Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a '96 JD345 with kawasaki fd590v at 1200 hrs. (still has the plastic gear). It started with an occasional light puff and now I'll get random 5 second burst of heavy blue smoke. Heavy enough to effect the engine. Also noticed some oil around one of the plugs.

Ideas?

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
Replace your cam.

When you throw off valve timing pressure may be misdirected anywhere.

Or you could run to system down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace your cam.

When you throw off valve timing pressure may be misdirected anywhere.

Or you could run to system down.

So the intermittent smoking can be caused by the plastic gear failing?

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
It can. You can do a compression and leak down test to verify its random.

The only other possibility is the breather, choking, but Ive never heard of that issue in a Kawasaki

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Mine went at 1359 hours. I put a little over $500 in parts but I went through the whole engine.Cam,governor,oil gear,new rings,coolant pump,new tappets valve spring had to get heavier ones due to the steel cam new thermostat and cap.
The next time you start it turn it over in idle then move it to choke that usually will cut down on the smoke.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am sure you already checked this, but just wanted to throw it out there in case you did not. Is the oil level over the full line perhaps? Is the puff of blue smoke only at start-up?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Wow.. We went from a few puffs of smoke to R/R a cam. ..

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Isn't that inevitable with the notorious plastic cam gear?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sure you already checked this, but just wanted to throw it out there in case you did not. Is the oil level over the full line perhaps? Is the puff of blue smoke only at start-up?
I've checked the oil and it was low. The smoking occurs while in the process of mowing. It started a few weeks ago as a random small puff and and now is 5-10 second periods of very heavy blue smoke. The smoking tends to occur while maneuvering, rough terrain or when engaging the blades but also occurs when mowing level smooth areas but not a frequent.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
My possibly mistaken thought pattern was blue smoke is fuel, white smoke is oil? I'm not 100% on that theory but my armchair advice would be to check out the carb float and needle seat. Could be running too high a fuel level and bumps and inclines causing a temporary ingestion of extremely rich mixture.

·
Registered
1 Posts
intermittent heavy blue smoke

What was the final diagnosis? My JD 345 is doing the same thing. Happens mostly when I have the mower blade going and mostly on rough terrain.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
Not the cheapest solution, but if your wallet doesn't regret it you never will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Darn, I was hoping to hear of the exact diagnosis. Always trying to learn...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A new x758.
That is correct - picked up the X758 last week :greentractorride:. Like it so far. Mowed my 3 week yard growth like a champ.

Still deciding whether to repair the 345 or sell it as is. Really think it's the plastic cam gear.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
That is correct - picked up the X758 last week :greentractorride:. Like it so far. Mowed my 3 week yard growth like a champ.

Still deciding whether to repair the 345 or sell it as is. Really think it's the plastic cam gear.
Inaccurate valve timing can cause all kinds of problems.

If it was me I'd sell it as is.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
The next time you start it turn it over in idle then move it to choke that usually will cut down on the smoke.
What was the final diagnosis? My JD 345 is doing the same thing. Happens mostly when I have the mower blade going and mostly on rough terrain.

This is how I start mine.You may have some blow by on the rings,does it use oil at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts