Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
History, have replaced just about everything on this boy, switch, computer circuit aboard, carb and has been running good but now a new problem. Before when I would start mower it wouldn't do anything and I would flip the PTO mower deck switch on and off and it would start, didn't have to do this every time but occasionally. Well now nothing so I replaced the PTO switch and still nothing. Turn switch on and red and green lights on circuit board light up some of time and some times not, not sure what that means. Battery is good. Any thoughts, thanks

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Check your ground wires.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,438 Posts
Safety switches will prevent the machine from starting. There are different engine versions of the 345, as well as a number of other changes, it would help knowing if your tractor has the FD590V engine or the FD611V engine. If you are not sure, just post your tractors serial number from the tractor itself as we can figure it out............Basically, either your tractor is a 1995 -1998 or a 1999-2001........

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ser # is M00345B099835. New twist, just for heck of it I hooked my battery jump box to it thinking the battery was good but not so sure now. Hit switch and solenoid started click like battery was weak. Charged battery and jump box and still solenoid clicking so I am thinking solenoid is bad, ebay item for 20.00. Could this be the problem?? Still puzzled why cycling the PTO switch in the past occasionally would let the mower fire up and run fine. These JD mower have way to much electronics on them for a lawn mower in my opinion, LOL.

·
Registered
27,283 Posts
Battery is good.
What do you mean by good? Have you had it load tested?

We see threads just like this all the time. Diagnostics run crazy and go down a rabbit hole. 9 times out of 10 it turns out to be a bad battery once it is finally load tested.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I say it was good is because its only about 2 yrs old and I know that doesn't man anything and I always 100% of time keep a battery tender on it when not in use. So even after I charged and jumped it with my jump box the solenoid clicked but no start. So do you still think it is battery or could it be solenoid? If battery was bad it should have started with the jump box or not? Appreciate all your reply's and suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,438 Posts
At this point, you have two choices,

1. Either remove the battery and take it to an Autozone, NAPA, O';Reilly's, et all and have them load test it.

2. Buy the load tester yourself and check it. You can get a decent load tester for under $40 on sale. They are INVALUABLE for testing any 12 volt battery and also seeing the basic performance of the charging system. Since you seem to like Amazon, here is one for you.

Short of load testing the battery, every thing else is a waste of your time...............Stop guessing what parts might be bad and actually test and diagnose the problem. Chances are, the battery is NOT supporting the load demand and that is your problem. But don't buy a new battery without LOAD testing the battery you have. Any other test of the battery means nothing in this situation..............so don't even waste your time.

As Stan, Coaltrain said, these batteries cause all sorts of odd electrical issues when they are failing. Some fail slowly, others fail immediately. You can only know for sure with a battery load test.

2 year old battery with battery tender is as likely to be bad as is it is good. Only a load test will tell for sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hooked by jump box up again and mower started right up. Let it run for a few and cut off and would not restart. OHM meter read 14.36 running and 13.25 when I shut it off. Tried hooking up jump box again and solenoid just clicked so I will have battery load tested tomorrow and report back. Again with that kind of ohm meter reading and with jump box hooked up shouldn't it start or if it has a dead cell would that explain it. Thanks again you guys are the best.

·
Registered
27,283 Posts
The reason I say it was good is because its only about 2 yrs old and I know that doesn't man anything and I always 100% of time keep a battery tender on it when not in use. So even after I charged and jumped it with my jump box the solenoid clicked but no start. So do you still think it is battery or could it be solenoid? If battery was bad it should have started with the jump box or not? Appreciate all your reply's and suggestions.
Not necessarily.

I along with many others here have had batteries that were bad enough they would not take a jump or work off a jump box.

The first time it happened to me I was running the tractor just fine for an hour or so. Loaded it on the trailer - then travelled to the next job 5 minutes away. Jump on the tractor.....nothing.

Took it home - thankfully it was stuck on the trailer - tried jumping it, charger both fast and trickle - nothing. New battery the next day and it was fine.

What happens is one cell can get a short - then the battery won't work at all.

If you have a multi meter you can load test it yourself if you have another pair of hands or clips to attach the leads to the battery. With the meter connected read it while the key is turned to the start position. If it drops to 10.5v or less the battery is bad.

Or you can take it to an auto parts store to have it load tested.

Or...if you have multiple equipment and vehicles, it's a good investment to get your self a cheap battery load tester. I use mine every fall to test the health of the batteries in everything.

With issues like you are having it is well worth the few minutes it takes to thoroughly check the battery before continuing on with any diagnosis. I've seen people throw hundreds of dollars of parts at a machine trying to guess what the problem is only to find in the end that the battery was bad to begin with.

Reactions: rwmeyer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As usual you guys were spot on. Swapped battery from my zero turn yesterday afternoon and fired right up. Checked it again this morning and fires up so I picked up a new battery and all is well until the next time. What confused me was not being able to jump the battery, never had a battery in all my yrs that I couldn't jump start. Live and learn.
U guys are the best, thanks so much for the help. Best to all and B well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.