging issue. Given your system is charging, it sounds like the charge indicator circuit within the VR is bad to me.

As far as where to buy one, I'm a fan of Pat's Small engines if it's a Kawasaki part and I can wait 10 days. Their shipping is slow but their prices are the lowest I have found.

Looks like it's a JD part. I buy most of my JD parts from Green Farm Parts and use the GTT discount code.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just read through my GX345 manual - I assume the changing circuit and voltage light operates the same which I could be completely wrong.

Anyway, according to the manual current for the low voltage light is supplied by the VR if it sense a charging issue. Given your system is charging, it sounds like the charge indicator circuit within the VR is bad to me.

As far as where to buy one, I'm a fan of Pat's Small engines if it's a Kawasaki part and I can wait 10 days. Their shipping is slow but their prices are the lowest I have found.

Looks like it's a JD part. I buy most of my JD parts from Green Farm Parts and use the GTT discount code.
So you think the VR is charging per the volt readings I posted but something in the VR circuit that feeds the charging light is bad and changing the VR should fix it. That sounds logical and I sure do appreciate the help. I checked at my jd store and vr is 71.00. EBAY aftermarket is 35.00. Thanks again my friend. I'll post up after I change.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So you think the VR is charging per the volt readings I posted but something in the VR circuit that feeds the charging light is bad and changing the VR should fix it. That sounds logical and I sure do appreciate the help. I checked at my jd store and vr is 71.00. EBAY aftermarket is 35.00. Thanks again my friend. I'll post up after I change.
Correct, if it were me, I would replace the VR.

However, I am personally not a fan of the cheap eBay aftermarket items - and would at least look for a brand like Stens.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct, if it were me, I would replace the VR.

However, I am personally not a fan of the cheap eBay aftermarket items - and would at least look for a brand like Stens.

Good luck
To update, I just removed the light bulb until spring when I will use the 345 more. Don't use enough and it is to cold to mess with it. Thanks for all your help. Happy NY

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 2000 345 had a six year old battery that died after running the mower picking up leaves and then shutting it down. I have a booster pack and jumped it. Volt meter read 12.8 after leaving it on a trickle charger overnight but dropped after running it. I bought a new battery (12.8V) however when i run the engine WOT, the volt meter does not jump into the 13-14V range, it stays in the high 12's. My Battery light does not light up on my dash. I don't know if I have a bad VR or Stator....

·
Premium Member
8,824 Posts
My 2000 345 had a six year old battery that died after running the mower picking up leaves and then shutting it down. I have a booster pack and jumped it. Volt meter read 12.8 after leaving it on a trickle charger overnight but dropped after running it. I bought a new battery (12.8V) however when i run the engine WOT, the volt meter does not jump into the 13-14V range, it stays in the high 12's. My Battery light does not light up on my dash. I don't know if I have a bad VR or Stator....
I would say you don't have a bad VR or stator. High 12's in charging volts is more than adequate the maintain the battery, in fact, I would be concerned that 14 volts or more would be over charging the battery.

Get a battery load tester and it can save you a ton of time and energy diagnosing these matters. Many batteries will show 12.+ volts on the voltmeter but under load which is stimulated by the battery tester, it gives the real condition of your battery. Here are the two images of the battery I tested in my tractor last week, first test of just Voltage shows it fine, under load, it shows the battery is weak. I replaced the battery so it doesn't fail me when I need it, which has been for snow plowing the last 3 hours this morning, already.

You can purchase the battery testers very reasonably, here is just one example.....

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-3180-Battery-Load-Tester/dp/B000F5HU6C/ref=sr_1_6?crid=190Y5HQXMISIS&keywords=12+volt+battery+tester+load+tester&qid=1573557876&sprefix=12+volt+battery+teste,aps,157&sr=8-6

Harbor Frieght also offers one at around the $20 price point. These are very handy for really diagnosing the battery condition, plus it also tests the charging system when the vehicle is running.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you measure at least 28VAC coming from the Stator your Stator is fine. I bought and replaced my VR, that was the problem. Mine was mounted on the rear of the battery tray and was pain to remove. Once I reinstalled the battery I tested it with a Meter (engine not running) and it measured 13.1 (versus 12.6 pre-replacement) and now 14.7 WOT. versus 12.6 WOT prior.

I purchased from JD the substituted part number AUC12632 per JDParts however the bolts that hold the old VR (AM126304) to the back of the battery tray are not long enough to remount the newer VR. Anyone else have this issue with the bolts?I mounted mine using a tie wrap for now.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Just be sure it is mounted good if it needs to be grounded or for cooling of the unit. Electronics and heat do not go well together or function if it needs to be grounded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts